LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best Y-pipe merge, hooker?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Best Y-pipe merge, hooker?

I was looking at the pacesetter ypipe and the merge from two pipes into one doesn't look that smooth, I then was checking out the hooker y-pipe and it looks like it has a very smooth merge into one pipe and should flow better than the pacesetter y-pipe. I was thinking of getting the ceramic coated pacesetter headers and getting the hooker y-pipe to go with it, Do you think they would connect together easy and work? Anyone have any suggestions about a good header and y-pipe set-up besides the super expensive kooks?

I also wonder if hooker makes headers with the egr and air hook ups?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Hooker super comps and they came with plumbing for egr/air I capped off with some JIC caps. They are a nice set and you can get them for not too much money with an ORY.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Banned

I wouldnt try using a header from one mfr and a Y pipe from another. I think im reading the onset of OCD here. Hookers are CARB legal header (as are pacesetters) so they will have egr & air fittings - a CARB number on the #1 cyl header pipe also.

Headman makes a nice shorty header to but no CARB number. I dont know if that makes a difference to u because u dont have location in your profile - or hardly anything else.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry Cardo0, I thought I put Michigan in my profile. I don't believe we have testing for emissions up here. I think a cat-converter is required though but I have never heard of anyone checking for one? anyways,,,,

I agree some OCD is setting in! I want to get it right the first time. I just feel that the engine and pcm will agree with headers that keep the egr and air hook-ups. I don't want to worry about the car throwing codes and having to tune the codes out.

I really like the hookers but they cost more than the pacesetters. I keep seeing the race only headers for sale that don't have any hookups. Have to keep shopping for a good deal for when it pops up.

Did you like your pcm for less tune? They are who I was thinking of sending my pcm too this winter.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:22 AM
Banned

I had Headmen (shorty) hdrs in CA but had to take them off as no CARB # and no pass smog there. Now in Nevada only emission fittings/hardware are needed, no CARB # required and they dont test for NOx here either. Those Headmens fit great with my lower 1" springs while my Edlebrocks hit the Y on every speed bump. I read good reports on MAC headers as they are a little longer than "shorties" and give great spark plug access but i know for fact they dont have a CARB # even though they have all the smog fittings u need. But like u say no testing in Michigan then the headmen LT that i mentioned are best for short cam 350 and u can delete the AIR & EGR. Dont know why u are looking at shorties when u can get 1&5/8" LT headers. Cat converters are a federal requirement so any street car will need one. But if MI doesnt test then u have a license to kill - think about it. Learn the smog laws (and how/what they test) before u spend your money.

Until u learn how to data-log and tune yourself the PCM4less is the best deal out there. My tune was a definite improvement/worth the money but once u get into more complicated mods the $200 and 11 day turnaround will limit u and expensive enough so u then really need a dyno tune. Common mods and cams like headers/catback and a Comp Cams whatever cam should be easy for PCM4less. I picked up a used spare PCM for 40 bucks and can swap my original back in within 30 min. But once u can laptop tune every tune can be saved as a file. Just relocating your MAF sensor makes dyno tune a must. Big heads, big cam, exh cutouts need dyno tune also.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just seen the mufflex lt1 y pipe and it looks like a perfect y pipe, best I have seen so far but it is like $300.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flowmaster merge is a really good piece. It will set you back a few bucks, but if any local exhaust places have bends on hand I'd have a y pipe fabricated using the bends and flowmaster merge, of course if it is more than on the shelf options like the mufflex then guess it is time to order a ypipe if you don't like the pacesetter one.

Last edited by camar0corey; 08-03-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

That flowmaster does have a really nice merge! Shouldn't have much rasp and such with it. I will have to look into that flowmaster too. thanks for all the input guys.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the one from Mufflex has the Flowmaster merge in it. I have the Hooker Y-pipe with my Hooker LT's. It's not quite as nice as the Mufflex but's one of the better one's out there.

Quick Reply: Best Y-pipe merge, hooker?