LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trust Machine Shop On Bearing Clearance or Plastigage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trust Machine Shop On Bearing Clearance or Plastigage?

I am building my first engine (LT1 383) and picked up my block and rotating assembly from the machine shop (well respected performance shop with a lot of experience). They speced the bearings and I have the measured clearance of each individual bearing and not just a general number/range.

Considering that, do you think I should still plastigage them to double check? I had originally planned to, but in thinking about it their measuring tools were clearly superior and they know what they're doing.

Thoughts?
Old 02-23-2015, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1quickTransAm
I am building my first engine (LT1 383) and picked up my block and rotating assembly from the machine shop (well respected performance shop with a lot of experience). They speced the bearings and I have the measured clearance of each individual bearing and not just a general number/range.

Considering that, do you think I should still plastigage them to double check? I had originally planned to, but in thinking about it their measuring tools were clearly superior and they know what they're doing.

Thoughts?
Plastiguage has nothing on the tools they use. What were the specs?

If you do want to double check then use bore gauges and a micrometer that reads to the 10 thousands of an inch.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Front two mains were .0021 and back two were .0025. Rods were all between .0022 and .0025.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

IMHO...

Bore gauges and micrometers are what is best(with the proper resolution), but plastigauge is better than nothing to do a double check(....and as with a bore gauge, you must use it properly). After all, we are all human and we do make mistakes from time to time. Better to double check now than find out later with engine trouble.

For what it's worth, the GM factory F-body manual(1996) specifically states(page 6A3B-24) to use plastigauge to check the main/rod bearing clearances. It does not mention anything about using a bore gauge. They didn't call it plastigauge though, they called it "gaging plastic". So...for them not to even mention bore gauge tells me that there is validity in the measurement method.

I used plastigauge to select the new bearing shells when I replaced the rod and main bearings in my LT1. I must have done something right as I still have 25-30psi at idle 3+ years later(and many, many track passes). I also had no trouble with my crank being out of round/spec either(I verified that with a micrometer).

Plastigauge is something I would not expect a performance engine shop to use as the defacto measurement standard for checking clearances. However, it does have it's place as being useful for those of us who do not build engines on a day to day basis.

Last edited by ACE1252; 02-24-2015 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Just for reference, here are a few threads on what I went through a few years ago when working on the bearing replacement for my LT1...cam, rod, and mains(and why I replaced them).

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-...ctures-713070/
http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-...arings-746672/
http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-...arings-749300/
Old 02-24-2015, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Plastiguage has nothing on the tools they use. What were the specs?

If you do want to double check then use bore gauges and a micrometer that reads to the 10 thousands of an inch.
I think this poster means tenths of an inch (0.0001") not to be confused with 10 thousands of an inch (0.010"). digital mics will be preferred, a standard analog can be a little bit up to interpretation when it comes to reading in such fine measurements in regards to a mic.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are assembling the motor I would check and compare it to their measurements. And I would use plastigage at the very least. Just for the piece of mind.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by myltwon
I think this poster means tenths of an inch (0.0001") not to be confused with 10 thousands of an inch (0.010"). digital mics will be preferred, a standard analog can be a little bit up to interpretation when it comes to reading in such fine measurements in regards to a mic.
I meant to the ten thousands of an inch. Like 0.000X". A tenth of an inch is 0.X". What you typed was 10 thousands inch or 0.010", also known a hundredths of an inch. Versus to the thousandth of an inch which is 0.00X". If someone says 25 ten thousandths inch they are saying 0.0025". If they say 25 thousandths inch they are saying 0.025". Make sense? Bearings should have clearances to the 10 thousandths of an inch.

Last edited by hrcslam; 02-24-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ACE1252
IMHO...

Bore gauges and micrometers are what is best(with the proper resolution), but plastigauge is better than nothing to do a double check(....and as with a bore gauge, you must use it properly). After all, we are all human and we do make mistakes from time to time. Better to double check now than find out later with engine trouble.

For what it's worth, the GM factory F-body manual(1996) specifically states(page 6A3B-24) to use plastigauge to check the main/rod bearing clearances. It does not mention anything about using a bore gauge. They didn't call it plastigauge though, they called it "gaging plastic". So...for them not to even mention bore gauge tells me that there is validity in the measurement method.

I used plastigauge to select the new bearing shells when I replaced the rod and main bearings in my LT1. I must have done something right as I still have 25-30psi at idle 3+ years later(and many, many track passes). I also had no trouble with my crank being out of round/spec either(I verified that with a micrometer).

