LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I'll be willing to bet not many of you have ever herd of this before(starting problm)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 12:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll be willing to bet not many of you have ever herd of this before(starting problm)

Umm....I have been having a rough time with my car. Its a 94 firbird forlmula. It wont start with a ****. It will crank and crank and crank and then get hit and cough for a secound then not start and crank and crank till my battery goes dead. Everyonce in a while through this process the car will eventually start, run like **** at warm up, and then clear up at idels, but run like **** again when you give it alot of gas. Well heres the strange part. Went through this process just a sec ago. the car didnt start so i got out and was locking the doors and closing it and all of the sudden it sounded like a gunshot from my motor, and lots of smoke arouse from the engine. The little thing that you unscrew to poor oil in the valve cover had blown about 50 feet into the air. Smoke was everywhere. when the smoke cleared out (coming from the valve coverS) i saw the gaskets had blown out from around the valve covers. WHAT THE HOLY SH*T?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 94lt1m6
The little thing that you unscrew to poor oil in the valve cover
oil cap?

it may be either a fuel or spark problem stopping a good start.

check the spark plugs and wires. but my bet would be on the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) or fuel pump.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Brand new plugs and wires. fairly new opti cap and rotor. good battery.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Regular

your fuel pump is bad and by cranking and cran king and cranking you pouered what fuel it could supply into the cylinder and caused it to build high compression and fire in the cylinder and from the pressure of the firing it blew out your head gasket and an open valve let it exit into the valve cover and that was to much pressure ofr the plastic cap to hold and that is why your cap blew off.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

nows the time to drop in a walbro 255 pump so you can mod the hell out of the engine when replacing the headgaskets (if they are bad) and wont have to worry about not enough fuel... until you need injectors.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check to make sure your gas cap is sealing correctly. I once drove from one gas station to another cuz i didn't want to wait in line and i didn't tighten the cap and my 94z ran like **** poping, sputtering and stalled out once on me
Old 12-21-2006, 03:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

My car done the exact same thing except for blowing the oil cap off and it was the fuel pump. Killed the starter at the same time!
Old 12-21-2006, 05:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuel pump sounds like a good bet, or dead opti. Pull a wire off an easy to reach plug, and put it next to a ground, then have someone crank it over a few times. See if she sparks. Should be a nice prominent (easy to see even in daylight) spark. Or possible bad coil. I'd start with the coil, then the fuel pump, and over to the opti is it's STILL not fix.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd drain the oil, i know people who have cranked and cranked sbc's and flooded the motor. Well then the gas escapes into the oil and ignites. I dont know if this is likely with a fuel injected motor but it can happen. Your best bet would be to change the oil then deal with the problem.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9formula4
your fuel pump is bad and by cranking and cran king and cranking you pouered what fuel it could supply into the cylinder and caused it to build high compression and fire in the cylinder and from the pressure of the firing it blew out your head gasket and an open valve let it exit into the valve cover and that was to much pressure ofr the plastic cap to hold and that is why your cap blew off.
I didnt blow a head gasket. What i was thinking happend is that when it was cranking, the cylinders filled with gas, and i wasnt getting spark possibly due to a bad coil. Then i got spark and blew that gas up and the explosion had nowhere to go. Kinda like a backfire through the carberator in an older car but since this one isnt carberated it blew out the valve covers.

If i go to a mechanic and have them check my fuel pressure (i think they can do that for free) than that would eleminate, or prove whether the fuel pump was to blame or not wouldnt it.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt blow a head gasket. What i was thinking happend is that when it was cranking, the cylinders filled with gas, and i wasnt getting spark possibly due to a bad coil. Then i got spark and blew that gas up and the explosion had nowhere to go. Kinda like a backfire through the carberator in an older car but since this one isnt carberated it blew out the valve covers.
This is incorrect. If the car was flooded, it would crank and push the thick air/fuel out the exhaust until an ignitable air/fuel ratio was reached. The explosion can only go 2 directions, out the exhaust or out the intake. It can never go out the valve covers (realistically speaking).

Originally Posted by 9formula4
This is also incorrect. No amount of cranking or gas will ever raise your compression. This is only done by changing components (i.e. decreasing your combustion volume). And an open intake valve will never let anything escape into a valve cover unless the valve seals are blown off, it will usually just backfire out the intake.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Strokinit383
This is incorrect. If the car was flooded, it would crank and push the thick air/fuel out the exhaust until an ignitable air/fuel ratio was reached. The explosion can only go 2 directions, out the exhaust or out the intake. It can never go out the valve covers (realistically speaking).

This is also incorrect. No amount of cranking or gas will ever raise your compression. This is only done by changing components (i.e. decreasing your combustion volume). And an open intake valve will never let anything escape into a valve cover unless the valve seals are blown off, it will usually just backfire out the intake.
ok then what exploded? FYI i was not in the car when this happend, the car was not cranking when this happend. About 45 secounds after it had been cranking did it explode.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok then what exploded? FYI i was not in the car when this happend, the car was not cranking when this happend. About 45 secounds after it had been cranking did it explode.
Do you have your pcv system hooked up properly? Was the oil cap on tight? Is the motor freshly rebuilt? Have you checked your oil?
Old 12-21-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also for the poor running problem, i would get a handheld tuner and check out all of your sensors to make sure they are within spec, seems as if something isnt working.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

I totally agree, I bet what happened is one of the plugs fired with a little fuel in it while the intake valve was still open slightly (advanced timing) and blew it all back into the intake. With the throttle blades closed, it had nowhere to go other than thru the PVC system. Thats why you had your valve cover gaskets and oil cap blow out.

I would be assuming the opti or fuel pressure regulator is taking a big crap.

GOOD LUCK!

Joe
Old 12-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Sounds like a coil or ignition module to me. Check your spark by pulling the coil wire and using a small phillips screwdriver sliding it gentle into the boot alongside of the connector and lay the screw driver about 1/4 inch from any ground. Crank it over you should hear a good snappy crack for each cylinder.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:19 PM
12 Second Club

Do you have your pcv system hooked up properly? Was the oil cap on tight? Is the motor freshly rebuilt? Have you checked your oil?
Yes. Yes. No. Yes.

Im going crazy
Old 12-21-2006, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kokamo
I totally agree, I bet what happened is one of the plugs fired with a little fuel in it while the intake valve was still open slightly (advanced timing) and blew it all back into the intake. With the throttle blades closed, it had nowhere to go other than thru the PVC system. Thats why you had your valve cover gaskets and oil cap blow out.

I would be assuming the opti or fuel pressure regulator is taking a big crap.

GOOD LUCK!

Joe
Im a bit confused. He disagrees with me. You say you agree with him, but then you say you think what i think...who do you agree with.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes. Yes. No. Yes.
Hmm...i would say fix your problem, wether it be ignition or fuel, and see if it happpens again. Most likely when you fix what is going wrong then it will solve the underlying problems too. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm...i would say fix your problem, wether it be ignition or fuel, and see if it happpens again. Most likely when you fix what is going wrong then it will solve the underlying problems too. Good luck!
I will check my fuel pressure...to make sure im getting gas. And check my coil for power. I'll do it sometime soon and tell you guys what i found out.