LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Upper Pan Hard Brace & Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upper Pan Hard Brace & Fuel Tank

Hey Guys,

Replaced my OEM fuel pump with the Racetronix 255 LPH fuel pump. I didn't didn't do the harness at this time as the pump is good for about 550 RWHP. However I'm dropped on bilstein's and strano's and my upper panhard brace a portion of it rests on against the fuel tank.

Now I help a high performance shop here in town put the tank in the shop owner and myself got that tank in there snug as the straps only really fit one way. However we originally had the pump in there very flush and snug and we had to get the vent lines up and around the tank. So flush in fact we had to drop the tank down and feed the lines through then bolt the tank up.

So we took the straps off, dropped the tank down and re-fitted the lines up and around and then put the straps up against the tank. The straps are perfectly line tank with the divisions on the tank.

Once we fitted the tank and got mostly everything put back together, I realized that the upper panhard brace about oh I'd say 5-6 inches from the 3 bolts on the driver side, that bar is resting against the fuel tank.

I drove the car, did two WOT passes to check the pump out and did a little burnout for a bit of fun. No noise from the rear of the tank or rear end which is a good thing lol

Before I dropped the car down on the strano's in the rear there was a nice clearance gap between the bar and tank, now with the lowering springs this upper brace rests against the tank.

I'll try and snap a few pictures this afternoon and post them here. In the mean time does anyone else have this issue? All the bolts are in the correct positions, torques etc.

Thanks for the help,
Devin
Old 04-27-2015, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Being lowered doesn't affect clearance between the upper brace and fuel tank at all. They're both attached to the body. I'd say you didn't completely bolt the tank into place. The strap bolts are pretty long, make sure the tank is pressed fully against the floor before running the bolts in.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll have to look at the bolt hard to see without a lift, trying to think of everything i would have to undo in order to redo sit the tank. I know we had to take the whole rear out hoping I don't have to do anything besides dropping the tank down a little bit and rebolting. Would have to take off the upper brace.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Being lowered doesn't affect clearance between the upper brace and fuel tank at all. They're both attached to the body. I'd say you didn't completely bolt the tank into place. The strap bolts are pretty long, make sure the tank is pressed fully against the floor before running the bolts in.

This.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is some
Pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Upper Pan Hard Brace & Fuel Tank-image.jpg  
Old 04-27-2015, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is another
Attached Thumbnails Upper Pan Hard Brace & Fuel Tank-image.jpg  
Old 04-27-2015, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's been a while since I've dropped the tank, but the only thing that might get in your way of doing that is the exhaust heat shields. Drooping the rear down will help you get in there, but probably isn't really necessary. Just make sure the tank is empty, otherwise the added weight makes it difficult to get the tank aligned just right.

Also, is that part new, or just very well preserved?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spartan7
It's been a while since I've dropped the tank, but the only thing that might get in your way of doing that is the exhaust heat shields. Drooping the rear down will help you get in there, but probably isn't really necessary. Just make sure the tank is empty, otherwise the added weight makes it difficult to get the tank aligned just right.

Also, is that part new, or just very well preserved?

OEM upper pan hard bar that was sand blasted and then power coated gloss black (cost like $40).
Old 04-27-2015, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Called the owner, told me to adjust the PHB or try the stock hardware for the upper panhard brace as the bolts should be tough to install and my mounting hardware slips right in. Overall he said to look at a stock car and a car with similar springs and shocks and see the clearance, so can anyone provide pictures. Otherwise it looks like it stays the way it is I suppose.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said before, the suspension does not affect it in ANY way. The upper brace is fixed in both ends to the body, it does not articulate. I've dropped 3 F-body tanks and if you don't get it positioned just right before tightening the straps completely, it can look and feel like it's snug, but it's not in its proper position.

This is an old pic I have, and it's not a great angle, but maybe it will help.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the pic hmmm, I double check the straps and the mounting bolts for the tank and everything is sealed properly against it.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is a link to...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...-write-up.html
Old 04-28-2015, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

96 camaro ss stock suspension from<br/>A buddy I know.

Stock 96 camaro ss suspension seems the bar hits.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll try adjusting it a bit if it won't budge or sit more flush even though its is on the lift but we couldn't resist it better. Maybe I'll fav up a UPHB spacer to fit between the bar and the body.

Quick Reply: Upper Pan Hard Brace & Fuel Tank