Plastigauge is something I would not expect a performance engine shop to use as the defacto measurement standard for checking clearances. However, it does have it's place as being useful for those of us who do not build engines on a day to day basis.
I agree with everything you said here. The Plastiguage is a very useful tool. But I certainly wouldn't use the plastigage as a correction to the machine shop and their much more accurate tools.

I used both the plastigage and bore Guage with a Mic on my build. I went with the bore guages for my official measurements. For a stock rebuild, I wouldn't bother with bore guages.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

No offense to OP, but if you have never used a bore mic or regular mic, learning on your engine prob isn't the best choice.

In this case, plastigage it for peace of mind and then call it a day.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:16 AM
TECH Veteran

If you don't trust your machine shop to set up your clearances correctly then you shouldn't be using that machine shop.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:19 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
If you don't trust your machine shop to set up your clearances correctly then you shouldn't be using that machine shop.
Exactomundo. Machine shops should be chosen or avoided on their reputation. If you are going to take caps off and measure you might as well build the thing yourself.
OP, if you are on the east coast near Maryland I can recommend a shop that has done many LTx/LSx platforms.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Exactomundo. Machine shops should be chosen or avoided on their reputation. If you are going to take caps off and measure you might as well build the thing yourself.
OP, if you are on the east coast near Maryland I can recommend a shop that has done many LTx/LSx platforms.
The motor is not assembled according to his post.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:02 AM
Village Troll

Whoopsie.

If the caps are off go ahead and check them anyway if it will give you peace of mind.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Never trust anyone's word. They can make a mistake, could have set-up their dial bore gauge incorrectly, etc... In the end, if you are the assembler, you are responsible for everything being right.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

SS RRR, what is the machine shop in the Maryland area you are referring to? I am in process of getting a 383 LT1 together.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:20 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by ringmaster72
SS RRR, what is the machine shop in the Maryland area you are referring to? I am in process of getting a 383 LT1 together.
Burtonsville Performance Machine

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Burto...54349891267211

Last edited by SS RRR; 02-26-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hrcslam
I meant to the ten thousands of an inch. Like 0.000X". A tenth of an inch is 0.X". What you typed was 10 thousands inch or 0.010", also known a hundredths of an inch. Versus to the thousandth of an inch which is 0.00X". If someone says 25 ten thousandths inch they are saying 0.0025". If they say 25 thousandths inch they are saying 0.025". Make sense? Bearings should have clearances to the 10 thousandths of an inch.
Tenths of thousandths of an inch, I forgot to include the "of thousands" portion. In machining a tenth is short hand for this, almost never will anyone refer to a tenth as 0.100" unless they've not been in the environment long, and almost as unlikely will anyone call it by its longer name. I've yet to hear anyone refer to 0.0001" as 10 thousandths of an inch. If someone called out a true position of 10 thousandths on a hole position, you'd think you had a pretty wide open geometric tolerance, not butt pucker tight 1 tenth. You might be thinking of 1/10 of a thousandths of an inch (aka 1 tenth to a machinist/engineer/drafter).

Since this topic refers to automotive machine shops and machinist inspection tools, machine shop nomenclature is what takes presidence.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

geo position of 1 tenth? lulz at that bill... machinist may scream bloody murder too.

With a positional tolerance of a tenth or two, you would have a damn perfect hole diameter as well, .000001 status lol
Old 02-25-2015, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by myltwon
Tenths of thousandths of an inch, I forgot to include the "of thousands" portion. In machining a tenth is short hand for this, almost never will anyone refer to a tenth as 0.100" unless they've not been in the environment long, and almost as unlikely will anyone call it by its longer name. I've yet to hear anyone refer to 0.0001" as 10 thousandths of an inch. If someone called out a true position of 10 thousandths on a hole position, you'd think you had a pretty wide open geometric tolerance, not butt pucker tight 1 tenth. You might be thinking of 1/10 of a thousandths of an inch (aka 1 tenth to a machinist/engineer/drafter).

Since this topic refers to automotive machine shops and machinist inspection tools, machine shop nomenclature is what takes presidence.
Point taken. We refer to these measurements differently in aviation then. 0.0001" tolerance would be referred to the ten thousands of an inch since it's called 1 ten thousandths of an inch. Bearing clearances between 0.0035" and 0.0025" would require a tool tolerance to the ten thousandths of an inch.

Quick Reply: Trust Machine Shop On Bearing Clearance or Plastigage?