LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

In market for car....advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In market for car....advice please.

I just read some of the LT1 vs LS1 Thread and I was smiling the whole time because I knew what it was going to sound like before I read any of it. My question is...am I better off buying a nice example of an LT1 Car for 4-6 Grand, or Buy a higher mileage or fair condition LS1 for 7-8 Grand but have less money to mod right away. I have been fighting with this. As I love both setups. I dont want to have an LT1 and kick myself later, But I dont want to be sitting in a stock LS1 for too long. Or do I?? What do you guys think? Am I really that much better off waiting for an LS1? Thanks for any advice. I just realized I am going to get the absolute same sh!tstorm as the LS1 Vs LT1 thread.... OTHER than the extra power to start with an LS1.....is there really an downfall or heavily limiting factor to having an LT1? Thanx again.

Last edited by LS1Silverado05; 04-24-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

The LT1 will last longer, as it is a much more durable motor. It depends what you want to do with it. If you plan on modifying it, like you want to, then go with the LS1. The LS1 responds better to bolt-ons. But, if you plan on keeping the car for a long time, get the LT1 with the lower mileage. LS1 for racing, and LT1 for durabilty and endurance.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats straneg Ive always been told that If driven likle they are supposed to be the LS1 will last the longest. If I had and Infinite amount of funds i would buy an LT1 just because I love the looks of the 93-97 cars more and I love the sound of the LT1. Also beating a Ls1 is Oh so much sweeter with an LT1.
The only reason Id ever choose LS1 over LT1 is because the LS1s bottom end is built OH SO MUCH STRONGER and it doesnt mind the revs that a H/C Package would demand. Ive always been told that LT1s dont like more that 6200 rpms because past that they chew up the bearings. And If I buy an LT1 for affordability and I want to do just a H/C setup but to dot hat I have to tear into the bottom end it kinda defeats the purpose of being affordable huh?
To the person above me How is the LT1 a more durable motor?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Banned

I was in the same situation when buying a car. In the back of my mind is "had" to be an LS1, because of all the hype of how great the LS1 is. My brother has two LS1 Z28s and ive riden in them hundreds of times. I DO NOT regret buying an LT1 by any means. Granted the LT1 is slower, its nothing full bolt ons cant take care of. And once getting into bigger mods the gap narrows. Although the LT1 is a two bolt main and if planning to go 10s or 9s A new bottom end would be preffered, but if that is the case, money really wouldnt be a problem.... I love my LT1!
Old 04-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

ya i had my heart set on a blk ws6 ls1, then ended up with a white lt1 ...at first i was heart broken, but then came to realize this thing is freakin sweet, my best freind (R_DEL) has a red ls1, we both have about equal bolt ons and he really isnt that much faster, and i paid less than half wut he paid for his and mine is in great condition leather and all ..soo i suggest a lt1 but im biased...oh and i eat stock ls1's all day, includin corvettes with 4 ppl in my car
Old 04-25-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

Mod for Mod....will an LS1 always stay ahead of the game I guess? For instance....if you do full bolt ons on an LT1 and the guy down the street does full bolt ons to his LS1 I guess its game over huh? I guess its all relative, technology changes our engine bays and we have to keep up with it best we can. But from what I can tell its safe to say an LT1 can be very very fast, and certainly can run with LS1's if properly setup? As long as I can take care of the local rice and my buddies 5.0 's and 4.6' s I'll be happy.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You could just buy this from me and put long tubes and a Dyno tune on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...DME:L:RTQ:US:1

Should be nasty after that. It has a very tame MadZ28 tune on it right now for part throttle drivability but it REALLY neutered the car up top!
Old 04-25-2006, 10:30 AM
In Need of Cup Holders!

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Mod for Mod....will an LS1 always stay ahead of the game I guess? For instance....if you do full bolt ons on an LT1 and the guy down the street does full bolt ons to his LS1 I guess its game over huh? I guess its all relative, technology changes our engine bays and we have to keep up with it best we can. But from what I can tell its safe to say an LT1 can be very very fast, and certainly can run with LS1's if properly setup? As long as I can take care of the local rice and my buddies 5.0 's and 4.6' s I'll be happy.
LT1's can stock down stock Mustangs anyday of the week. Expeccially those 95-98 4.6's.

Yes, mod for mod the LS1 will usually be faster, but if youre really worried about beating LS1's just bottle it as soon as you can. I love my LT1 and Im glad I didnt drop all the extra money on an LS1. Yes they styling is 100 times better, but I still think the lt1 T/A's look decent.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
Ive always been told that LT1s dont like more that 6200 rpms because past that they chew up the bearings.
I was not aware that he was planning on pushing it over 6200 RPM.

With the way the LT1 was made, it is good for over 250,000 mi. Of course, that's if you drive reasonably. With the unique cooling and cast iron block, it may not outperform an LS1, but it'll outlive one.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Did the aftermarket fall short when it comes to the LT1? It seems that you find alot more stuff for the LS1. Like....Heads, Intake, Etc. Did the LS1 just come so quickly that the aftermarket jumped ship and swam to the LS1? Or in fact, am I wrong, and it just seems this way?
Old 04-26-2006, 12:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Did the aftermarket fall short when it comes to the LT1? It seems that you find alot more stuff for the LS1. Like....Heads, Intake, Etc. Did the LS1 just come so quickly that the aftermarket jumped ship and swam to the LS1? Or in fact, am I wrong, and it just seems this way?

no.. its jsut the LT1 is in fact a normal smallblock chevy... there is already a huge after market... we lt1 guys jsut have to get creative to use it
Old 04-26-2006, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

Heard ya
Old 04-26-2006, 02:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragframe
no.. its jsut the LT1 is in fact a normal smallblock chevy... there is already a huge after market... we lt1 guys jsut have to get creative to use it
Well the things he mentioned (heads, intake) are not compatible with parts from sbc motors, so the size of the sbc market is really not all that relavant. The LT1 is very similar to a regular sbc but there are also many differences and parts that are not interchangeable.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Well the things he mentioned (heads, intake) are not compatible with parts from sbc motors, so the size of the sbc market is really not all that relavant. The LT1 is very similar to a regular sbc but there are also many differences and parts that are not interchangeable.
it is possible to use lt1 heads and intake on a sbc with a distributor
conversion with a megasquirt efi system if u do some machining and welding
i recently did this conversion for a 400 sbc engine
i would vote for the LS1 car as there is a far wider aftermarket and if u want
u can always pick up a 6.0 from a salvage yard and build it up
or go 408, u will be happier in the long run
Old 04-26-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Decisions...decisions