LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hooking gauges up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hooking gauges up?

Ok, so I am starting to plan out how I am going to install a oil and tranny temp gauge in my car. I have figured out how I am going to build my custom mounting plate, however, I am having some problems figuring out how I am going to do the wiring of the gauges to the tranny and the oil.

I have had a tranny cooler installed and I plan on splitting the line and plumbing in a 3/8" T-fitting on the hot side of the cooler. I read that the gauges I am looking into, autometer, have a 3/8" and 1/2" inch adapter, so I figured that would work nicely. However, I am not sure as to what size the hose is that runs to the cooler. It is raining out, so I am not really wanting to go lay under the car right now. So does anyone know what size that hose should be, or will it vary by the company who made the cooler? (I am not sure of who made the cooler, the local shop back home installed it)

Second, the oil temp sensor. My roommate tried to hook one up on his V-6 and the adapters are all too big and the 1/8" sensor is ofcourse too small. I did some searching and found this site.

Adapters

All of those adapters come in that kit for that price, which seems like a good deal.

So my question is; what is the size and pitch of the treads on the stock LT1 oil pan? And if anyone is familar with the 3.4 V6 in a Firebird; what size is it as well? It would be great if we used a different size and they were both in the kit.

Thanks

-bryan
Old 03-01-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

ttt...
Old 03-01-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Any help guys? I know alot of you have oil temp gauges, how did you hook them up?

-bryan
Old 03-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump, curious myself
Old 03-02-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

ttt... Any help at all guys?

-bryan
Old 03-03-2007, 05:42 PM
9 Second Club

what i have done in the past and will do with my new setup is run the sending units for oil temperature directly in the pan... i believe the canton pan has a bung already setup for it....

ANd for your tranny take your pan down and have a bung welded into the side of it..... sending unit will screw right in.....

Why do you want to put the fitting on the hot side of the cooler????? temp in the pan is really what matters....
Old 03-04-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Why do you want to put the fitting on the hot side of the cooler????? temp in the pan is really what matters....
Because I want to avoid having to do that. I figured since the lines that run to cooler come straight from the tranny that it would acurate it letting me know what the tranny is producing, temp wise. My whole point in the reducers and the T-fitting was the avoid any drilling/welding/tapping the oil and tranny pan.

-bryan
Old 03-04-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

I lot of people put their senders in the pressure port for the tranny. Some will argue not to do this.

I have my temp sender in the pan and also previously in the pressure port as well. I observed no differences in temperature. Either will do.

No modification is needed for the pressure port. 1/8 pipe.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
I lot of people put their senders in the pressure port for the tranny. Some will argue not to do this.

I have my temp sender in the pan and also previously in the pressure port as well. I observed no differences in temperature. Either will do.

No modification is needed for the pressure port. 1/8 pipe.
That is where I have my transmission temp sending unit located as well:
http://shbox.com/1/a4_plug.jpg
Old 03-04-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

So that is an 1/8 inch size hole and the sender will fit perfectly? Next, is that the same for the 94's. I am guessing that is the 4L60E in that picture right?

And just for clarification, this is for tranny temp correct?

-bryan
Old 03-04-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Yes. Yes. It should be. Yes.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys! That just made this project a little bit easier.

I still need to know about the oil drain plug. What size is it, thread wise. I do not want to drill it out or add a fitting, just for the simple fact that I would have to pull the pan to do that. I would not be comfortable doing that with it on for the chance that shavings will end up in places I do not want them.

However, the oil pan gasket is leaking like a son of a gun. Is there a way to remove it with out lowering the chassis peices? If there is, it might be worth pulling it and getting a machine shop to weld me something in there for the sensor and it would give me a chance to replace that gasket.

Thanks guys

-bryan
Old 03-05-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

ttt...
Old 03-21-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

So when I pull that bolt out of the pressure port, how much fluid should I expect to loose from the tranny? I am gettin closer to get my little stash stocked up, and I am starting to get some more pricing done.

-bryan
Old 03-22-2007, 06:18 AM
TECH Addict

Shouldn't have any fluid come out of the tranny.

If you are putting the engine oil temp on an LT1, there should be a port right above the oil filter you could use. I believe it is 1/8" pipe as well.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

If you are putting the engine oil temp on an LT1, there should be a port right above the oil filter you could use. I believe it is 1/8" pipe as well.
This is the first I have heard about this, anyone else know about this. I thought the treads were a bit off on that one and you have to tap it. But I could be wrong.

-bryan
Old 03-22-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's where I put my oil temp sensor. It's 1/8" pipe. When pulling the plug, you should see very little oil, if any coming out.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome, so there is an 1/8th inch port for the oil temp above the oil filter and there is an 1/8th inch pressure line on the tranny for the temp, correct? I wont need any sort of adapter to make the autometer sensors fit at all. Just plug and play...

Thanks guys.

-bryan