LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Assembling Parts List--Upgrades During Head Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Assembling Parts List--Upgrades During Head Gasket Replacement

Hello again everyone! I am going to perform my head gasket test either today or tomorrow (most likely the exhaust-in-coolant test). My oil looked completely normal but I am assuming that my head gaskets do need to be replaced at this point.

I am assembling the list of parts that I am going to have the shop install while they have the heads out of the car and I've included the list I've put together so far. The cam is staying stock and I will have the heads checked for straightness. Please let me know what you think:

Gaskets: Let the shop procure them
Valve springs: Comp 10308-1
1.6 RR: I'm thinking Comp Cam Magnums but I can't find the right part number. Any help?
Pushrods: Should I also have these done? I can't find if they are located in the heads or not...
Mid-length headers: Mac mid lengths
Catalytic converter: Stock replacement
Cat-back: A friend is giving me an older Hooker Super Comp

Is there anything that I'm missing? Also, my timing chain cover has an oil leak. Will the shop need to remove the Opti and water pump to do the head gaskets? If so, I might also ask them to do the timing cover gasket.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-22-2016, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I would provide the head gasket. You could pick up higher compression, along with a few more HP, with a thinner head gasket. You would have to run 91, or higher, octane though but likely be fine on 87 with the Felpro

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...FYIBaQodZ68Egw

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr-Gasket/720/5716G/10002/-1

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...8-16/overview/

.051 - Stock
.039 - Felpro
.028 - GM "Impala"
.026 - Mr Gasket

your stock pushrods will be fine unless you decide on NSA RR. Then you would need guide plates and "hardened" PR. If doing NSA get 7/16" ARP studs and 7/16" NSA RR and Trick Flo chrome Molly PR 7.200". ISKY adjustable guide plates work best, IMHO, for the LT1 heads vs the one piece type.

I don't have part # for stock size FelPro valve stem seals but you should be able to get them at most auto part stores. I have Lunati ones and that part # is 78562-16. IDK if Lunati makes them or if FelPro does. either will be fine
Old 10-23-2016, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you for the reply. I'll probably go with the Mr. Gasket head gaskets, I didn't realize that it was alright to run 87 in the LT1 stock, so I'm already used to running 91.

Do you have a link for roller rockers? I've searched and searched and can't seem to find the right ones. I was thinking of going SA with Comp Cam Magnums.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:11 AM
Village Troll

Received 520 Likes on 376 Posts

Most likely the leak from the timing cover is from one of the seals. You can tell if you see oil slung in all directions. You will also need intake and header gaskets. Either fel-pro or stock for intake, fel-pro 1406 for header gaskets. ARP 5/16"X1 or 3/8"X1" header bolts are the best out there with the easiest access. Do not use 7/16" bolts. They are too large and interfere with the primaries.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CaptainArbitrage
Do you have a link for roller rockers? I've searched and searched and can't seem to find the right ones. I was thinking of going SA with Comp Cam Magnums.
3rd link in my post above...
Old 10-24-2016, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are pulling the timing cover, I would look at the timing chain as they have been known to the stretched at your mileage. I am not sure you need the Comp Magnums for a 1.6 rr if you are not changing the cam or porting the heads as you top rpm is going to be cam limited so the ultra strong rockers are not needed.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...FYcehgodwO4Nvw
Old 10-24-2016, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 on the chain. Mine had 125k on it and was surprisingly loose. If you change it, use the HD Cloyes chain. A bit more $ than the stock replacement, but worth it. Here's a link.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

******, I'm really sorry that I missed that. I would love to say that's the last time I'll make a mistake like that, but that would be a lie.

Atlanta, thanks for the link for the timing chain. I will ask the shop about that. I want this car to be as reliable as possible over the next few years.

Fladiver, thanks for the tip on the rockers. The ones you linked were 1.5s. In the reading I've done, I haven't seen anyone recommend anything less than 1.6. I'll take a look and see if I can find the Scorpion set in 1.6 for the LT1. I do like to have head room (maybe some day I will want an aftermarket cam), but saving money is good too...
Old 10-25-2016, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

IMHO I would stay with the Comp Pro Mags over the Scorpian

if you want a Aluminum RR The Crane Gold "narrow body" are good. They do not require the minimal baffle trimming of the valve covers like the comp RR. The Scorpions are also "narrow body" so they may likely require no baffle trimming also. The valve cover trimming is very simple to do though
Old 10-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Definably have the shop look at the timing cover. A lot of times people don't properly install the water pump drive seal and it leaks all over the opti and will destroy it. While the cars in a bay and motor half apart, it'll be better to do it now rather than later.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:03 PM
TECH Veteran

OP

The timing cover leak you have is likely a bad water pump drive gear seal (top one). That seal is included in the $12 FelPro Timing Cover gasket/seal kit

Ask your shop how they intend to install it....if they say "like any other seal"...get another shop.

If they say they have "the tool", great. There is a 99.9% chance installing the seal without some form of "tool"...it will leak immediately

when these engines were built by GM the seals were installed in the timing cover just like any oil seal and then the timing cover with seals was put on front of motor...but...a Kent Moore plastic nipple was put over the water pump gear drive so that seal lip was not folded over on install

you can buy the tool for around $20 or do a search on various alternates (sharpie pen cap, socket, etc)
Old 10-26-2016, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks a lot for the replies! The previous owner of this car installed the new water pump and opti himself--its possible that he wasn't familiar enough with the LT1 to know the proper procedure.

I am going to gather some quotes today. It was 38 with some very small/light snow on my way in this morning. If I want to drive this at all this year, I need to get going.

Right now, here's my plan for parts I want installed:

Comp magnum 1.6 rr
Valve springs and seals
Mr. Gasket head gaskets
Felpro intake and header gaskets
ARP 5/16"X1 head bolts
Cloyes Original True Roller Timing Set 9-3651X3
Felpro timing cover gaskets
Mac mid-length headers
Catalytic converter
Hooker Super Competition cat-back
Tune

Anyone want to guess what the labor charge is going to be on this!?!? Haha!

I found out from a buddy that New Era Performance doesn't work on OBD-I cars anymore. If anyone knows of any good shops in Western NY (Rochester/Buffalo), let me know.

Quick Reply: Assembling Parts List--Upgrades During Head Gasket Replacement