LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating

awhile ago my lt1 caprice started shooting coolant out of the resevoir cap, did the usual stuff (thermo,res. cap ) neither worked. Took it to a shop and was told I had a crack in my headgasket, they wanted to put some k&n block seal in for $200, so I did it myself. This fixed the coolant shoot prob, but it still gets hot. When it was cold out I could drive on highway fine and it would only start to rise in the city after about 30 min. now that it is warm it only takes about 7 min or so before it starts to head towards the red. Could it be that I had a worse hg prob than I thought or did the block seal clog up my cooling system. Radiator maybe? the car has 104k with the stock rad, waterpump replaced 1 1/2 years ago. Any ideas?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

just have the system flushed for around 50-60 bucks or so especially if you still have the stock rad. LT1s run hot no matter what, but when it overheats like that, you might have air in the system, flush it, it wouldn't hurt anything to see how much rust you get out of there.
The whole headgasket thing kinda rings a bell too but that's a whole different issue. R u sure you're not loosing coolant, pinhole or something?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WHat is that block seal stuff, how does that work??? Sounds to me like you should just replace the headgaskets. Not sure about the stuff you used but that could of blocked a water jacket and isnt allowing coolant through. A system flush is a good idea, had mine done a little while ago when my cooling system was messed up and it helped.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

A system flush would definitely not hurt. Also it could be something as simple as needing to bleed the air out of the system.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya im not a firm believer of putting "mechanic in a bottle" or head gasket repair in my car.. since ya ur gonna sludge, block and **** up ****
Old 03-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Teching In

well when I put the block seal in it said when I was finished to flush the system untill the water came out clear. And I did that. When I changed my heatercore last fall I had a hard time getting the heater hose at the firewall off so I had to cut it off. When I put it back on it doesn't sit on there flush, but I don't see any coolant leaking from that spot. Tried to get a new hose for it but both napa and autozone don't have the right one. They say they do put it don't look the same. Could I be having a problem there even though it has been few months?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Your fans, do they kick on when they suppose to?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Teching In

I think so, they came on when the needle was staright up and down, but they didn't help with the temp. Possible that the secondary is getting weak?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

if one of them at least work you souldn't have an overheat unless it comes on when it's too late to cool. If your fans work and you're not missing coolant and you flushed the system to get the air out the only other reason to cause overheating would be an internal engine issue in my opinion. Oh, hold on, how about the thrmo. did you check it, water pump? Thermostat is very cheap and it doesn't hurt to replace it once in a while, check your water pump make sure it's pumping coolant in there. Make sure one of the rad. hoses is hot and the other one is cold, that way you know coolant is entering and exiting the engine.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Teching In

New thermo was the second thing that I changed(3 to be exact, to make sure I had one that worked). Both of my rad hoses are hot,along with all the other hoses that go along with the coolant system. Internal engine issue sounds like a heartbreaker I sure hope it doesn't have one. What kind of issue do you think it might be? Oh, I did ask for the lt1 specific thermo because of the reverse cooling.

Quick Reply: overheating