LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What is the 60 foot rule....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What is the 60 foot rule....

What is the 60 foot rule, by reducing the 60 foot by x it will reduce your ET by x.
Thanks
Old 05-23-2006, 11:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

General guestimation is for every .1 you reduce your 60' you will get about a .15 reduction in the ET...
Old 05-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always here 1 tenth at 60 is 2 tenths at finish line.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
General guestimation is for every .1 you reduce your 60' you will get about a .15 reduction in the ET...
Agreed
Old 05-23-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have try to test and test this at the track. .15 would work best on the ET end because I have seen numerous 1=1 and i have seen 1=2.

If you're doing the math at your house... just do 1=1 and then if its faster you are happy... if you do 1=2 then when you cut the .4 off your 60' an only cut off .4 in the ET instead of .8 you are not upset.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:51 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have never seen the et change more than the 60' times, all else being equal.
Back when I raced NHRA full time, we didn't have 60' clocks, only 1/4 mile et & mph. When I started playng around with this old car a few years ago, I heard guys telling about gaining more. I asked Mike Edwards (a long time friend that runs NHRA Pro Stock, and one sharp clutch & chassis guy) if he had ever heard of this. He looked at me like I was nuts, and said "Of course now, why would it?" Told him I didn't know, mine certainly never did, but I hear guys tell that. If I make a tire pressure, shock or front travel limiter adjustment, and it goes for instance .05 faster or slower in 60', it then goes the same .05 faster or slower in the 1/4 mile. If you don't have a really consistent car, it may be hard for you to prove to yourself one way or the other. If you have a car that varies .05 or more from run-to-run with no changes in the car, or the air, you will have a tough time testing small things anyway.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Ive heard .10 =.20 on the big end also.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
I have never seen the et change more than the 60' times, all else being equal.
Back when I raced NHRA full time, we didn't have 60' clocks, only 1/4 mile et & mph. When I started playng around with this old car a few years ago, I heard guys telling about gaining more. I asked Mike Edwards (a long time friend that runs NHRA Pro Stock, and one sharp clutch & chassis guy) if he had ever heard of this. He looked at me like I was nuts, and said "Of course now, why would it?" Told him I didn't know, mine certainly never did, but I hear guys tell that. If I make a tire pressure, shock or front travel limiter adjustment, and it goes for instance .05 faster or slower in 60', it then goes the same .05 faster or slower in the 1/4 mile. If you don't have a really consistent car, it may be hard for you to prove to yourself one way or the other. If you have a car that varies .05 or more from run-to-run with no changes in the car, or the air, you will have a tough time testing small things anyway.
I belive all of that. But, we are talking about two differant types of cars. Pro stock NHRA and street/strip cars don't always follow the same rules. With Street/strip cars, getting out the whole has a big deal to do with ET becuase we don't make the mph like say... a pro stock car.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Actually when you think about it, it makes since that for every .1 gained on the 60' you can gain x amount more. This is becuase your velocity is faster sooner which results in higher avg velocity; t=2d/v where d=distance, v= avg velocity, and t=time. For simplification purposes only count the avg velocity from the 60' point on, which is where your making the x gain over the .1 you got over the better launch. When you have a better 60' ft time that generally means your avg velocity will increase (so long as your speed is higher at the 60' mark), hence your t will go down because in our case d=.25 miles. This is somewhat simplified, because you really need to look at acceleration, thats why your 60' time is better in the first place. But regardless this still applies, the same concept is used in autox, when you take a turn its better to slow down more before you go into the turn so you can accelerate more coming out of the turn resulting in a higher speed coming out of the turn, this can drastically reduce your time, especially if its a long striaghtaway. Sorry bout the technical stuff... hope I explained good enough so that it makes some since.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula1996
Actually when you think about it, it makes since that for every .1 gained on the 60' you can gain x amount more. This is becuase your velocity is faster sooner which results in higher avg velocity; t=2d/v where d=distance, v= avg velocity, and t=time. For simplification purposes only count the avg velocity from the 60' point on, which is where your making the x gain over the .1 you got over the better launch. When you have a better 60' ft time that generally means your avg velocity will increase (so long as your speed is higher at the 60' mark), hence your t will go down because in our case d=.25 miles. This is somewhat simplified, because you really need to look at acceleration, thats why your 60' time is better in the first place. But regardless this still applies, the same concept is used in autox, when you take a turn its better to slow down more before you go into the turn so you can accelerate more coming out of the turn resulting in a higher speed coming out of the turn, this can drastically reduce your time, especially if its a long striaghtaway. Sorry bout the technical stuff... hope I explained good enough so that it makes some since.
Agreed. I was just saying that Pro stock cars make the mph all the way down the track where as a street/strip car might hit the "brick wall" if you will. Maybe not.... I do not own a pro stock NHRA car though so I can not give you fact.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

I think its a little different for pro stock top fuel, funny etc, cause they usually can't put all the power down by the 60' anyway, they rely on down force. So that makes things a little different. But like you, I've only raced street cars...
Old 05-24-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Another part of the 60 time is being consistent how you stage, deep or shallow etc.
There are so many variables to an average street car, that trying to figure this 60 time issue out is tiresome.
Just get your technique down with a shallow stage and go for quickest ET. Deep stage to cross finish line first.

Quick Reply: What is the 60 foot rule....