LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New AI H/C 355 Lives, but Pig Rich

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New AI H/C 355 Lives, but Pig Rich

Well it was on the road tonight. Stock tune so far. It went pretty good. Thing is, it's breaking up pretty bad and it's still running pig rich. The power feels unreal though. We hooked it up to the Modis and it is throwing a knock sensor code. So I'm guessing I'm in need of some fuel management and tuning. I'm thinking about ordering that SLP fuel pressure regulator piece for starters. Any questions, comments, or suggestions are incouraged.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

You need a tune and how much timing is the KS pulling? The KS could be going bad and if it is showing knock then the PCM is adding fuel which is not helping your rich condition.

Fuel Pressure Regs in my opinion are one of the last things to use, the PCM should be able to handle the fueling, unless it is extreme.

Call up Jeff Creech at CAM and tell him the combo and he should be able to set you up even with a Mail Order tune that will help you out alot more than a FPR. But like I said before, you got to get the knock sensor issue squared away.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

The knock sensor is brand new. I'm worried about another thing now. I'm afraid I'm going to be washing out the cylenders with that much fuel going to the engine. I'm still having a stalling issue on the street too. I'm wondering if the fuel issue is causing that problem? I think I may have to break down and buy a mail order tune before the dyno tune so that these things don't happen.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

KS new dont mean a whole lot, how much TQ was used to install it, did you use 'extra' teflon tape on it?

I would call CAM and get a mail order tune, him and Ai are working together so he will be familiar with your set up, if you wanted to go thru Ai first I am sure Phil or Ron would help you out.

Originally Posted by LS1 Eddie
The knock sensor is brand new. I'm worried about another thing now. I'm afraid I'm going to be washing out the cylenders with that much fuel going to the engine. I'm still having a stalling issue on the street too. I'm wondering if the fuel issue is causing that problem? I think I may have to break down and buy a mail order tune before the dyno tune so that these things don't happen.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

I talked to Ron today about it. I'm going to put the stock injectors on toinght to see if that will help the issue. I diddn't know tourqe or teflon tape played a part in installing the knock sensor so thanks for that heads up. I've heard nothing but good reviews about CAM but I'm not looking for an incredable mail order tune. I really want it strapped down to a dyno and have it dialed in just right. I plan on taking it to www.secondstreetspeed.com for the dyno tune.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

CAM is worth the drive/tow and if you get a Mailorder tune from him then the Dyno tune will be less, he will work with ya.

stock injectors will work wonders for the moment.
I talked to Ron today about it. I'm going to put the stock injectors on toinght to see if that will help the issue. I diddn't know tourqe or teflon tape played a part in installing the knock sensor so thanks for that heads up. I've heard nothing but good reviews about CAM but I'm not looking for an incredable mail order tune. I really want it strapped down to a dyno and have it dialed in just right. I plan on taking it to www.secondstreetspeed.com for the dyno tune.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like you had bigger injectors on a stock tune???? VERY fast way to destroy a motor. You made a great choice on the topend but honestly sounds like you need signifigant guidance on everything else. PLEASE keep asking questions and listen to the answers so we can hear some good come of this project. Keep doing things like non-stock injectors and a stock tune and you will be rebuilding the engine.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Resident

Luckily I changed the injectors out today. I still can't get it to idle for very long and have a knock sensor code comming up. Will a mail order tune help my idle problem? Will I be able to put the 30lb injectors back on when I get the mail order tune? I'm actually scared to put those injectors back on at this point.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:59 AM
11 Second Club

Sweet..congrats man! Gotta post some pics & vids.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Call somebody and get a mail order tune, tell them the whole set up, 30# injectors, cam size, motor size, all that, any person that does this has a sheet they fill out.

What is the code you are getting, can you get the number?

Heck, I could send you a mail order tune that would probably work better than the stocker but would rather you call up CAM and get him to send you a PCM OR go to the shop that you are getting the dyno tune from and get that set up.

The idle will need to be set up some from stock, and what TB do you have? You have any way of logging data?

Luckily I changed the injectors out today. I still can't get it to idle for very long and have a knock sensor code comming up. Will a mail order tune help my idle problem? Will I be able to put the 30lb injectors back on when I get the mail order tune? I'm actually scared to put those injectors back on at this point.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Shon, thanks for all the help thus far. I emailed CAM today. I have too much into this whole thing to skimp out on things like tuning. The throttle body I have is the stock one. I will PM you later when I put the car back on the Modis and figure out the code. I clear it every time but it still comes back. I'll let you know. Thanks a lot for you help again.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Modis is not waht he is asking for as far as logging, it will get you the code though.

Change the oil it is going to be heavily fuel diluted.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

The code is 43. Modis is telling me that there are 2 knock sensors on the motor. I know for sure that the one is on the passenger side of the block. Where is the other one? Every time we clear the code, within 5 seconds SES is back on. It's the same code over and over. Is the tuning still playing a part in this?

I'm sorry if these questions sound stupid but I'll never learn if I don't ask.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Where did you get the PCM from is it the stocker?
Vette's have 2 KS, and does the B-bodies have 2?
F-bods have one, I am not familiar with Modis, could it be set to Vette or something like that?
Old 07-29-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

The PCM is the original from the car.
Modis is a Snap On computer. Modular Diognostic Information System. I know for a fact it's not set for a Corvette. I begining to wonder if it is the fact that I had to replace the knock sensor plug with one from a Caprice out of a junk yard since my original broke off.

Quick Reply: New AI H/C 355 Lives, but Pig Rich