LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

2 cold air questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 cold air questions

hey guys, it's official that i will be ordering a cold air intake this weekend after i get this paycheck. so i have a couple of last minute questions. first, is there gonna be any big difference between getting a chrome intake as opposed to a plastic one? a friend of mine tried to tell me that (technically) the metal will warm up and so will the air. so he said he'd look for a plastic one. but somehow i don't think this will make a significant difference right? and secondly, is there any advantage to having a whole kit, like, with the elbow and all? all of the K&N kits i've seen on ebay require you to retain the factory elbow, but the Chrome Intake company sells a whole system with a K&N filter. so any input would be appreciated because i'm ready to get this. thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

what chrome intake are you talking about? i wouldnt get a ebay CAI. IMO there not made well. the heat soak for a metal CAI isnt true. the air is moving faster than the time needed to heat it up. as far as the intake elbow goes, you can use the stock one for now, and you probably wont see any gains out of an aftermarket one, but i got one just for the looks. i also like the looks of the metal intakes, thats why i got my SLP. its all in what you want.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:22 PM
JUICED96Z

I have a chrome GMPP CAI, they are not cheap though. Are like $200 new.

Im the ONLY car with one at the cruise ins though
Old 02-28-2007, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
I have a chrome GMPP CAI, they are not cheap though. Are like $200 new.

Im the ONLY car with one at the cruise ins though
BASTARD! i looked all over for the GMPP CAI when i was in the market for one, but GM ended production with them, so i settled with the SLP.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

dont waste the money on the chrome intakes on ebay. i know a few people who bought them and they wound up rusting out. poor quatity overall.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Resident

Well I bought the chromeintakes CAI off of ebaymotors and I don't recommend it. It won't rust out because it is made of stainless, at least mine was but it won't fit well either. I ended up using the 1st half of my stock intake and making an adaptor/spacer to get the lower portion with filter to fit. Otherwise, I couldn't close my hood without the tubing hitting. The kit I bought provides no good way to secure the intake ducting either. Overall I was pretty unhappy with the thing. BTW, you aren't getting a real K&N filter; it is a K&N style filter.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Moroso CAI fits pretty nice.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Launching!

thanks guys
Old 03-01-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a ebay intake. I didnt get the one with the elbow because the elbow does suck. Mine fits good and is still shiny. Had to put a good filter on it but in the end I paid less than 100 bucks
Old 03-01-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

got that gayass chrome one they SHOW with a chrome elbow but its really a plastic thin piece of **** elbow **** it after i got water in my other car i jus got the ram air for my bird... gf's car is getting the CAI though or maybe just the cut box with Moroso i got one of thsoe 2
Old 03-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
Well I bought the chromeintakes CAI off of ebaymotors and I don't recommend it. It won't rust out because it is made of stainless, at least mine was but it won't fit well either. I ended up using the 1st half of my stock intake and making an adaptor/spacer to get the lower portion with filter to fit. Otherwise, I couldn't close my hood without the tubing hitting. The kit I bought provides no good way to secure the intake ducting either. Overall I was pretty unhappy with the thing. BTW, you aren't getting a real K&N filter; it is a K&N style filter.
I had the same issues with mine and I had the money to get a REAL one.I figured I could get rid of the donky dong but the elbow they sent was jacked up. The IAT was at 12 o'clock, I have a 94 and there was hole for a vented opti. I did'nt realize what it was at first but when I emailed the guy and sent pics of my stock one and his he replies "I've never seen one without the hole just stick a bolt in it". The A.I.R on his was between the MAF and TB I don't know if that would cause any issues but it aint in the right place. I also had to peen it and trim the radiator shroud to get the hood to close properly because POS rested on the hydraulic modulator. Overall score out of 10, I give it a 2.3. The kit from the Maf forward my be worth it with the K&N but 3 piece kit is **** and if anybody is thinking about buying it just make your own.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:46 AM
TECH Resident

Right. I ended up using some of the pieces so it wasn't a total loss. What I don't like is how the filter just dangles down in the fender. The real CAI kits have a stamped plate that bolts up where the stock intake parts used to be to make a rigid mount. I had a Z28 with a real K&N CAI and it looked factory. This chromeintakes thing is such a hack up in comparison.

I got curious and looked on ebay at the chromeintakes auctions and see that they now offer another kit with a genuine K&N filter for more money. When I bought mine they only sold the kit with a K&N "style" filter so at least that's an improvement. I don't mean to just dis these kits but I mentally kick myself for not spending the extra money and getting a good quality K&N, Moroso or even a Trans-Dapt that fits - every time I look at mine.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

I wouldnt even waist your time on a cold air intake...I bought the SLP one and didnt even really notice anything...go with a ram air conversion...you'll get your air that way!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1 lid setups, enough said
Old 03-02-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Hot94Z28
I have a Moroso CAI fits pretty nice.

same here
Old 03-02-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MetallicTrans96
I wouldnt even waist your time on a cold air intake...I bought the SLP one and didnt even really notice anything...go with a ram air conversion...you'll get your air that way!
not true I did notice a significant difference by adding a fipk. Ram air is over rated imo, theres so little "forced induction" logically I can't see how there are much gains over a standard well setup cai.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

How is a ram air overrated? Air is being ran straight into your motor...Im not saying cold air systems are bad but i notice more of a difference by going to an ls1 lid intake...The quicker you can get more air and fuel into your motor the better it will run.... right?

Quick Reply: 2 cold air questions