LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 TDC Hub Position

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT1 TDC Hub Position

My car is a 1993 Firebird Formula LT1 and I'm working on installing an LE2 head and cam package.
I've been reading some posts saying that lining up the the crankshaft hub and pulley does not matter.
Looking at the picture of mine, you can tell that hub was not lined up correctly at TDC. The mark on the hub that should be in the 12:00 position is in the 7:00 position in the picture. The white mark is just there for my reference of how the pulley came off the hub.
In the picture of the pulley, I circle what looks like a weight. If it doesn't matter how the hub and pulley are oriented, why would there be a weight in the pulley? When I reinstall the hub and pulley I would like to orient them so they are at the 12:00 position at TDC, but the thing that looks like a weight is making me hesitant to do so. Does anybody have any input on this?
Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails LT1 TDC Hub Position-pa200011.jpg   LT1 TDC Hub Position-pa200016.jpg  
Old 10-20-2013, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The GM service manual says to always install it correctly at TDC (especially when there is a weight in the pulley).
Old 10-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That settles my internal debate. Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

The damper is zero balanced. There is no heavy side. The LT1 engine is internally balanced in the front therefore it does not matter how it goes on. In the 15+ years I've dealt with these cars and internet message boards I have never encountered a LT1 4th gen f-body owner claim their engine seemed "out of balance" by not installing the damper at TDC. The weight you see is nothing more than the damper itself being at a neutral or zero balance.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

the pin weight on the balancer would be to make the balancer itself neutral. It would appear the hub was reinstalled with no thought as to replacing it so the "pointer" was on top with #1 piston at TDC on compression stroke.

I would/do put the hub back on in correct position but since the LT1 balancer is neutral and motor is externally balanced from the rear with a weighted flexplate or flywheel you would be "OK" leaving it the way it is. IMHO better to have the pointer in correct position.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Village Troll

If the damper is zero balanced then why should it matter what way it goes on?
Old 10-21-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SS RRR
If the damper is zero balanced then why should it matter what way it goes on?
It would be my choice if only so a pointer/mark would be at 12 o clock when # 1 & 6 piston is at TDC on their respective compression stroke

from an engine balance standpoint it doesn't matter

I have a ATI with keyed hub so it always goes on right but as we all know the stock LT1 hub is not keyed
Old 10-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Village Troll

I would never trust a non-keyed hub to maintain TDC and use it as a reference. I have a much easier, very accurate way of finding TDC. It involves a 5/8" socket, wrench and a McDonald's straw.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

nor would I Mr SS

my point is/was, jusk like Rob's, is the hub should be installed with pointer at 12 o clock as the factory put them on with # 1 or 6 @ TDC on compression stroke. It is more of a visual reference more than anything, not to determine 'dead nuts" TDC. Will the Op's world end if it isn't, no.

watching the rocker position as motor is rotated by hand, yes 5/8" socket :-), and visually refrenceing a pointer (that I know is positioned correctly) or in my case detailed marking on ATI balancer, is what I do.

Your "straw" tool is also a way.

Again in th eOp's ? I believe he was asking thinking the pin in his balancer was for "motor" balance and he knows the pointer is not in the correct position when he is at TDC

I think we have covered his ?
Old 10-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Village Troll

Fortunately with these engines you really do not need a visual aid. If one wants to adjust valves using the damper as a reference then the most accurate way is to use a straw to find TDC and note the position of the pointer and go from there. That's about all it's good for other than piece of mind for those that a are a little OCD overboard and to claim the damper is correctly referenced. Basically what I'm getting at is it should serve no function other than to claim, "Hey bro, the pointer is true!"
Old 12-04-2023, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tdc

Originally Posted by blackfire93
My car is a 1993 Firebird Formula LT1 and I'm working on installing an LE2 head and cam package.
I've been reading some posts saying that lining up the the crankshaft hub and pulley does not matter.
Looking at the picture of mine, you can tell that hub was not lined up correctly at TDC. The mark on the hub that should be in the 12:00 position is in the 7:00 position in the picture. The white mark is just there for my reference of how the pulley came off the hub.
In the picture of the pulley, I circle what looks like a weight. If it doesn't matter how the hub and pulley are oriented, why would there be a weight in the pulley? When I reinstall the hub and pulley I would like to orient them so they are at the 12:00 position at TDC, but the thing that looks like a weight is making me hesitant to do so. Does anybody have any input on this?
Thanks,
MINE HAS THAT CIRCLE AT THE BOTTOM WEN IT IS TDC CORVETTE 95 lt1

Quick Reply: LT1 TDC Hub Position