LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Parking Brakes ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brakes ???

My parking brake was INOP, after a quick inspection I noticed that the front brake cable was broken at the lever. I replaced that cable but I noticed their is no adjustment at the "T" where the front cable splits into the 2 rear cables. Now that the car (1995 Camaro Z28, convertible) is back on the ground the parking brake is still INOP. Next weekend I'm going jack it back up and inspect the rear disc. I assume that I have mini-shoe pads with a star shaped adjustment wheel inside the rear disc. I'm looking for some advice, pictures, videos, or diagrams. I'll take any real world advice.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:19 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome I Shine to LS1tech! SEARCH will be your best friend around here.

The 1993~1997 Camaro & Firebird cars had the parking brake inside the rear calipers. Pulling the E-brake cable pulls an arm that turns a shaft that squeezes the pads together.

These cars did NOT have a separate mini drum brake like late F-body cars and many other vehicles.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Many of these cars have problems with the ratcheting mechanism in the rear calipers locking up. This can cause the E-brake to be inop. Try removing the rear calipers and running them back in. If they do not move, they will need replacement.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Well after inspecting the rear brakes I found that the right side was not even connected. It moves freely so I reconnected it. The left side seem to be crooked and the cable was binding and very hard to move. I ordered a new cable and attempted to install it yesterday. Come to find out the bolt that hold the bracket to the caliper had sheered. I found out while trying to attach the cable the tension spring popped out. After further inspection I noticed that there was no nut and the bolt had previously sheered. I guess I have a trip to pick and pull this weekend. That tension spring looks like it will be a pain in the A$$ to get back on.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced both the rear cables on my E-brakes this weekend. Wanted to get it working since it's a 94 car with a 02 rear. Just a little info that may save you some time. You may know this already, but there is a circular section on the e-brake handle that has a ratchet on it. If you disengage the ratchet catch and rotate it, you will get about six inches of extra slack in the cable. The first time you apply the e-brake it will self adjust to take the slack back out
Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Hey Brian, does this 94 car with a 02 rear have the later rear LS1 brakes or earlier LT1 rear brakes?
Old 10-30-2013, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

It has the LS1 rear brakes
Old 10-30-2013, 05:49 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Gotcha. The master cylinders are different, just wondering if you changed that too.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Gotcha. The master cylinders are different, just wondering if you changed that too.
It was swapped before I got the car. I've thought about it before, but never actually really looked at it too thoroughly since the brakes seem to work great. I'd be curious to know the difference. I believe there may be a bias change between them. I really should change the front spindles and go with the 98-02 fronts also.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:28 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

When I converted my '99 to LT1 rear brakes, the brake pedal would first ''drop'' like a half inch before the brakes ''caught''. It was annoying. I determined the LT1 rear calipers needed a residual pressure valve like drum brakes do. This valve is built into the LT1 master cylinder. swapping the LS MC to a LT MC cured it. One fitting is different and made the swap somewhat challanging.

Quick Reply: Parking Brakes ???