LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Good or bad race?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good or bad race?

Well, I got into a race with a Ford Lightning tonight. It was pretty interesting. I drive up to the light (I'm in the merge lane) and he is in the middle lane. I notice he has some cool looking side exhaust and some type of gauges inside. Anyway, I didn't really want to race in the merge lane, because it ends and turns a bit. Well, he doesn't floor it off the line and I pass him. We get up to about a 40 or so roll and he gets next to me. He hits it, then I do. At first we were neck and neck then he pulled a little bit and got about a half a car ahead of me. (no more than that, I could not see his rear lights at any point) Once we hit 3rd gear, I pull back a little bit, then it gets even again with him a half a car in front. He shut down at about 85. It looked like I was starting to pull him the faster we went, but it's hard to tell. Anyway, we get the next light and he gave me a thumbs up and told me to roll my window down. I talked to him and he asked me what I had done. I told him bolt ons. He said he has a pulley, chip, tune and exhaust. I don't know how much that helps his car, but I said sounds good man, nice run. The light turns green and we go from about a 20 roll. I hit it and spun a bit, but he started to spin worse. I got ahead a little more than a full car length and it stayed about that way if not me edging a little further. (it was hard to tell, because we didn't race to that high of a speed) I'll tell you this though, his supercharger was so loud. That thing was whinning and it sounded pretty cool.

So, what do you guys think? How fast should that thing be?
Old 12-13-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they can get pretty quick very easily. sounds like a good race.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep a good race if you ask Me, but I wonder if this should be posted in the Street Racing and Kill Stories section? Anyway, stay nice and safe out there, a bit of fun isn't worth hurting anyone or yourself for.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:16 AM
12 Second Club

Docspeed ran one in his Vette last week. Raced from a 60 mph roll. Gave the guy the hit and put more than a buslength on him up to 130.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, I have an LT1 with bolt ons. I was just wondering what kind of times those ligtnings run in the 1/4 with those mods. What does that have to do with a really fast vette that beat a lightning?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
Docspeed ran one in his Vette last week. Raced from a 60 mph roll. Gave the guy the hit and put more than a buslength on him up to 130.
Yeah, that was my first kill as the new owner of the grape. Those lightings are quik lil f'ers for a full size trucks.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What kind of mods do you have done to the vette and was the lightning stock?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 0wner
Ok, I have an LT1 with bolt ons. I was just wondering what kind of times those ligtnings run in the 1/4 with those mods. What does that have to do with a really fast vette that beat a lightning?

Stock the slowest one I have ran 13.9s at Atlanta Dragway. Between 13.6-13.9 @99-101 stock from my experience.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

What kind of mods do you have done to the vette and was the lightning stock?
Head work, small cam, exhaust, and some other little do-dads. But, and I say a big but, the Grape still has the factory 2.59 gears. With a set of gears say 3.73's, it would have been a massacre. I am not sure if the lighting was stock or not since I didn't get a chance to speak to him. From the way a blistered him, I say he close to stock if he wasn't. The grape runs consistant high 12's to low low 13's.

And the race was from 80 not 60 Metalbeast....
Old 12-14-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, from a higher roll you would beat the lightning even worse. Although, you have quite a bit of work done to your car. It wouldn't have really mattered where you raced him from. He may have been able to keep up a bit from the line. (at the track) Those trucks are crazy with torque.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, from a higher roll you would beat the lightning even worse. Although, you have quite a bit of work done to your car. It wouldn't have really mattered where you raced him from. He may have been able to keep up a bit from the line. (at the track) Those trucks are crazy with torque.
I know he could probably keep up off the line due to the Grape's best 60ft of 2.1 or so. Just can't get the tires to hook.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Besides that, pickups have ALOT more air to push out of the way... and that kills topend.
When I run my dad's vette we are pretty even till we gain speed, then the vettes's aerodynamics kick my ***.
A camaro's aero's will kick a fullsize's numbers any day. Probably why you started to reel him in.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevy42083
Besides that, pickups have ALOT more air to push out of the way... and that kills topend.
When I run my dad's vette we are pretty even till we gain speed, then the vettes's aerodynamics kick my ***.
A camaro's aero's will kick a fullsize's numbers any day. Probably why you started to reel him in.
It was over before that when Tommy (Docspeed) ran the Lightning. Lightning got the hit and Tommy immediately reeled him in
Old 12-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Nice Race!!!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

That and more power.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is true. Also, I don't think their Mph is that high in the quarter. The faster they go the more they slow down, because of aerodynamics. From a dig at the track, I would get murdered if he got traction.

Quick Reply: Good or bad race?