LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Airbags!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbags!?!

Okay, so I rearended somebody and my airbags went off, which was about the only damage (bent bumper and hood) and the insurance company totaled it.

I was wondering if I have to put airbags back in it (around $1800) to make it street legal again?

I was told that it only had to pass inspection to get a salvaged title and become street legal again. Does anyone know anything about this. I live in NC. Help would be appreciated.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!

hear check these out

http://cgi.ebay.ca/93-96-Camaro-Fire...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1993-1997-CAMARO-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1996-Chevrolet-Ca...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1993-95-97-CAMARO...QQcmdZViewItem

ALOT CHEAPER then paying 1800 new,
Old 02-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Teching In

No kidding, thanks. But do they have to go back in?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!

as in reinstall them? I dunno Id put them in anyway, theres nothing to it, pop the old ones out and pop the new ones in reclip the wire, bam done.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

I would leave the wires unclipped so that doesn't happen again..them things do save lives, but they hurt more than they help. Mine are all unplugged.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn Merv working for the FD I'm sure you have pull out people who ate the wind sheild or the steering wheel for not having air bags
Old 02-13-2007, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
Damn Merv working for the FD I'm sure you have pull out people who ate the wind sheild or the steering wheel for not having air bags
The problem is with lower speed impacts where the air bags are still triggered -- a lot of people suffer burns from the air bag coming out along with more injuries from the force of the airbag hitting them than the accident itself.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
The problem is with lower speed impacts where the air bags are still triggered -- a lot of people suffer burns from the air bag coming out along with more injuries from the force of the airbag hitting them than the accident itself.

I don't buy it. I have been hit by the air bags twice. Once was a fairly low speed hit, the other was a pretty bad head on accident. I wasn't even wearing a seat belt during the bad one. If it hadn't been for the air bags my face wouldn't look the same today. Any burns that I received from the bags were nothing more than a minor irritation. I was a little sore from both hits, but considering that one of them could have changed my life forever makes a fair trade in my eyes.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

To answer your question yes you do have to reinstall them if you plan on selling it it is illegal to sell a car without airbags if it is supposed to have them..
Old 02-13-2007, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

I also have some airbags that i could sell for $250 shipped that includes the one in the steering wheel and the one in the dash.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Teching In

I don't plan on selling the car, just making it street legal...
Old 02-14-2007, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
I don't buy it. I have been hit by the air bags twice. Once was a fairly low speed hit, the other was a pretty bad head on accident. I wasn't even wearing a seat belt during the bad one. If it hadn't been for the air bags my face wouldn't look the same today. Any burns that I received from the bags were nothing more than a minor irritation. I was a little sore from both hits, but considering that one of them could have changed my life forever makes a fair trade in my eyes.
The Arguement goes both ways.. I have seen wrecks where they have saved lives, and I have seen them where all they did was create more injury. In these cars, when they go off, it tears the **** out of the Interior, and part of the Winshield in most of the ones that I have seen. If you wear your Seat Belt, you are reducing the injuries that can be sustained in a wreck. I am not saying eliminating, there is still a possibility in anything that you will get a little fucked up. For those of us that wear Glasses, like myself, that bag is hitting them Glasses, and there is a good possibility that the Lenses fragment and go into your eyes. Also like mentioned before, it does burn when it comes out.
The way I see it, if I wreck to where that steering wheel is coming through my chest or face, that Air Bag is not stopping it.

And I read your post and I will say this, wear your Seat Belt atleast.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

unplug airbags.... that sounds like a great ideer!
Old 02-14-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
Old 02-14-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by the_merv
The Arguement goes both ways.. I have seen wrecks where they have saved lives, and I have seen them where all they did was create more injury. In these cars, when they go off, it tears the **** out of the Interior, and part of the Winshield in most of the ones that I have seen. If you wear your Seat Belt, you are reducing the injuries that can be sustained in a wreck. I am not saying eliminating, there is still a possibility in anything that you will get a little fucked up. For those of us that wear Glasses, like myself, that bag is hitting them Glasses, and there is a good possibility that the Lenses fragment and go into your eyes. Also like mentioned before, it does burn when it comes out.
The way I see it, if I wreck to where that steering wheel is coming through my chest or face, that Air Bag is not stopping it.

And I read your post and I will say this, wear your Seat Belt atleast.

I must admit since I don't wear glasses, I didn't think about that. Like I said though, the burns that I received were nothing more than a minor irritation. To me it was like getting hit really hard with a big pillow.

I hope none of us need the air bags, but I wouldn't go around suggesting that anyone should unhook them.

BTW, that wreck was several years ago. I allways wear my seatbelt now.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

i have the set out of my car if you need them. Ill sell the stearing wheel with it already too. Lemme know if you want um.

Quick Reply: Airbags!?!