LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

o2 sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 sensor question

Hey guys I'm new here and I got question about my o2 sensor locations for my ORY. I have a set of Pacesetter longtube with their ORY. I know the headers themselves come with o2 bungs installed already to relocate the o2 from the manifold down to the collector, but where do I install the other 2 o2 sensors. I kinda need to know soon cuz I'm taking off work tomorrow to work on getting everything off and getting the y pipe down to a muffler shop to have the new bungs welded in. So if you guys could tell me where you relocated your rear o2's that'd be great. I appreciate any replys. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:02 AM
12 Second Club

When you take it to the shop to get the bungs welded in, they should know where to put them.

Dont really think it matters anyways, just keep a little distance betwen the two on each side.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Aight man I really appreciate it. Thanks
Old 12-27-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ummm.... maybe I'm on the wrong track but, 2nd O2's simply go right after the cat(s). They are used to compare the A/F to the first O2's to make sure your cats are working.

If you do not have cats then its obviously pointless. In that case, tape up and ziptie the old wires and ignore the SES light (haha..).
Old 12-27-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Or run O2 sims, the whole point of the rear O2's is to check if the cats are good or not, if you arent running them then either get someone to tune them out or run O2 simulators.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Teching In

yeah a couple of my friends said I should be able to just unplug the rear o2's and it'd be fine....I would just have an SES light on until I had it tuned out. lol. But that's fine...as long it doesn't make it run like **** with those unplugged. Right??
Old 12-28-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

maybe the LTxs are different than say a Mustang Cobra (98) buy my friends 98 Cobra ran like **** until I installed a set of rear 02 sims for him...
Old 12-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Well I'm gonna be putting them on this weekend so if anyone has tried just unplugging them(temporarily) let me know. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Teching In

How would I get someone to tune them out for me?
Old 12-28-2006, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1_ownr
How would I get someone to tune them out for me?
With LT1-Edit or O2 sims. Any performance shop can.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Aight well I'll prolly go with o2 sims. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure if you know what we're talking about but, O2 simulators will simply plug into the cars harness and give a false reading to the computer so that it thinks the CATs are still there and working fine.

I've been running my car without the rear O2's for about a year and 1/2 now and haven't had any issues from it that I know of. I finally tuned the codes out last week so, its nice not having the SES light on.

LT1edit is simply a tuning program that will allow you to edit various engine controls that the computer uses. To tune out the codes, you simply change things so that those parts that are throwing codes are no longer tested.

Unless you know somebody that can tune it out for cheap/free... its probably cheaper to go with the simulators that you can get off ebay or varoius sites...
Old 12-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Teching In

No, no I understand. So your saying that you have nothing plugged into the harness where the read o2's used to be right? And yeah I know that lt1edit can tune out any codes and such. I just don't have much of anything done to my car right now so that seems pointless to tune something that doesn't need to be tuned. It's just basic bolts that I have. But I appreciate you explaining it to me again.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say "tuned" but, your really not messing with the real tuning of the car. In LT1edit you can look at all the tests that the computer runs when you start your car and while its running. You can look through them by name or just look at the SES code it is assigned. I used AutoTap to scan for codes and just went into LT1edit and found those specific codes/tests and turned them off and set them to not light up the SES light.

Sims would be cheaper to get rid of the light than LT1 edit but, if you pull off your secondary air, there's another SES light. If you pull off your EGR stuff, there's an SES light. If you get rid of EVAP, there's another SES light. So, LT1edit might be worth looking into if you have a computer and the desire/interest to tinker further. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Well I have given some thought to getting the LT1edit tuner device. I do have access to a laptop and everything, but the problem is, my car is how I get around. And I haven't had it for almost two weeks now. My main focus is just to get it back on the road asap. I'm not talking about just throwing it together or anything like that, b/c I am very picky about my car. I hate seeing hacked up cars. Since time is an issue, I'm prolly going to have my friends dad, who owns a shop, weld in the bungs on the ypipe and just put the stock o2's back in for now. And if any of them are bad I'll just replace them with either sims or oem sensors. I really do appreciate all the advice you guys have given me cause ya'll know what your talking about more than me obviously. But again thanks, and I'll def. let everybody know how it does with the new headers on. Later!
Old 12-29-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have catalytic converters still? If you dont, and are running your exhaust from the headers to the muffler with no cats in between the primary and secondary O2's, you will still get the SES light. They are designed to throw a code when they sense something is wrong with your Cats and well, not having them would be something wrong. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here...

Quick Reply: o2 sensor question