LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Water pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water pump

I was tinkering around with my stock WP today cleaning it up abit and all for my new motor. I plan on going with a mezier EWP so i took off the cover and noticed that the gear inside did not spin to freely I am just wondering that when i go with an EWP that if i have to remove that stock gear or if i have to still use it. and if so does it sound like I will need to buy a new stock WP just to run an EWP
Old 03-19-2007, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
I was tinkering around with my stock WP today cleaning it up abit and all for my new motor. I plan on going with a mezier EWP so i took off the cover and noticed that the gear inside did not spin to freely I am just wondering that when i go with an EWP that if i have to remove that stock gear or if i have to still use it. and if so does it sound like I will need to buy a new stock WP just to run an EWP
No you use the base of the WP you have, the gear will come off, let me find you a write up and shoot the link to you here....BRB I'll find you something. Hardest thing you'll do is line up the 3 dimples to your WP base and dremel a little alum off once you mark it, no biggie.

Ok here you go chief, checked it out myself and it's a great writeup.
http://www.projecttransam.com/projects9.asp

for some other basics to start learning, getting ideas here is the main page.
http://www.projecttransam.com/projec...Type&Value=LT1

Last edited by -PEPE-; 03-19-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

THx for the help 1 thing is what size freeze plug should i use for the shaft and bearing coming from the block. After i remove it
Old 03-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Launching!

The pump should come with it.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
THx for the help 1 thing is what size freeze plug should i use for the shaft and bearing coming from the block. After i remove it
You don't plug the block, just the wp housing and the timing cover.

I don't know why the ewp manufacturers haven't included two freeze plugs instead of just one, but they really should. I bet if you called and asked they might just send you one. Or you can go to the hardware store and buy one for the timing cover. I used to large washers, a bolt and locking washer with some RTV for the timing cover and it works fine. There isn't a lot if any pressure against that spot, so it's not likely to leak. Just clearance everything properly for your timing chain.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 383LT1S10
The pump should come with it.
yeah your new EWP will come with one, easy install, just make sure you tap into a good ignition hot source on the relay box by the ABS (drivers side), you want the pump on when the key goes to the On position. Instructions should be in the box and also on the url I sentcha...
Old 03-20-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thx I see if i can find 1 my biggest concern was if I would leak out oil from the hole in the block that is used for the pump shaft and gear
Old 03-20-2007, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

i plan to weld mine shut on the pump and the timing cover not hard at all to do, its an option for ya

Quick Reply: Water pump