LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spark Plug Wire Preference?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark Plug Wire Preference?

Anybody in here specifically run a set of wires no matter what? Just grab whats on the shelf? And how do you route them around your headers? Im having a tough time burning a bunch of wires. It was suggested that I order the Taylor wire protectors.

I decided to go to the store and buy the Loctite high temperature self adhesive wrap. Its good to 500 degrees Fahrenheit but Im not sure how hot the headers get at their hottest.

Just curious what everyone else is running.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:22 PM
Teching In

im running the Loctite high temperature my self have worked great have no problem with them drove the car for around 5 hours straight from los Angeles to san Diego and back wires not one burn on any
Old 06-16-2016, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're running the wires in the stock routing stay away from larger diameter wires, they are a pita to run properly.

As far as brands my only true negative experience across many brands has been taylors. They arched right out of the box and made me chase a high rpm miss. I had replaced old arching wires with the taylors and chased other issues thinking I had crossed plug wires off my list. Once bitten, twice shy and I'll never buy them again.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm an MSD fan. I have them run in the stock routing, ditched the stock looms and used zip ties, no high temp socks either.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick with stock wire size if your running in the factory looms. I had my belt saw through two wires using 8.5mm MSD wires once because those PITFA stock looms. Ditched it for zip ties but then they broke so I said **** it, bought MSD 8.5mm over the valve cover set, some high temp shields and drove the car 8-9k miles with no issues...
Old 06-17-2016, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I like the Magnacore wires

FWIW I have the 8.5 run though ALL stock looms & brackets. I have headers and don't use the factory heat shield boots for the plug end that came stock

while the wires are "snug" in the factory looms, they fit and were no big deal to install
Old 06-18-2016, 12:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My preference, for fit and performance, when using the OE looms, is the Moroso Blue Max, pre-cut set.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the input guys. After looking at my datalogs from yesterday I think once I get to where Im no longer burning wires a lot of my issues will be solved.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

If you are burning the wires themselves, you need to get some heat protective sleeves. Any wire no matter what brand it is will fry unless you get some protective sleeves for them. You can also use some header wrap to help prevent this (I would do both).

On my turbo manifold I have one plug that is forced to touch the turbo header at the spark plug wire boot. Even with wrapping the manifold and the sleeve I would still burn through the boot (turbo headers get much hotter than NA or even blower headers). I ended up having to go with a ceramic boot for that one plug and it seems to have fixed my issues.

After you get that addressed I think any aftermarket wire will be fine. I personally like Taylor wires. Magnacore wires are some of the best. I have also used MSD wires. All really are about the same. Taylor I find "clicks" better and is easier to tell when they are properly seated, and are better priced than the other two.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

These are the type of sleeves I was referring to;

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/the...FZSMaQodz_wP9A
Old 06-29-2016, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Magnecore gets my vote.
I ran a set for 12 years, racing use, some of the boots having less than 1/4" inch clearance to a header tube. At that point, a few of the boots were heat-checked at the corner and causing a slight miss under high power. I replaced them with an identical new set, and no more miss.
and trust me....my headers get very hot
Old 07-01-2016, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ran the MSD's for years, they were nice wires but running them in the factory looms put a hurting on them. Small tears in the jacket where the looms pinched them in. Went back to an OEM style wire from Delphi along with the factory boot shields. I have SLP dual cat shorty's though...long tubes may be a different story.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Wire Preference?