LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Torsen Differential whines on deceleration....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Torsen Differential whines on deceleration....

My first question would be is the Torsen Differential in a 1996 SS the same as that on a 1999+ FBody? If so what did the standard 1996 Z28's come with (open differential?)

I understand the fundamental basics of how the torsen system works but anyways to my problem. When driving there is minimal noise while I am on the gas but when I am not actively throttling the rearend makes a pretty load "whining" noise.

I was wondering if anyone has any understanding of if this is a problem and what it might be.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Torsens didn't start until 1999 as production line item. All Z28s' 1998 and earlier came with an Auburn posi. Only most V6s' came with an open differential. A 1996 SS could have been optioned at SLP with a Torsen. You'd have to check the original order sheet or remove the rear cover to see if it has a Torsen or Auburn.
Coast or de-cel whine generally gear(ring & pinion) noise.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all v8s came with posi rear ends. Zexel torsen started in 99

EDIT: damn beat me to it lol. v6s had a posi if they got the Y87 package.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a ring/pinion issue to me as the others mention...are the gears stock or has the rear end been rebuilt at some point? Might as well put some new 3.73s or 4.10s that may help...or not...but, at least it will accelerate quicker regardless!
Old 09-16-2015, 12:22 PM
Launching!

The rear end is stock and my car was optioned with the Torsen Differential/AAM Cover as that is how I originally knew it was a torsen setup to begin with. Thank you for the quick advice.

As I have no experience with Torsen rearends would a standard 3.73 ring and pinion set work for these rearends??
Old 09-16-2015, 12:23 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Zexel's were an option on the 96 and 97 SS. The noise on acceleration/deceleration is usually caused from a backlash issue.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Zexel's were an option on the 96 and 97 SS. The noise on acceleration/deceleration is usually caused from a backlash issue.
My first question would be is this noise a concern regarding the equipment integrity as if the noise is ok and is not representative of any potential failure then I have no problem with the noise, I was just concerned that if I continue to drive on it I would break something.

Second question would be how to I diagnose and correct the backlash issue.

Third question would be if the Zexel Carrier is the same between the 96/97 and the 99 up units that it would be as simple as swapping it out?

Edit: Not to burden you with questions but I see you as well have a 96SS was the entire reared assembly different between the SS and Z28 or is the Housing/Axles the same and just the differential and AAM Cover the only change from the SS Package?

Last edited by Bandits96ss; 09-16-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:15 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
My first question would be is this noise a concern regarding the equipment integrity as if the noise is ok and is not representative of any potential failure then I have no problem with the noise, I was just concerned that if I continue to drive on it I would break something.
Depends. It's basically caused by the gears not being aligned properly. It may stay the same, or the alignment can become worse and instead of a whine it may become a howl which can then lead to a grinding noise.
Second question would be how to I diagnose and correct the backlash issue.
Pop the cover off the diff and measure backlash.
Third question would be if the Zexel Carrier is the same between the 96/97 and the 99 up units that it would be as simple as swapping it out?
It doesn't matter if they are or not, whenever you replace a carrier you want to make sure to measure to ensure proper gear alignment. This issue has nothing to do with your carrier. The only time it would be a carrier problem is if you started hearing noise when turning corners.

Edit: Not to burden you with questions but I see you as well have a 96SS was the entire reared assembly different between the SS and Z28 or is the Housing/Axles the same and just the differential and AAM Cover the only change from the SS Package?
Housing is the same. Only difference was the carrier.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Depends. It's basically caused by the gears not being aligned properly. It may stay the same, or the alignment can become worse and instead of a whine it may become a howl which can then lead to a grinding noise.

Pop the cover off the diff and measure backlash.

It doesn't matter if they are or not, whenever you replace a carrier you want to make sure to measure to ensure proper gear alignment. This issue has nothing to do with your carrier. The only time it would be a carrier problem is if you started hearing noise when turning corners.
If I am understanding your first paragraph right it is not a concern related to the integrity of the components but instead just a matter of a nuisance noise? Or should I be worried my gears are going to strip overtime?

When I stated about a new carrier I was under the impression that the problem was potentially the carrier. So what you are saying is my carrier is perfectly fine it is my gear set that is creating an issue. And from the sounds of it my gears are most likely fine as well I just need to realign them?
Old 09-16-2015, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

"When driving there is minimal noise while I am on the gas but when I am not actively throttling the rearend makes a pretty load "whining" noise."
Since that condition is probably under straight line driving,the internals of the Torsen are not in operation. the only other source for noise/whining would be the gearset. Bearings of pinion and carrier would be more of a 'roar'. Checking/setting gear lash could/might reduce the 'whining' but it also could have become more of a permanent condition. If,after removing the cover for a visual inspection,the gears do not appear to be damaged or in a condition of unusual wear,they'll probably lqast for quite a while.
post some pics of the gear wear pattern. post a pic of the magnet on cover inside with the accumulated particles.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
If I am understanding your first paragraph right it is not a concern related to the integrity of the components but instead just a matter of a nuisance noise? Or should I be worried my gears are going to strip overtime?

When I stated about a new carrier I was under the impression that the problem was potentially the carrier. So what you are saying is my carrier is perfectly fine it is my gear set that is creating an issue. And from the sounds of it my gears are most likely fine as well I just need to realign them?
I would continue driving it unless the whine is too much. It'll last depending on how much abuse it receives. Shock to the driveline/popping the clutch is a killer to the drivetrain.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine makes the same roaring noises on decell too. It has made noise for a while but has definitely gotten worse after the heads and cam. Have to turn the radio up pretty loud or open the exhaust to drown it out. I am guessing my pinion bearing is toast and probably leading to eventual failure of the rear end.

I would plan on a budget rebuild of the 10-bolt if you are staying stock or a bolt in 9" or S60 if you are going to increase your power.

Quick Reply: Torsen Differential whines on deceleration....