LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tuning help (Tunercats, WinFlash, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning help (Tunercats, WinFlash, etc)

Ok...I am ready to start playing around and learning myself some tuning on my 94 LT1. From what I am reading, I will need a reader/programmer, the def. file, and a cable. If this is everything I need, I am ready to buy it and get going.

I am thinking Tunercat for the def. file and it comes with the WinFlash as far as I can see. Then I will get the USB Interface cable from AKMCables.com.

How does this all sound? And is this all I will need to get started?
Old 06-28-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

yea, it will get you started... but if you know nothing about tuning it... your better off buying a tune from Madz28 or pcmforless... or you can buy all that and have PCMFORLESS email you tunes for 75 bux.... its up to you....
Old 06-28-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by harvickgm
but if you know nothing about tuning it... your better off buying a tune from Madz28 or pcmforless...
No, you can learn to do it, (which he stated his intention was).

In the long run you are better off because you can adjust anything you need yourself.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

yea... and i have been playing with tunes for about a year now... yes you can learn... but some people just expect to get this stuff and jump in and get it done no problems...

i still have alot to learn about the program and still ask for hints and tips from others that know alot more.. like alvin from PCMFORLESS.... but if your looking for the quik and easy way.... mail order one...

but the nice thing that PCMFORLESS also offers is the unlimited for 6 months until the tune is how you like it... as long as you have the stuff to do your own tunes and its only 75 bux
Old 06-28-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

took me 2 years to learn tuning. You can't just jump in and start messing around with fuel and ignition tables. You can SERIOUSLY damage your motor by doing this. Do not go and start learning on ANYTHING you drive daily. Also you have to learn to listen to the car closely. You ahave to know when enough is enough.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

also... if you want to work with your fueling tables to driving and WOT.. get a digital WideBand O2 sensor setup.... best tool for tuning..
Old 06-28-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 9formula4
took me 2 years to learn tuning. You can't just jump in and start messing around with fuel and ignition tables. You can SERIOUSLY damage your motor by doing this. Do not go and start learning on ANYTHING you drive daily. Also you have to learn to listen to the car closely. You ahave to know when enough is enough.
The fuel and ignition tables operate on basic principles and formulas. If you spend the time to learn those first, you will have no problems.

I learned tuning on my DD and had no issues. Yes if you have no clue, you can screw things up, but that's why you get a clue before you start changing things. You do need to spend some time doing the research first, but I see no reason why you should fear tuning your DD as long as you do that.

To the original poster: there is a ton of info about the lt1 in the tuning section on camaroz28. I would recommend checking that out.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jcopelan
Ok...I am ready to start playing around and learning myself some tuning on my 94 LT1. From what I am reading, I will need a reader/programmer, the def. file, and a cable. If this is everything I need, I am ready to buy it and get going.

I am thinking Tunercat for the def. file and it comes with the WinFlash as far as I can see. Then I will get the USB Interface cable from AKMCables.com.

How does this all sound? And is this all I will need to get started?
You also need some datalogging software to really get the most out of it.

Freescan and a few others are free, or you can buy datamaster (worth the $).
Old 06-28-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do plan on giving it quite a bit of time to learn what needs to be learned, and there will be plenty of questions along the way. Gonna be plenty of research before anything gets changed, and I'm glad there are people here who have done it before me to give me tips. The car is freshly tuned up and bone stock and I want to start learning now so that when the time (and money) comes to mod it I will be prepared with the knowledge to give it a decent tune.

Quick Reply: Tuning help (Tunercats, WinFlash, etc)