LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Power steering and fuel filters

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering and fuel filters

Does your power steering whine? I've always associated a power steering whine as a bad thing and want to know if I should look into it. What power steering fluid do our cars take? I may use some of the Lucas oil power steering stop leak. I've seen it work really well on small engine leaks.

Also, I plan to put a new Fram fuel filter into the car as it's next on the list. Are there any I should look into besides Fram?

Thanks,
Old 10-08-2013, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just run the first thing I find that's cheap as far as power steering fluid goes, no issues.

I've heard a lot of bad crap about Fram filters, but my dad has run them all of his life, he is a ticket mechanic, with no issues . I've been running them as well with no problems
Old 10-08-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The plain Jane Fram filters are poor. Use NAPA Gold (made by Wix), Wix, ACDelco. There are some other good ones, but these are easy to get and cheaper.

If you don't have a power steering leak, don't add stop leak. Use the recommendation in the owner's manual. Probably most anything spec'd for a GM car would be fine. A whine could mean low fluid or air in the system or the pump could just be whiny (but shouldn't normally be).
Old 10-08-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shbox
The plain Jane Fram filters are poor. Use NAPA Gold (made by Wix), Wix, ACDelco. There are some other good ones, but these are easy to get and cheaper.

If you don't have a power steering leak, don't add stop leak. Use the recommendation in the owner's manual. Probably most anything spec'd for a GM car would be fine. A whine could mean low fluid or air in the system or the pump could just be whiny (but shouldn't normally be).
I'll grab an AC Delco.

Well there is definitely a leak, i should have mentioned that, because there is fluid all over the resovoir and rack. Eventually I want to get under the car and clean everything well enough to detect the actual leak but in the mean time I wanted to stop the leak which will simultaneously fill up the pump.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Veteran

You fix leaks by finding them and eliminating them-not with stop leak.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is true but sometimes you need a bandage before you can get to the doctor.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry, I'm not real fond of additives.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shbox
Sorry, I'm not real fond of additives.
I'm not either to be honest but Lucas makes good stuff.

I'll look at it this weekend, have to get the alternator bearings fixed first. The sound coming from it is unbearable. Luckly there's a guy who will do the parts and labor for about $40 in Little Rock.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All of my vehicles except the Impala get the generic stuff from AutoZone or Advance Auto.
Here's what I've found works best to keep the boiling/foaming under control in the Impala for roadcourse use:
Attached Thumbnails Power steering and fuel filters-valv-semi-syn-ps-fluid.jpg  

Quick Reply: Power steering and fuel filters