LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help on 97 LT1 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on 97 LT1 build

I'm gonna be doing some mods and deletes on this car. Just in need of some advice etc.
here is the build I'm doing so far:
CC503 Cam
GMPP Guide Plates
ARP Rocker Studs
CC Beehive Springs
Spring Locator
CC Steel retainers and locks
LT4 Time chain/gears
CC High Energy Lifters
Pacesetter long tube headers
Excell cap/wires
possibly machining the heads

The questions I have on this is I have a 97 WS6 with the single cat system. Can I or not delete the cat on it, next is what should I do with the 2 O2 sensors. Also planning on deleting all the EGR system and putting on the blank plates etc. any recommendations etc on the things I have listed as far as the build and things I want to delete?

Old 05-25-2015, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That should be a dual cat system (1996 went to OBD2 which required 2 cats on V8's). Depending on your state and their emissions inspection requirements you might be able to get away with removing them. As far as the rear O2's, I'm not sure how to tune those out.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:56 PM
Teching In

In that one pic shows you how it's ran, I looked at the rest of my exhaust and ya I only have that 1 cat. I live in GA and where I'm at I have no emissions

Originally Posted by hrcslam
That should be a dual cat system (1996 went to OBD2 which required 2 cats on V8's). Depending on your state and their emissions inspection requirements you might be able to get away with removing them. As far as the rear O2's, I'm not sure how to tune those out.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at the drivers side exhaust manifold. There's one bolted directly to it. Well, there should have been. See the set up on the right of this picture for reference.

You can remove them (which is usually the case with LT headers), don't forget the Y-Pipe (get the off road version for cat-less set up). As far as dealing with the post-cat O2 sensors, hopefully someone else can chime in with how to deal with those. I'm not sure if you can tune them out or if you'll need O2 simulators.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Oh the big round tank deal?? Ya I have that. Ok ya I was looking at the Y pipes so I will get the off-road one than. I'm assuming I will have to run simulators I guess for the O2s.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:26 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

You can run sims, but you'll need a tune and you can have the rear O2's turned off.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CC503 Cam Good cam, I run 12.6s with it in a 6-speed car on stock heads
GMPP Guide Plates Will work just fine.
ARP Rocker Studs Be sure to go 7/16"
CC Beehive Springs I run the Comp 918s, I assume that's what you're getting
Spring Locator May need shims to get the 1.800" install height on stock heads, I did.
CC Steel retainers and locks I went with 0.05 offset 10 degree locks from CC
LT4 Time chain/gears Don't waste your money, the stock set is fine. Get a new Cloyes crank gear if you have chain slop.
CC High Energy Lifters i've never used them, i'm sure they're fine.
Pacesetter long tube headers Good headers
Excell cap/wires DO NOT run anything ACCEL on your car, use a GM cap and rotor or you'll be sorry.
possibly machining the heads I assume you mean machining for flatness and not porting? If porting I would choose a different cam.

My opinion on your list. ^^

Also, what rockers are you running? I prefer the CC pro mag ultra. And you removing the emissions eqiupment is something you need to find out. Depends on if your state/county does emissions testing.

Last edited by 93M6Formula; 05-26-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:05 PM
Teching In

sweet I was hoping I could. Ya I planned on doing a tune anyways with what I was doing and all the crap I'm deleting. Pretty much all emission crap is coming off

Quick Reply: Help on 97 LT1 build