LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

which transmissions fit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default which transmissions fit?

hey guys so my 4l60e tranny is goin out, i have to baby it hardcore in first and second gear, shifts harsh into 2nd and if im on the gas too much in 1st it wont go into 2nd just shudder and intenstly vibrate the entire car. and if i try to nail it in second gear tranny just lets go and shudders pretttty bad, but 3rd and 4th r fine. and when i bought the car the one thing i wished was different was the tranny, i want a manual. so my question is which manual tranny will bolt up to my car i have a 1995 camaro z28 lt1. and also how difficult is the job? i know the t56 bolts up to it (thats what iv understood from various forums) but which years are the same? since i am on a budget like most i cant just buy a new tranny, i will be buying used or buying a junked doner car, also is their any other trans that will bolt up to it other than t56. and my final question is in looking for a doner car, mostly for the trans, how many miles should i be lookin for, iv heard manual trannys dont break in till 50k. that seems far fetched, especially since id imagine if u beat the hell out of it since day one it wouldnt last 50k. but anyways ill stop ranting, any help and or tips would be appreciated!
Old 06-01-2015, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The easiest would be a T56, from an LT1 camaro any year will work. the cheapest way out would be to have a reputable shop rebuild your 4l60e. 95 is a stand alone year for the 4l60e, they wont interchange with any other year.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The 94-97 T56s would be the ones to get. The 93s are a little weaker.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

i was thinking about rebuilding but i ride in my friends car and its standard and just looks so fun and i think i would enjoy the car to its full potential with a standard tranny, and okay so 94-97 t56, how many miles? and will a trans am t56 fit my car? or any of the other cars that have similar engines and trannys and such? (having a blank on the cars that are similar) and how difficult will the install be? i have access to plenty of normal tools along with some air tools and a lift, also my mechanical experience isnt super advanced, i put lt headers on and a full exhaust with minimal issues, i am pretty good at tightening and loosening bolts lol. electrical i dont have much experience with. also no idea how to install the clutch pedal and adjust that but i havent googled that lol and im problyyy getting way ahead of myself

Last edited by Bengtson95; 06-01-2015 at 07:51 PM. Reason: added information
Old 06-02-2015, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bengtson95
i was thinking about rebuilding but i ride in my friends car and its standard and just looks so fun and i think i would enjoy the car to its full potential with a standard tranny, and okay so 94-97 t56, how many miles? and will a trans am t56 fit my car? or any of the other cars that have similar engines and trannys and such? (having a blank on the cars that are similar) and how difficult will the install be? i have access to plenty of normal tools along with some air tools and a lift, also my mechanical experience isnt super advanced, i put lt headers on and a full exhaust with minimal issues, i am pretty good at tightening and loosening bolts lol. electrical i dont have much experience with. also no idea how to install the clutch pedal and adjust that but i havent googled that lol and im problyyy getting way ahead of myself
Like said, ANY T-56 from any LT1 powered F-body from 93-97 will work. The 93 had different gear ratios and had a lower torque rating. 94-97 are all the same trans and all parts for it can come from a camaro, T/A, or Formula. Other cars used the T-56 like the Viper, 03/04 Cobra, LS1 F-body, C5 corvette and others but are all completely different and will not work without extensive work. The LS1 F-body version can be used but you would need to change the hydraulics, front plate, bellhousing, and input shaft which is not really worth doing.

Also, have you ever driven or ridden in a stalled auto car? They are a lot more fun than you think while being usually faster and more consistant if that's what you're after. Just something I would consider before jumping ship. Another thing, a 6-speed car is going to be more harsh on that already weak 10 bolt than the auto will be, so be prepared when you break it.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys so my 4l60e tranny is goin out, i have to baby it hardcore in first and second gear, shifts harsh into 2nd and if im on the gas too much in 1st it wont go into 2nd just shudder and intenstly vibrate the entire car. and if i try to nail it in second gear tranny just lets go and shudders pretttty bad, but 3rd and 4th r fine. and when i bought the car the one thing i wished was different was the tranny, i want a manual. so my question is which manual tranny will bolt up to my car i have a 1995 camaro z28 lt1. and also how difficult is the job? i know the t56 bolts up to it (thats what iv understood from various forums) but which years are the same? since i am on a budget like most i cant just buy a new tranny, i will be buying used or buying a junked doner car, also is their any other trans that will bolt up to it other than t56. and my final question is in looking for a doner car, mostly for the trans, how many miles should i be lookin for, iv heard manual trannys dont break in till 50k. that seems far fetched, especially since id imagine if u beat the hell out of it since day one it wouldnt last 50k. but anyways ill stop ranting, any help and or tips would be appreciated!

