LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

t-top ?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t-top ?????

Like they all do, Mine leak like they aren't even there. How do I fix this?
Old 02-17-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine dont...I've heard from many people "4th gens TTops dont leak!" I just heard they're waaayyy better sealed then that of the 3rd gens...but I guess there's a possibility.

I re-did my buddies 3rd gen ttops this way, so I'm guessing this might be the way you might want to take aswell. We stripped the seals from the ttops themselves, layed down our new seals we bought, layed RTV around the edges to insure a even better seal and they never leaked again.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

How well did you do that RTB on that Seal, what exactly did you do.. I am wondering cause that could look shitty if you gob it on there.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I squirted my man juice on it and it was perfect

I'll see if I can't get Tom to bring over his T/A or when I see him next to take them off and snap some pictures, I didnt "Gob" it on there as you might think...I just simply did a fine bead of RTV totally around the bottom of the seal where it meets the roof. Nothing special too it you just have to have a steady hand and not go into a convulsion with the tube
Old 02-17-2007, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Yea, mine leakes like a water fall at the top front where the T-top meets the drivers and passenger side windows. Even with the doors completely closed and the windows all the way up, it leaks like crazy. Never noticeed it till i got lazy and took my car to a drive through car wash. When the sprayers got to the top of the windows...lets just say my leg got soaked...lol. And all the weather stripping looks to be just fine. No tears and no cracking, just seems to not seal good at all.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97REDZ28
Yea, mine leakes like a water fall at the top front where the T-top meets the drivers and passenger side windows. Even with the doors completely closed and the windows all the way up, it leaks like crazy. Never noticeed it till i got lazy and took my car to a drive through car wash. When the sprayers got to the top of the windows...lets just say my leg got soaked...lol. And all the weather stripping looks to be just fine. No tears and no cracking, just seems to not seal good at all.

Is it leaking at the top left and top right of your ttops (left top driver side, right top on the passenger side? I had this problem a while back with my 97 when I didnt have it wrecked...I found out my ttop wasnt sitting fully down and matting itself fully against the seal (which I also knew was good) but on my driver side was worse, the pin on the driver side wasnt really pushing the ttops down at all, so I had to fill the hole where the t-tops pin would go into with a metal sleeve as I found out the hole that the ttops pin went into was worn down.

And besides, I thought us LT1 owners because of our optispark's water kryptonite...we should NEVER go through the automated car wash!
Old 02-17-2007, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by phrozen755
And besides, I thought us LT1 owners because of our optispark's water kryptonite...we should NEVER go through the automated car wash!
Like I said, I was lazy that day and it was cold outside and my car was filthy and couldn't stand it anymore so I just broke down and went throught the automated car wash. It's hard to keep a car clean here in Cheyenne cuz it's either windy as hell, cold as F#@%, snowing or all of the above.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only my passenger side leaks, I just live with it,

It only leaks when the car is stopped, otherwise its fine
Old 02-17-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

96 t-top here with no leaks. I rarely take them out and I always clean and condition them when I do soooo, that might have something to do with it.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

my t tops only leak in the front outside corner of both t-tops. It only has that problem when it sits in the rain for some time and it only leaks right after i start driving when its been sitting. It's fine till I hit the brakes and it seems the water all comes forward and like a small amount of water will leak in. Other than that no problem. I rub Vaseline on my seals around my window on the t tops. Helps keep it pliable

Quick Reply: t-top ?????