LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pacesetter ory + magnaflow catback hits driveshaft.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 02:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter ory + magnaflow catback hits driveshaft.

I went to install my full exhuast today after driving open headers for a month and everything doesn't really fit at all.

The catback hits the driveshaft because the pacestter ory doesn't stick far enough towards the passenger side. I also had to trim the ory just to get the catback to even slip together.

Overall, I am very disappointed. Almost to the point where I am ready to sell the whole car and never buy a 4th gen again.

Nothing has ever fit well for me. For example:

LPE cai was a PITA to install and it still makes contact with the abs/traction control box in the fender well. Filter rubs right against it and the heat shield didn't fit properly.

Pacesetter long tube install... Don't even get me started with that ****. At least when everything was said and done the headers almost fit, except that the driver side hits rubs steering shaft.

The pacesetter ory fit terribly. It was difficult to get both pieces of the y pipe together because the angle of the driver side header.

The magnaflow catback fit awfully with the ory. In fact the ory just doesn't fit to begin with. My car is isn't drive able because I can't spin the drive-shaft without it hitting the i-pipe in the catback.

The only parts that went on smoothly where koni yellows and stano springs + swaybars. Sam Strano knows how to make an aftermarket part, everyone else.... wtf?

I am astonished that nothing fits.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Did you take off the S curve from the magnaflow? That's only if you are running a stock Y, the catback should just go straight back from the Y to the hump over and towards the passenger side over the axle. If your Y pipe exit is to the passenger side of the driveshaft, I can't see how it's possible to hit the driveshaft unless your trying to use the S curve.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Did you take off the S curve from the magnaflow? That's only if you are running a stock Y, the catback should just go straight back from the Y to the hump over and towards the passenger side over the axle. If your Y pipe exit is to the passenger side of the driveshaft, I can't see how it's possible to hit the driveshaft unless your trying to use the S curve.
Well the y pipe doesn't really exit the passenger side. It exits at an angle underneath the drive shaft towards the driver side. Even if I pull the whole thing towards the passenger side it starts to pull on the header, its like I said, it just doesn't seem to fit.

I tried pulling everything towards the passenger side but once all the clamps are tight there just isn't a way to pull it far enough over.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the headers hitting the steering shaft did you move the steering shaft over? If you loosen it up it will slide a little ways in both directions to gain a little more clearance. When the I pipe hits the driveshaft did you check it with the car in the air or on the ground? If my car is on stands the I pipe will hit the DS (actually rear U joint) but once it's on the ground with the suspension loaded everything clears fine.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

If the y is on correctly the outlet will run along the pass side of the driveshaft.
I cut the catback I pipe to fit the y and all fit well.
Like stated above suspension load will move the ds.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Pictures man, gotta be able to see what the hell is going on.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SilverSS07
As for the headers hitting the steering shaft did you move the steering shaft over? If you loosen it up it will slide a little ways in both directions to gain a little more clearance. When the I pipe hits the driveshaft did you check it with the car in the air or on the ground? If my car is on stands the I pipe will hit the DS (actually rear U joint) but once it's on the ground with the suspension loaded everything clears fine.
Yeah I totally screwed up. I was checking in the air with the suspension hanging

Got it on the ground and everything seems ok except the i pipe might be cutting it close with the rear end pumpkin and I am pretty sure the over axle pipe is lightly touching the panhard bar brace but I don't hear any rattling when driving so I am going to assume its ok to drive.

I love the headers but it does feel like I lost some low end torque not sure.

Oh and magnaflow is really frackin' quiet. I mean holy crap. I started it and it's quieter than my step-dads bone stock 00' ss and my car has longtubes +ory. I can't imagine how quiet magnaflow is with the cats in place.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

It'll come to life, every Magnaflow catback I've ever heard sounds great! You shouldn't feel low on bottom end Torque either, my car woke up everywhere with long tubes. It prolly needs a good tune put in it.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Teching In

i have pacesetter ory and magnaflow catback. went on super easy for me. and sounds amazing. You Just need to simply adjust steering shaft around headers as stated before.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Thats quiet to you? lol to ones own i guess
Old 10-10-2013, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Put a cutout on it and your good to go.. You didn't lose your torque it just moved up in the RPM band
Old 10-11-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Give it a chance, it'll get louder, I like it though.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

of course its quiet, you just went from open headers to a full exhaust. the magnaflow does get louder. its a nice sounding exhaust. just give it a little time.

Quick Reply: Pacesetter ory + magnaflow catback hits driveshaft.