A T56 will take a beating regularly and last over 100K easily; they are rated to 450 lb ft tq stock.....as for the clutch, maybe not. I've never heard of any manual trans break in period.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have heard in other forums people using the term 10 bolt and 6 bolt or whatever, never could understand what they were refering to so could you please explain?...and i know you can build up some awesome autos that are fun to drive but i am dead set on changing over pretty much but thank you. and okay i am going to wrench a part this weekend maybe i can find 94-97 lt1 f-body around 100k or less. i appreciate all the feedback guys its very helpful.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have heard in other forums people using the term 10 bolt and 6 bolt or whatever, never could understand what they were refering to so could you please explain?...and i know you can build up some awesome autos that are fun to drive but i am dead set on changing over pretty much but thank you. and okay i am going to wrench a part this weekend maybe i can find 94-97 lt1 f-body around 100k or less. i appreciate all the feedback guys its very helpful.
The 10 bolt is name of the junk rear axle under these cars. Designated by the number of bolts on the diff cover. They are a small 7.5/7.625" ring gear and don't hold up well to abuse, especially a 6-speed car. Aftermarket companies make drop in 12 bolt, Dana 60, or Ford 9" that are far better than the stock axle. If you plan on putting any sort of power to ground, start saving for one.

Also, I advise you to do as much reading as you can handle to get familiar with your car, and f-bodies in general.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ahhh okay so rear diff is the whole bolt thing, now a did a little googleing, and couldnt find much but the problem i described in my first post, could that b the rear diff? pretty much all issues are when im trying to accelerate too fast, maybe under the higher torque of 1st and 2nd my rear diff cant handle it?
Old 06-02-2015, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahhh okay so rear diff is the whole bolt thing, now a did a little googleing, and couldnt find much but the problem i described in my first post, could that b the rear diff? pretty much all issues are when im trying to accelerate too fast, maybe under the higher torque of 1st and 2nd my rear diff cant handle it?
The auto softens the blow to the axle via the tq converter.

For an M6 swap you'll need to add some wires for it and retune the ecm.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hrcslam
The auto softens the blow to the axle via the tq converter.

For an M6 swap you'll need to add some wires for it and retune the ecm.
Okay simple enough, i heard some people switched some wires around or something, not entirely sure though
Old 06-07-2015, 01:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you get all into the T56 swap & have to do lots of stuff... Get a 4L80E stalled to say 3200 to 3600 for Nitrous & Youll be Way Faster Jakes is the best place to get em but theres others... Thats whats goin behind My 396 LTx nitrous build when I get this S10 solid axle 355 lon g rod LT1 done Its got a 4L60E with pretty much every upgrade but billet shafts & 5 pinion planets... IF You get all the parts & upgrades along with ATSG manual & Youtube vids you can build one too!!! I did it & to buy the same trans would be 2500+ I forget what the price list was but just look at anyones Stage 3 build & get Alto Red Eagle clutches with kolene steels or Borg Warner High Energy Clutches & steels to go with em... 700r44l60e.com is a good place for kits & knowledge... You can also get the Transgo HD3 kit for Full Manual on the 80e or 60e but it gets old on the street... My 60e has the HD2 plus lots of other Sonnax Upgrades!!! Supposed to hold 600hp easy so a stock LT1 with 6" Manley Hbeams & Mahle forged flat tops shouldnt hurt it too bad lol IF it does itll get an 80E stock stalled its a DD for good MPGs... Hope this helps a lil

Quick Reply: which transmissions fit?