LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Miss only under load

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Miss only under load

Symptoms started all at once. It runs fine at any RPM under light load, but as soon as I give it any gas it won't even accelerate. Car does it hot or cold, at pretty much any RPM. No check engine light either.

Video

Old 01-09-2014, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check fuel pressure and injectors. Also make sure all wires are on good and tight. I had a misfire problem around 2-3k rpms and was the opti. However i'd check fuel first, always go for easy items before blaming opti.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

sounds like just weak spark, whether all the plugs are shot, or the coil maybe went weak
Old 01-09-2014, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

Should the fuel pressure drop at all with a free rev? Gauge is too short to tape to my windhshield, and I'm getting about 4 psi of drop with the vacuum line off with reving it in neutral.

Last edited by speed_demon24; 01-09-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

a stumble/misfire "under load" can be a bad plug wire arcing. Certainly other things but look very close at night while engine is running at each plug area for any arcing. can be hard to see sometimes. I discovered mine while car was on stands, engine running, from underneath. it was arcing between plug heat shield and plug wire boot

does your FP drop 4psi and stay dropped with sustained throttle? a 4 psi drop should not cause a misfire...assuming it started 38-42 psi in the first place
Old 01-09-2014, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ******
a stumble/misfire "under load" can be a bad plug wire arcing. Certainly other things but look very close at night while engine is running at each plug area for any arcing. can be hard to see sometimes. I discovered mine while car was on stands, engine running, from underneath. it was arcing between plug heat shield and plug wire boot

does your FP drop 4psi and stay dropped with sustained throttle? a 4 psi drop should not cause a misfire...assuming it started 38-42 psi in the first place
Found a way to get the gauge to reach the windshield. It's not the fuel pressure. Wires are less than a year old and they are firecores, but I'll check that anyway after it gets dark. Sometimes it feels like it completely shuts off when it happens. Trying to check the coil now.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Swapped out the coils, that's not it. Any chance of it being the ICM or is it pretty much guaranteed to be the opti?
Old 01-09-2014, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

**** it, this opti has 50+k miles on it. Ordered a delphi off amazon, should be here saturday.

Item Subtotal: $254.72
Shipping & Handling: $8.99
Promotion Applied: -$20.00
Total Before Tax: $243.71
Order Total: $243.71
Old 01-09-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

..well if you jumped in to buy a opti than go ahead and swap....although no guarentees that is it. 50k is not high milage on a opti but not a bad idea to at least inspect/replace cap & rotor

...and use dialectic grease on connections both plug & opti

since opti is coming off, inspect TC seals as wp drive is prone to leaks. FelPro TC gasket kit will have all of the seals/gaskets you need for $10
Old 01-10-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The icm can be tested very easily at a parts store. Just have them test it multiple times in a row. If it fails once it's trash.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
The icm can be tested very easily at a parts store. Just have them test it multiple times in a row. If it fails once it's trash.
Wouldn't the ICM be RPM dependent not load dependent?
Old 01-11-2014, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
yeah but who knows with these cars??? easy to do within the time you get your new opti in...
Old 01-11-2014, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
ICM is more heat sensitive since it is a semiconductor with a heat sink, the secondary ignition is what is load sensitive if insulation is breaking down somewhere between coil, coil wire, distributor, wires or spark plug. People forget the coil wire gets 8x the sparks of the other wires and it would affect all cylinders. That needs to be replaced more often. Engine/coil also needs a good common, don't forget. 15kv or whatever it is firing at has to return somehow. Also if old plug wires get damp from the car sitting outside, that can do it, but it sometimes cures itself when it warms up. Also there is the old corrosion in the opti connector problem.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like several others have said check the park plugs!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

Plugs are only a couple months old. I've had a high rpm hick up for 5+ years that I couldn't figure out, so now I have an excuse to do the opti to see if that cures it.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:16 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it misfires when lugged, even at low RPM, it won't be the ignition module or fuel pressure. 90% chance it's a plug or wire. Old trick that works very well is water & denatured alcohol mixed in a spray bottle. In the shade or kinda dark area spray the plugs & wires with that mixture. Water alone just beads up, won't sheet & cover the whole surface. The alcohol breaks the surface tension, and the water will completely cover the wires, their boots and spark plugs. AC & NGK plugs have resister problems that won't show up like this. Spark leaks will you will be able to see the spark jump to ground in the shade or dark. Possibly hear it. Depends on how bad it leaks. My tune up shop had way too many of the afore mentioned plugs come back in a month or less. We found Autolite plugs to give us fewer problems like that.

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
If it misfires when lugged, even at low RPM, it won't be the ignition module or fuel pressure. 90% chance it's a plug or wire. Old trick that works very well is water & denatured alcohol mixed in a spray bottle. In the shade or kinda dark area spray the plugs & wires with that mixture. Water alone just beads up, won't sheet & cover the whole surface. The alcohol breaks the surface tension, and the water will completely cover the wires, their boots and spark plugs. AC & NGK plugs have resister problems that won't show up like this. Spark leaks will you will be able to see the spark jump to ground in the shade or dark. Possibly hear it. Depends on how bad it leaks. My tune up shop had way too many of the afore mentioned plugs come back in a month or less. We found Autolite plugs to give us fewer problems like that.

Good luck.
Running autolite plugs and firecore wires. Wires are about a year old and plugs are about 3 !months old. This is next on my list, but I've been wanting to try an opti to see if it fixes the high rpm hickups I've been having for years. It won't even accelerate at all when I give it the gas how it sits now.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

man i could of sold you a hardly used gm opti for like 100 bucks. Another problem it could to be honest is the o2 sensors. My buddy welded in subframe connectors on my car and i guess forgot to unhook the battery. Needless to say having my h/c/i lt1 getting passed by inivan as i missfire and hardly make it up a hill was rather emberassing.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:18 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

O2 sensors will not make it miss. What I mentioned will show up a leaky plug wire boot in a heart beat.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
O2 sensors will not make it miss. What I mentioned will show up a leaky plug wire boot in a heart beat.
Im just speaking from personal experience, my o2s were maxed car missed like crazy, only thing I replaced and it fixed it. However I do agree with checking wires and thats one of the first things I do along with fuel pressure.

Quick Reply: Miss only under load