LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

which clutch to buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default which clutch to buy

Ok, I'm hoping that nothing is broke clutch wise inside, but in case it is, what should I buy??

I installed a centerforce dual friction about 25k ago, but if its broke what should I replace it with?? The car has 4.10s installed and is going to be sprayed within the next 6 months or so. Also just about every bolt on in the book.

Any info would be appreciated, also cheapest place to buy.
I was looking for the slp but couldn't find it, but someone said it had the same part number as GM's part number?
Old 12-28-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the problem with your current clutch? Why do you think that something might be broken?

I had a centerforce before and thought it was great. Recently when it was all apart, I noticed it was looking quite worn and didn't have to much time left so I got a new one. The centerforce lasted about 3-4 years which was probably 30k miles. I dont know if thats good or bad. I Just put in a SPEC clutch and am not sure I like it. It grabs hard and doesn't engage smooth like I'm used to. My car isn't a race car and I dont intend to 'launch' everytime I stop soooo I'm not sure if it was the best choice but others will swear they are great. JUST my opinion.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your going to find out that everybody has there own clucth that they like. Oneof the most popular and not so popular is the spec series of clutches. Some people like and most tend to hate them but they are one of the most popular for the LT1. Now id money is no object then I would look in the the Mcleod Street twinn. I dont think ive ever heard a bad comment about it other then its a little pricey. But it will be the last clutch you'll ever buy and has fantastic manners. Another good one is the ram series of clutches which arent as popular as say the spec but I havent heard too many bad things about that those.
Your best bet is to do a seach and see what people have to sayabout each kind and go from there. Im partial to RAM fwiw....good luck.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok, can't afford the mcleod, althought I do want one of those!

Looking at the Hays street/strip clutch, anyone have bad experiances with one???

Read the RAM description, says not for use with taller gears or power adders, I have both. I don't like the description for the heavier duty ram clutch either.

I'll take another look at the spec clutches, but I don't know about that.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Launching!

I run the ram power grip hd. it works great. I'm running a 9" with 4.33 gears.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 25k the spring pressure in the pressure plate should be holding up pretty well. If it was mine I would go with a ls7 clutch disk and get the pressure plate and flyweel resurfaced if the fw isn't a stock unit and was new at 25k ago. Also a new slave, to bearings, and a pilot bushing since the flywheel's gonna be out anyways.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Internet Mechanic

Spec 3+ is a badass clutch id look into those for you.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
At 25k the spring pressure in the pressure plate should be holding up pretty well. If it was mine I would go with a ls7 clutch disk and get the pressure plate and flyweel resurfaced if the fw isn't a stock unit and was new at 25k ago. Also a new slave, to bearings, and a pilot bushing since the flywheel's gonna be out anyways.
Its an LT1 boss.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

OK, well I got the Hays street/strip clutch. My dad was paying for it,so I didn't want to break the bank. I thought about getting the Spec 3, due to it being $520, but thunder racing charges shipping, and in case I don't need it and send it back, there could have been a restocking fee, and you have to call ahead to return it.

Summit, if I don't need it, I just ship it back and be done with it.
In case there isn't anything wrong inside when that trans is unbolted.

Oh yeah, why I think something is broken. My pedal went flat, then got really stiff, couldn't put the clutch pedal in. Then I shut the car down, well right before that I forced it out of 6th and into neutral, and heard a horrible grinding sound. After replacing the aster/slave cylinder assembly, still have a problem. Current thoughts are that I destroyed the pressure plate or something, its getting torn into on Tuesday, so hopefully I will know, but parts are on order anyway and will get here Tuesday the latest also, shipping from OH to PA. Also ordered a rear main seal.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh yeah, and I loved my Rear Girdle and main bearing stud kit from Thunder racing, its just that with them you don't know if your part will be on backorder, or how long to ship, I love that company, just that time is def. a issue right now, so had to go with the good old summitracing.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
is that possible?