LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Early ls1 help??!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early ls1 help??!!!!

Good morning, i have a 94 camaro ls1 issue. I'm a seasoned gm tech., and had a guy approach me with a box of go fast parts and asked if i'd install them. Being a motor head i said yes and dug in. He brought me a new performance cam, lifters, timing chain and gears, intake, throttle body, injectors, cap & rotor, plugs and wires. Since the installation the engine pings on moderate throttle pretty bad. Knock sensor counts climb, timing changes 20 degrees, still pings terrible. The cam he provided was for an 05' which has a differant distr. Drive dowel as opposed to the 94 distr. Being driven by the center of the cam sprocket (all the parts he supplied were for an 05', the timing chain and gear set was wrong, i found out after in installed them, i put a new set in for a 94'). I suspect the cam for the 05' cannot and will not work properly in this 94' engine due to a differance in timing....can anyone verify this??
Old 08-12-2015, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Sounds like you're talking about an LT1, and probably mean '94 and '95 (vs. '94 and '05 posted above.) There is no distributor at all on an LS1 engine, nor do any parts interchange between a '94 LT1 and an '05 "LS" style engine.

So, I'm moving this to the LT1 section....
Old 08-12-2015, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Early LS1....lol...good one! You need more details of the actual year of the engine and what cam he bought...part numbers or pics would be helpful.

Last edited by ahritchie; 08-12-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

LS swap?
Old 08-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 NIGHTMARE
I suspect the cam for the 05' cannot and will not work properly in this 94' engine due to a differance in timing....can anyone verify this??
It will not work unless changing over to a vented optispark.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...vy_LT1_engines
Old 08-12-2015, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 NIGHTMARE
Good morning, i have a 94 camaro ls1 issue. I'm a seasoned gm tech., and had a guy approach me with a box of go fast parts and asked if i'd install them. Being a motor head i said yes and dug in. He brought me a new performance cam, lifters, timing chain and gears, intake, throttle body, injectors, cap & rotor, plugs and wires. Since the installation the engine pings on moderate throttle pretty bad. Knock sensor counts climb, timing changes 20 degrees, still pings terrible. The cam he provided was for an 05' which has a differant distr. Drive dowel as opposed to the 94 distr. Being driven by the center of the cam sprocket (all the parts he supplied were for an 05', the timing chain and gear set was wrong, i found out after in installed them, i put a new set in for a 94'). I suspect the cam for the 05' cannot and will not work properly in this 94' engine due to a differance in timing....can anyone verify this??
Troof.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Things can only get better from here!
Old 08-16-2015, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM tech. HA HA!
Old 08-16-2015, 12:20 PM
Village Troll

Because a "seasoned" claim has been made the OP is supposed to know the nuances of an old and irrelevant platform? I guarantee you, wherever you are to take a LT1 you'll have mechanics either try and buy their way out of working on it, do whatever it is wrong, or have their nose in books and the internet for reference no matter their experience.

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Things can only get better from here!
... or they just have someone else work on it when they are not capable...
Old 08-16-2015, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

the parts were for an 05 what? Camaro?

How about you give us the cam specs? Brand? Part number?

Was the car tuned at all? Depending on the cam you could maybe expect your issues if you throw a larger cam in with no tune and fire it up?
Old 08-16-2015, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I never pid that much attention to the "unvented" opti setups since they didn't apply to the b-body.

That said I would think so long as the opti drive stud can't slip too far back into the cam the cam would be OK?????

To me the talking about a cam and injectors without a tune means this thing could be eating itself alive. The pcm can't accommodate for much injector size change on it's own, then combine an assumed over fueling of at least 25% with the different fuel and spark needs of an aftermarket cam and the result is exactly as should be expected.

Far as the "seasoned tech" part, at a dealer you have parts swappers and maybe 1:100 actually understands things at the level of an enthusiast. I have known some VERY good dealer techs who understand surprisingly little about how it all actually works.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Because a "seasoned" claim has been made the OP is supposed to know the nuances of an old and irrelevant platform? I guarantee you, wherever you are to take a LT1 you'll have mechanics either try and buy their way out of working on it, do whatever it is wrong, or have their nose in books and the internet for reference no matter their experience.

