LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

rocker arm adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rocker arm adjustment

i have a lt4 conversion in my car its got the 1.6 roller rockers. does anyone know what i should adjust my rockers to cause i think one is to tight causing a pop through the intake so im gona re adjust them
Old 07-29-2005, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No more than a 1/4 turn past zero lash.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

I agree
Old 08-03-2005, 02:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ss imposter perhaps thats your method but as far as i know thats incorrect. Once you hit zero lash, whish basically means having no up/down play on your push rods, you want to make no more than 3, 1/4 turns, or a full 3/4 turn. Its important to get the 3/4 turn but do not exceed it. After this, check your pushrods and make sure there is no up/down play. If there is start over. Also, its important to note that if you can move them a little bit left and right, thats ok. If your doing the lt4 conversion and have the self aligning rockers than you should be ok with what i just explained.

also, If you want to set the lash by bringing each cylinder to TDC, watch the valves and the pointer on the balancer and follow the Firing order:

1-8-4-3
6-5-7-2

Adjust both intake and exhaust of the cylinder that is at TDC. You will have to make 2 revolutions of the crank, stopping at 1/4 (90º) turn intervals for each cylinder.

Last edited by phantomzer0; 08-03-2005 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
ss imposter perhaps thats your method but as far as i know thats incorrect. Once you hit zero lash, whish basically means having no up/down play on your push rods, you want to make no more than 3, 1/4 turns, or a full 3/4 turn. Its important to get the 3/4 turn but do not exceed it. After this, check your pushrods and make sure there is no up/down play. If there is start over. Also, its important to note that if you can move them a little bit left and right, thats ok. If your doing the lt4 conversion and have the self aligning rockers than you should be ok with what i just explained.

also, If you want to set the lash by bringing each cylinder to TDC, watch the valves and the pointer on the balancer and follow the Firing order:

1-8-4-3
6-5-7-2

Adjust both intake and exhaust of the cylinder that is at TDC. You will have to make 2 revolutions of the crank, stopping at 1/4 (90º) turn intervals for each cylinder.
Set them for what works for you...I've found that my method works well with Comp R lifters and NSA rockers. I have tightened them a bit more when I had SA rockers on stock lifters, so your explanation may be a bit better than mine since it suits his application more accurately. I also set the lash when the lifter is riding on the 'base circle' of the cam and not on the ramp itself.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Set them for what works for you...I've found that my method works well with Comp R lifters and NSA rockers. I have tightened them a bit more when I had SA rockers on stock lifters, so your explanation may be a bit better than mine since it suits his application more accurately. I also set the lash when the lifter is riding on the 'base circle' of the cam and not on the ramp itself.
I think I will also do 1/4 preload because I have comp R lifters and NSA rockers.. So it will be the best adjustment right?? Also what was your R lifters' preload???
Old 08-03-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

good guide for rocker arm adjustment = bfranker.badz28.com
Old 08-04-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

I think the concensus on Comp R's is 1/4 turn past zero lash.

Quick Reply: rocker arm adjustment