LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Issues after clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues after clutch install

So I just got done installing a new clutch (CC stage 2) and I have a few issues. First thing is, I broke one of the connections on my transmission. I think it is the Vegicle Speed Sensor because my speedo isn't working and I'm getting a code for it. Does this cause any problems for the car other than the speedometer not working? Where can I get a new one for the manual transmission? 2nd, on takeoff the car is very shaky, is this just the new clutch breaking in? Lastly, the car is very jumpy and wants to buck a lot now at lower speeds, and especially when taking off. Is this the new clutch also, or is it the VSS, or something completely different? Thanks
Old 07-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Not sure about the speed sensor. Have you tried an autoparts store? Dealer? GMParts Direct? Rock Auto?
As far as clutch engagement, make sure the slave rod is seated properly on the clutch fork cup. Did you make sure the clutch fork is fully engaged onto the throwout bearing? What did you torque the pressure plate bolts to?
Old 07-12-2014, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

google T56 VSS sensor...the pigtail or sensor itself

assuming you installed the clutch correctly, it sounds like you are experiencing "clutch chatter" which is associated with clutch disc material more aggressive than full face organic discs (stock). I believe the CC 2 is a segmented puc type disc (ceramic) and they are prone to chatter especially during the 500+ mi break in period. Best not to "slip" the clutch on engagement. you may have to adjust your engagement technique (RPM + clutch release) to find the sweet spot

if you didn't resurface/replace your FW...that will contribute to chatter also using a new clutch
Old 07-12-2014, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Checked the VSS, I forgot to plug it in
Pressure plate was torqued to 35 ft lbs
As for the clutch chatter, I was probably just paranoid, it is getting a little better after a small amount if driving.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Also I forgot to ask, I'm having a problem getting the car into reverse. The shifter won't go past the gate like sideways. I checked the plug on the reverse lockout solenoid with a multimeter and it was getting current. Any ideas?
Old 07-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallj
Also I forgot to ask, I'm having a problem getting the car into reverse. The shifter won't go past the gate like sideways. I checked the plug on the reverse lockout solenoid with a multimeter and it was getting current. Any ideas?
The connectors for the skip shift and reverse lockout are the same. I have swapped them before and had the same problem. Didn't notice the skip shift since it's turned off.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

PP torque spec is pretty low like 22 ft/lbs. I usually just set the torque wrench to 25 and go from there after seating the pressure plate. Stock bolts are grade 5 but I doubt 35 is too much for them.

And yeah, puck clutches are a little bit nastier. That and any time you upgrade friction materials you're gonna get chatter. I kinda miss my OEM style clutch, it was almost brainless to drive.

Quick Reply: Issues after clutch install