... or they just have someone else work on it when they are not capable...
No, they should know it's not an LS1.....

And, they should give enough relevant information for us to actually help.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:06 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by hrcslam
No, they should know it's not an LS1.....

And, they should give enough relevant information for us to actually help.
They should? Why? Does it make you mad that LT1 wasn't typed? Get over yourself already. There were pertinent questions asked between the different cams to know some homework as been done. Who are you to judge anyway?
Old 08-16-2015, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

They should? Why? Does it make you mad that LT1 wasn't typed? Get over yourself already. There were pertinent questions asked between the different cams to know some homework as been done. Who are you to judge anyway?
Has nothing to do with the LT1 not being named. It has to do with "seasoned GM tech" not knowing the difference between an LT1 and LS1. That alone makes this hard to take seriously.

The rest of the post gives little detail to actually provide any helpful information. It's very garbled and makes us make many assumptions as to what he was trying to say.

None of this has anything to do with me getting over my self. Maybe that's a problem you have, as I certainly don't.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:08 PM
Village Troll

Funny how you get hung up on a term. Who cares if the dude is seasoned or not. I had no issue with anything asked. If you get over yourself perhaps you can see dude is just asking simple questions and has never messed around with LT1's or LS1's. Let's crucify him because he doesn't know the engine, maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!
Why don't you spend some time helping this guy out instead of bitching? I mean I don't see a real big difference between his questions and your lack of ability of keeping a splined sleeve from stripping, so there's always that.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Funny how you get hung up on a term. Who cares if the dude is seasoned or not. I had no issue with anything asked. If you get over yourself perhaps you can see dude is just asking simple questions and has never messed around with LT1's or LS1's. Let's crucify him because he doesn't know the engine, maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!
Why don't you spend some time helping this guy out instead of bitching? I mean I don't see a real big difference between his questions and your lack of ability of keeping a splined sleeve from stripping, so there's always that.
First off, I never said anything to or about the OP. Just answering the question that was asked. As in, I understand why their responses are what they are. Not that I agree or disagree.

Secondly, I never personally attacked you yet here you are yet again attacking me (I didn't attack anyone here in this thread, actually).

Third, I'd love to help. But advice given based on assumptions (that I made too) from the OP's post is already what I would have said (from you and 96capricemgr). No need to repeat. It's a wait for the OP to respond time, and hope the assumptions were correct and go from there.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:59 AM
Village Troll

Perhaps one day you'll come to the realization that these engines are old and hardly no one who is a mechanic for a living works on them anymore. There is a GM certified shop near my house I take my cars to who treat me right and they know jack about either platform. The f-body brodum is a heartbeat away from flatline, dear boy.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Perhaps one day you'll come to the realization that these engines are old and hardly no one who is a mechanic for a living works on them anymore. There is a GM certified shop near my house I take my cars to who treat me right and they know jack about either platform. The f-body brodum is a heartbeat away from flatline, dear boy.
That I do know.

But most, if not all, GM techs (especially the seasoned ones) I know can glance at an LT1 and knows it's not an LS1. That is very very very easy to do.

Not understanding the quirks of an LTx is one thing. Not knowing an LTx from an LSx is another.

It's like not knowing an Iron Duke from an Ecotec, there's a pretty big difference between the two just by looking at them. It's not even close. That's a rookie mistake from a "seasoned GM tech".
Old 08-17-2015, 11:17 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by hrcslam
It's like not knowing an Iron Duke from an Ecotec, there's a pretty big difference between the two just by looking at them. It's not even close. That's a rookie mistake from a "seasoned GM tech".
I keep forgetting the one who argues himself in circles is the one who should deem who is and is not worthy of being a seasoned GM tech. My apologies.
Times are changing. If or when you get past your f-body bro phase you may eventually understand.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

. If or when you get past your f-body bro phase you may eventually understand.
My bad, I didn't realized the ecotec came in an f-body.......

Quick Reply: Early ls1 help??!!!!