LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ignition Retard Box

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Retard Box

Hey guys I am getting closer to finishing off my nitrous set up for my LT1. I plan to spray any where from 125-150 depending on the dyno tune session and how the car reacts to it. I currently have supporting items for the nitrous that include; NX window switch, AEM AFR/FP gauges, Racetronix 255 fuel pump w/hotwire kit, and I will be purchasing Nitrous Outlet's 52mm plate kit here this week as well as their purge kit. My question is, what ignition box do you guys use to pull timing for the nitrous hits? I want to keep performance of the car when I am without the nitrous, thus the reasoning for the ignition box.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Mallory 685 has pretty much all the features you will want in one box, no addon, no pills etc. Window switch to shut it down during the shift, rev limit and retard all in one box. Set the pcm fuel cutoff based rev limit high and set the box lower, having the pcm shut down fuel while on the bottle would likely be fatal to the motor.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The Mallory 685 has pretty much all the features you will want in one box, no addon, no pills etc. Window switch to shut it down during the shift, rev limit and retard all in one box. Set the pcm fuel cutoff based rev limit high and set the box lower, having the pcm shut down fuel while on the bottle would likely be fatal to the motor.
I have read tons of posts about the Mallory 685, but I feel that the price is too much for me and it has a lot of features that wont be using. I am more looking for a reasonably priced ignition control box with retard; I understand having a budget wont allow me to get the best but I only need to be able to pull timing while on nitrous. I already have the window switch, and I have seen that the MSD Digital 6 p/n 6245K seems to offer what I believe I need.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

If you have HP tuner, I have a very inexpensive option for you. I am just finishing up a stand alone system myself.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If a Mallory box is too expensive I am sure HPtuner and the hardware/wiring needed to run it on an LT1 are further outside his budget.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

i installed the box on my car. i have some threads asking about the wiring. its worth the money. buy the msd plug and play harness. its alot easier. i have a spare one if you want it. i have my box between the back seat on the drive shaft tunnel and ran the plug in the center console. i just lift the lid and plug it in. dont need to open the hood. another plus is if you dont plug in the bypass plug. the car wont start because there is no spark. so if someone tries to steal the car, it wont start.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

Got mine off ebay for $180 used. I have installed it but dont have the car togather yet. Best bang for the buck considering all the features.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

By box, which part do you mean; the Mallory 685 or the MSD Digital 6? Mallory for this year is too far out of my budget, I just need a simple ignition box that will allow me to pull timing for nitrous passes without sacrificing the N/A capabilities of the car.

Quick Reply: Ignition Retard Box