LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Strong Fuel Odor / Smell - Possible causes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strong Fuel Odor / Smell - Possible causes?

Hey guys, I have a 95 Z28 that even when its not running, just has a raw fuel smell to it. I've changed the gas cap twice, and checked the lines and connections for any leaks. Can't find any. I haven't replaced the fuel neck and hoses yet, but that's the next thing up...

So I'm wondering, what's the life of the charcoal canister / fuel tank ventilation system on our cars?

Anyone else have this problem?

This car has 150k on the body, but I just dropped a new motor in it, A/C blows ice cold, and basically this is the last thing I'd like to fix on the car.

Video for attention. LOL.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-09-2015, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

You're correct to suspect EVAP. The canister is a possibility but equally possible is the purge valve itself. Once you get access to the canister, its the plastic thing about a foot and half up the line towards the fuel tank.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
You're correct to suspect EVAP. The canister is a possibility but equally possible is the purge valve itself. Once you get access to the canister, its the plastic thing about a foot and half up the line towards the fuel tank.
Can you actually still purchase the purge valves these days?

How bout the actual canister? Or do those never really go out?
Old 11-10-2015, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm actually replacing my valve tonight, got it from the auto parts store. I've tried taking the canister out 2 times before but I always get worried I'm going to break the plastic harness holding it in place. Tonight I'm just gonna go for it. I've heard of the charcoal in the canisters breaking apart and the little fragments get stuck in the lines. Not sure if new canisters can be purchased, haven't researched that one.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just replaced everything in my EVAP system due to codes. All parts are still available. Mine had venting issues so I pulled everything apart and there were chunks of charcoal everywhere. Unfortunately, while the codes are gone, I still have a strong fuel smell. I suspect the rubber lines probably have cracks causing the smell. I would replace those lines as well as I will be doing so to mine very soon.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MTN_Z
Just replaced everything in my EVAP system due to codes. All parts are still available. Mine had venting issues so I pulled everything apart and there were chunks of charcoal everywhere. Unfortunately, while the codes are gone, I still have a strong fuel smell. I suspect the rubber lines probably have cracks causing the smell. I would replace those lines as well as I will be doing so to mine very soon.
Thanks man, glad to hear parts are still available.

I would think the rubber lines wouldn't be too hard to replace while doing the valve and canister.

You might want to look into the fuel neck possibly having some cracks in it, since I have replaced a few over the years. If any part of the neck has a rubber hose (which most of them do) they get brittle and cracked.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SPDEMON
Thanks man, glad to hear parts are still available.

I would think the rubber lines wouldn't be too hard to replace while doing the valve and canister.

You might want to look into the fuel neck possibly having some cracks in it, since I have replaced a few over the years. If any part of the neck has a rubber hose (which most of them do) they get brittle and cracked.
I'll definitely take a look at that. The smell is pretty strong so I need to take care of it.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Teching In

I had a problem with mine where I suddenly started smelling exhaust while I was driving, specifically at idle. It was realllllyyyyy bad inside the car. Turns out I had broken bolts on my (stock) manifolds, and there was a gap where it was pulling away from the head. Your issue could be something different, but it's worth looking into.

Last edited by BLDRD93Z; 11-23-2015 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Strong Fuel Odor / Smell - Possible causes?