LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cruise controll hits revlimiter!!!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 07:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Cruise controll hits revlimiter!!!!! Help

First of all i have a 94 z 4l60e just some little bolt ons and a pcmforless tune.

I have two issues with this car that i could use some help on if anyone reading could do so i would be very thankful.

First off the when i come to a stop quickly and then gas it (like a stop sign) like half of the time it will hesitate/backfire sounds like thru intake side.

Secondly I was crusinng at 65 down the hwy with the cruise on and accidently bumped it into neutral and well thank god for the rev limiter just bounced on it untill i hit the brake to disable the cruise. Why the heck would it do that?

with the first problem i would assume that a lean condition would be the issue as it is not the opti, I have a brand new MSD opti and (yeah i know i spend way too much to have both) a delteq setup that elimates the need for the ignition part of the opti. The car has always done this since day one when it was bone stock. The only things that i imagine it could be would be fuel pump(unlikly i checked it with guage and no high speed probs) injectors maybe have not checked at all, or a intake leak which i havent checked yet either. However my local shop said (after looking at it for thirty seconds) that it is probally due to my smaller performane pulley that makes my voltage meter in the dash sit right at the edge of the red zone at idle.

could yall give me some detailed info on how to figure out what exaactly is causing the probls i have here? I am low on cash to have someelse fix it for me after buying first a delteq and still having probs untill the NEw msd opti unit(not just cap and rotor= full unit!

THanks
Old 03-10-2007, 07:56 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Your drivability issues could be a number of things. Go through the regular checks, codes, injectors, MAPP, etc.

The cruise control system has no idea what gear you're in. IT assumes you're in drive. You must’ve done this while it was accelerating.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:23 PM
9 Second Club

so basically every f-body will do the cruise controll thing i am talking about?

please try it on yours everyone and let me know what it does. i have tried it on all five of my other cars and none of them do it(only my f-body does)on
every single one the cruise system shuts down!!
Old 03-10-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i can tell you on my 97 6 speed i pushed in the clutch and the cruse stayed turned on and i just did it for you about 20 min ago
Old 03-10-2007, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

+1 that is one of the "features" of the fbody CC it looks at the cars speed not the revs.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:53 AM
9 Second Club

thanks for getting back to me 97

so i take it your motor started to rev up? unless of course you were going down hill.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:59 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Your drivability issues could be a number of things. Go through the regular checks, codes, injectors, MAPP, etc.

The cruise control system has no idea what gear you're in. IT assumes you're in drive. You must’ve done this while it was accelerating.

would you mind posting some good links/tutorials for the regular checks?

thanks i am kind of a newbie, i can fix and rebuild cars but figuing out what malfunction is causing what ---- is a whole other ball game.

also your number seem kinda low for all the stuff you have done, do you think it is because of the gears you still have?
Old 03-11-2007, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

i did it again and it turned off both times i dont know why it didnt do it the first time but then again i would think that the auto wouldnt matter because you dont have a clutch to push in and disable the system we need and auto to try it and see what happens good luck
Old 03-11-2007, 04:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by letsrun97z
i did it again and it turned off both times i dont know why it didnt do it the first time but then again i would think that the auto wouldnt matter because you dont have a clutch to push in and disable the system we need and auto to try it and see what happens good luck
wow thats wierd, did you happen to tap the brake the second and third time but not the first,

i would really like for someone with a 94 auto camaro to try this and post the results here(just bump it in neutral while driving with the cruise on, dont worry it will either very slowly start to rev up or it will disable the cruise, and dont touch the brake while you do it or that will disable the cruise too
Old 03-11-2007, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

The Cruise Control picks up the signal from the VSS on the Transmission. If you pop it in Neutral, the car is going to slow down, and the Cruise is going to give it throttle to speed it back up. With no resistance in Neutral, it will go right to the Rev Limiter. Here is another interesting thing this car does, if you are moving forward at a speed that is too much for Reverse and click it in Reverse, it will shut the car down and coast. I did that by accident, and it killed the car. Pop it in Neutral and it started right back up, no SES light or anything. Got to love Computers..
Old 03-11-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I once put the clutch in while on the free way when I first got the car instead of hitting the brake and the car revved like crazy. But yea, the cruise will do that.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cruise control will automatically pick up the Revs once the speed goes down. This is the reason the car revved up when you went into neutral.

No need for anyone to test it, its just a part of the cruise control control system.....it automatically adjusts to VSS, just as the_merv said.

It would be the same as if you held the pedal at 70, put it in N, and tried to keep the revs where thy would be if you were in D. The rpms will climb and the car won't accelerate. Cruis control assumes you are going uphill or putting a load on the engine and will overcompensate by increasing RPMs.

Don't do it anymore!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:12 PM
9 Second Club

well i guess this is normal so thanks all!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by the_merv
Here is another interesting thing this car does, if you are moving forward at a speed that is too much for Reverse and click it in Reverse, it will shut the car down and coast.
It does that because in doing so it cuts the hydraulic pressure to the transmission which A4s need, and in doing so it forces it into neutral effectively, any gear except park with A4+0rpm on engine side == neutral.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I once got my car into reverse by manual shifting up my car from 1st, and it did shut down!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Launching!

I'd say swap out your underdrive pulley for a stock one, or put in a overdrive alt. pulley, cause your computer needs proper voltage.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
I once got my car into reverse by manual shifting up my car from 1st, and it did shut down!
Thats what they do, note this only happens on A4s DO NOT attempt with a m6, you will break something in the transmission trying, and assuming you do succeed getting the shifter into the reverse gear at 70mph when you let go of the clutch one of two things will happen, either your clutch will get toasted very fast in a potentially exothermic manner or your engine will grenade from 25k RPM backwards. Either one I would not want to be in the car for.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Launching!

there is a block on reverse in an M6. when you are moving it will not let you shift to reverse unless you disable the block somehow.

but yea you do not want to go in reverse while at any forward speed let alone 70mph
Old 03-12-2007, 12:38 AM
9 Second Club

I plan on pulling the underdrive pulley on the crank, but i need the stock or equivelant bolts. Suprisingly i am running an overdrive pulley on the alternator also! i did however mis match a set of pulleys from fleabay. I got one steel crank pully by its self and an alluminum crank and steel alt pully. the aluminimun crank pully was not looking so good, pretty beat up so i use the two steel pullys. can i use the stock crank and the overdrive alternator pulley or will this rev my alternator to high?

Also could some please advise on how to do the "USUAL" checks in some detail?

I also just found out that i have an intake leak via a dumb move on my part by putting in a breather on the pass side valve cover.instead of what i mistook for a pcv valve being the fresh air supply line for the pcv. Not quite sure why i did that, was installing vete fuel rail covers and had that thing laying around so i capped the tb and put it in, didnt notice any drivability issues at that time cause my opti was toasted. That would cause my non wot throttle probs wouldnt it?
Old 03-12-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn even with my after market transmission i cant go into reverse? I was scared of doing that if i was ever upshifting and slipped is it in the PCM?... what about park? just break ur shell or whatever that damn things called

Quick Reply: Cruise controll hits revlimiter!!!!! Help