LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Getting oil pressure in new motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting oil pressure in new motor

I turned it over with the opti harness unhooked to see if I could get oil pressure. Only cranked on it for about 15 seconds and still nothing. I don't want to hurt the new motor so I was wondering how long it took you guys to get oil pressure to register on the gauge before starting it?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Launching!

I had primed my oil pump before I had the intake on and made sure I had oil to the oil sending port before I put my intake on. I do not think that cranking the engine will cause an issue or damage. I would just keep cranking until I had oil pressure. I just would make sure you have some pressure before you enable the ignition.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

I was told you should never use the starter to turn the motor over and prime a new engine. You should first prime the oil pump using a drill and the special extension for a new motor. When you start the motor for the first time, run it at 2-3k RPM for 20min or so. That's what I was told.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by seawolf06
I was told you should never use the starter to turn the motor over and prime a new engine. You should first prime the oil pump using a drill and the special extension for a new motor. When you start the motor for the first time, run it at 2-3k RPM for 20min or so. That's what I was told.

Just my opinion, but that's easier said than done on an LT1 F or Y body with the engine in the car. Not really enough room to get back there. Just my $0.02 though
Old 01-16-2007, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1QWKT/A
I turned it over with the opti harness unhooked to see if I could get oil pressure. Only cranked on it for about 15 seconds and still nothing. I don't want to hurt the new motor so I was wondering how long it took you guys to get oil pressure to register on the gauge before starting it?
Your only options at this point are to crank it up while someone watches the oil pressure, if no pressure after it cranks within the first few seconds, shut it down. The filter has to be full. What the builder should have done was filled the filter and then use the drill method prior install, engine building 101. I doubt you want to pull your intake.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1QWKT/A
This is how ive always done F cars. It took my new engine with a full oil filter and a preprimed oil pump about 20 seconds for pressure to start coming up. You of course wont see full pressure in this manner. But aftert the 1st time it comes up. let it sit for a few mins. crank it again, and observe, then start the engine. You will have oil to the bearings well b4 the pressure shows. Never seen any problems with this. This is also how we prime all the engines we do in the dealership i work in. Hundreds of engines done this way with no problems yet.

GL with your new build!
Matt
Old 01-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

You guys keep talking about using a drill to prime the engine. There is no way to do this on an LS1. The oil pump is driven by the crank, not a separate shaft. The only thing you can do on an LS1 is pack the oil pump with grease or vasoline prior to installing it. Then, cranking without fuel or ignition might get the pressure up.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

in the GM factory manual it says to use a pressurized oil canister, but who has one or has ever even seen one? I just used the starter, like someone else said, make sure the filter is full with oil. I had no problems what so ever with priming by the starter.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 451stroker
You guys keep talking about using a drill to prime the engine. There is no way to do this on an LS1. The oil pump is driven by the crank, not a separate shaft. The only thing you can do on an LS1 is pack the oil pump with grease or vasoline prior to installing it. Then, cranking without fuel or ignition might get the pressure up.

They arent talking about an ls1, they are talking about an LT1. I dont think it is going to hurt the motor to use the starter to prime the system. I used to do it to my motors all the time. As long as it dosent start you will be good. I would only do it in 10-15 second incriments. You dont want to burn your starter out.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the_hunted
They arent talking about an ls1, they are talking about an LT1. I dont think it is going to hurt the motor to use the starter to prime the system. I used to do it to my motors all the time. As long as it dosent start you will be good. I would only do it in 10-15 second incriments. You dont want to burn your starter out.
Oh, sorry.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your oil pressure sender ok? They are very easy to break when installing the motor...I've been thru a few of them...Just one more thing to check...

--Alan
Old 01-16-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

The way I did mine was I found a new air cylinder filled one side with oil and put air pressure on the other side. then hook up it to the oil sensor port then slowly put low air pressure untill the oil is gone, I did 2qs of oil like that worked good for me.
oh I also turned the motor by hand alittle to make sure oil got around my bearings.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

I assembled the motor myself after the crank rods and pistons were in and i didn't prime it, got all excited and overlooked it I suppose. I might check the sensor, because I cranked on it today in 15 second increments with a rest in between and still was showing no oil pressure. I don't want to start it up only to find I have no oil pressure so I'll change the sensor and try again. Thanks for the help guys
Old 01-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Launching!

I know this might seem dumb, but you did put oil in the motor right? Because unless you left a cap off of a rod or a main or the gauge is broke you should have oil psi.

Quick Reply: Getting oil pressure in new motor