LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ah F*** - RANT Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ah F*** - RANT Time

Well I went out to the shop with my mechanic today and we got my car inside he put some bolts in my crank hub so I could turn it manually because he was gonna set the posi locks..

so dumbass me screwed the 3 bolts in alittle more because they where wobbling around and I didnt know there was a clearance issue with the MSD probillet opti so now the case (corner of it the botton round part) is all smashed the **** up i know its pretty thick plastic.... but it should be fine right?? as far as sealing or should I throw some silicone on it just to be safe?? I didnt crack it thank god

here's where it crushed the plastic (bright red at bottom)

on a side note I we got all my posi locks adjusted except around 5-6 of them because the lifters are bad **** intake has to come off again those damn springs killed my lifters, studs and everything

Last edited by Gun5; 01-07-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I would make him pay a good portion for a new one..
Old 01-07-2007, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

His mechanic didn't do it...
Old 01-07-2007, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Got it, I can't read..
You might need a new one..
Old 01-07-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

ya my dumbass fault and I dont have money to begin with.. it didnt crack it like i said just crushed the plastic u know like when u rub up against it.. if it runs good im sure just leave it ill do a better inspection when its on the lift

im just worried about it not sealing good what else could it **** up ignition wise?
Old 01-07-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might get away with just getting a new cap.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on just how smashed the cap is, I suppose the rotor could tag it. It would have to be pretty bad though.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Depending on just how smashed the cap is, I suppose the rotor could tag it. It would have to be pretty bad though.

oh its just the cpa thats dmged i know i could get away with just a cap definitlybut i dont want to replace anything its only a few mm worth of crush how do i tell if anythings rubbing?? it didnt really push it like bend or warp it just crushed it u know

its only pushed in this much

|-|

between those bars its feelable and seeable but not that much and its just on the edge
Old 01-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Launching!

pic would be real handy... I am understanding it as you basically just scuffed it up.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1nitrouZ
pic would be real handy... I am understanding it as you basically just scuffed it up.
ya i tryed but to dark in the damn shop room we had it in a side bay without a lift.. its more then a scuff its like a deep scratch lol
Old 01-07-2007, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Take it off and take it appart. If you are lucky it will just have to replace the cap.
Why didn't you just use the starter to crank the engine over?
I would assume you had sping binding problems?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS Aleks
Take it off and take it appart. If you are lucky it will just have to replace the cap.
Why didn't you just use the starter to crank the engine over?
I would assume you had sping binding problems?
we've bumped this engine like hundreds of times due to the valve train probs i know if we keep doing it the starter will become victim
so we where just doing it by hand and dumbass me ofcourse.. i dont see how it could be MORE then the cap the cap isnt pressed against anything its just like i put a dremel to it and took some plastic off.. .. but its not open its still sealed ill take my chances and try it ill try and get some pics to

Last edited by Gun5; 01-07-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

I just thought that if you had to take the intake off and where doing work any way it would not be a bad idea (if it where cracked). If the cover its self is not cracked or the seal compromised, then you probably didn't hurt it.

It's better to kill a $150 starter (LT4 mini) than a $500 distributor.

It sucks that you are having such a rough go round with it. Did you figure out why the valve train is shot?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS Aleks
I just thought that if you had to take the intake off and where doing work any way it would not be a bad idea (if it where cracked). If the cover its self is not cracked or the seal compromised, then you probably didn't hurt it.

It's better to kill a $150 starter (LT4 mini) than a $500 distributor.

It sucks that you are having such a rough go round with it. Did you figure out why the valve train is shot?
bah the valve train.. ok the springs we got with the heads had to much spring pressure.. aka collapsed the lifters so we changed springs.. put new posi locks on.. saw studs where bent put new studs on.. put eveything back on tryed to set them and a few lifters on each get pushed down when being set so like a few rockers we cant set... gay i know right?? and ya I know its bullshit with me just being careless this **** always frustrates me.. my mechanic to..

but we are gonna replace the lifters this week both sides.. set everything.. im gonna inspect the Pro Billet maybe snap a pic or something im praying to god its alright i really have no money
Old 01-08-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did that too, I screwed in the bolts all the way and smashed my opti, but it was bad anyway, took a dexcool shower thanks to a bad waterpump.

I was reading and I was like WTH are posi locks, then I read that you had bad lifters so I was OH. Well its poly locks. Anyways. Good luck, hopefully it only gets better and not worse
Old 01-08-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

that sucks.........
Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
I did that too, I screwed in the bolts all the way and smashed my opti, but it was bad anyway, took a dexcool shower thanks to a bad waterpump.

I was reading and I was like WTH are posi locks, then I read that you had bad lifters so I was OH. Well its poly locks. Anyways. Good luck, hopefully it only gets better and not worse
that blows atleast it was bad mine has 200 miles on it and the one before it (MSD CAP ROTOR was 500 but the GM part failed on it)

well the engine will have been totally replaced after this we shoulda done it the first time but **** it we are doing it now.. im not happy about it but it will run good after this stuff... and ya i said posi locks like 9 times so im stuck saying posi instead of poly grrr

BTW can someone post the those pics someone took of the MSD opti when they got it i mean the high res real big pics of the inside of the cap I want to look at it see if what i pushed might have contacted the rotor or anything

GODDAMNIT WHY DO I HAVE TO BE SO FKING STUPID

Last edited by Gun5; 01-08-2007 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

That is what got broke..or is that a photoshopped pic..
The first thing I can see if that is what happened is water can get in there really easy, and that will kill it fast.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by the_merv
That is what got broke..or is that a photoshopped pic..
The first thing I can see if that is what happened is water can get in there really easy, and that will kill it fast.
photochopped like I said a better inspection is required of it its smashed where the black is but from what i felt/saw with a flashlight there was no cracks
Old 01-08-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gun5, what makes you think your lifters are bad? How much spring pressure are you running?

You DO realize, they all collapse when the engine is stopped and that valve is open. . .

Mike

Quick Reply: Ah F*** - RANT Time