LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Low Voltage from a '96 Trans Am A4

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 08:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Low Voltage from a '96 Trans Am A4

Last night, I was heading to the race track here in town, to go watch some races. All of sudden the voltage meter is reading in the yellow &(less then 12 volts) as we were driving the more the dash lights in the car, plus headlights were getting incredibly dimmed. All of the dash lghts were going crazy! The Low Oil light came on, the ABS INOP light came on, and my check guages has been on since this problem. Than at a certain point the signal lights were not turning on, neither were my headlamps were flipping up. All of sudden, the transmission downshifts into 3rd by itself, wouldn't want to go into 4th. So, I Initially got off the freeway and made a course for home. while heading home, the car was not responding to throttle response as it usually does. Further more down the road, the more weirder the car would act. Until I got to a light and took off and the car felt in a high gear and felt incredibly sluggish. Long story short, I ended jump starting the car to get back home. Prior to this I went to autozone to get the battery checked out and read normal but needed to be recharged. This morning I took off the old battery, and took it to autozone to exchange it for another newer battery (thinking this solved my problem.) I put it on and it's still doing the same ****. I couldn't diagnose the problem any more since I had to go to work.
The alternator is barely a month old, starter is a week and a half old. The only thing I can think of is my alternator is defective. (all of these items that were listed now all have warranty.) Any opinions & solutions are welcomed. Thank You very much!

Last edited by LTX_Alex; 02-21-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds to me like you lost your alternator or the regulator inside maybe, or possibly some wiring to/from the alternator or ground somewhere. If you replace the alternator, make sure and check all the related cables and grounds to get the juice back to the battery and chassis.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:58 AM
Launching!

I'd replace the alternator again, I had very similar problems (headlights dimming and minor engine issues). Checked my alternator and it was charging at about 12 volts. Check if you're getting the 14 or so you should be from yours.

I put a delco in mine and the car is super happy besides the alternator being a bit noisy
Old 02-21-2015, 12:03 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

If the car will run on its own, check the alternator with a volt meter. It should be giving you a steady 14 or maybe 14.5v. The two important things are that it is more than 12 volts and the reading is rock steady. If it the voltage is lower and/or fluctuating the alternator is no good.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Smile

Alright, I will change it when I get off of work. I will keep you guys informed on the latest news after I change it.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Alright everyone, I took off the alternator. Than I took it to autozone put it on the test and it failed twice in a row. After, I was able to get another alternator; put it on & no problems after.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Glad to hear. There's not much more irritating than electrical problems
Old 02-23-2015, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaxem
Glad to hear. There's not much more irritating than electrical problems

I agree!!

Quick Reply: Low Voltage from a '96 Trans Am A4