LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Overheats after shutting engine off ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Overheats after shutting engine off ??

After i shut off my motor and turn the key back on to be able to read the temp guage, It just keeps on climbing up to the 240+ range.
This cant be normal can it?
Anyone elses car do this?
As soon as i start it it drops back to the usual temp of 180 (still high for a 160 stat and lower fan temps???)

Car has always been this way since before mods. Actually bought it with a blown headgasket that was fixed at dealer under warrenty(70k miles).

I only decided to post about it today because temps actually got up over 200 while in stop and go for the first time since the stat and fan mods. I did have the air on and it was hotttt today almost 100 outside. When the air was off it went back to 180.

In the past i had to replace my heater core casue it was clogged, heat still is only barely warm with the new one. The heater lines must be clogged.

Car has new waterpump recently and has always had green coolant it in.

Should i be concerned?
Anyone else dealt with this or similar probs?

Please dont bash me and say do a search as i tried with no sucess.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is completely normal for you temp guage to rise when you engine is off because the coolant is no longer moving and it is still picking up residual heat from the engine and i do believe the temp guage in the head is the one that operates the temp guage on the dash so it makes sense mine does the same thing

before i had had my computer programmed to turn the fans on sooner i would see my temp guage go just a little shy of the red zone with the car off and the ignition on

as for your lack of heat from you heater problem check out the heater hose that i believe comes from the left side of the water pump (as your looking at the front of the car) that heater hose has a restrictor in it which could easily be plugged up so you could give that a try
Old 07-09-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

http://shbox.com/1/heater_hoses_93-94.jpg

number 13 in this pic i believe is the restrictor
Old 07-09-2007, 09:50 PM
9 Second Club

thanks for the picture
does that resistor come right out of the hose?
how is it held in? i dont remember seeing hose clamps there.

Is it necessary to have?
anyone running without one?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

the restrictor i've heard is in there to keep the flow to the heater core slowed down, so as not to "stress" the heater core too much

i havn't heard of anyone running without it, im sure it wouldn't be a problem maybe someone else will chime in
Old 07-09-2007, 11:06 PM
9 Second Club

1994Z28Lt1
thats a decent time for your setup....... ohhh wait.... what does other goodies mean?
and what tires and 60 did you get? just curious as i would be happy with that time with my almost full bolt on car
Old 07-10-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

other goodies doesn't mean much, 1.6 roller rockers probably being the biggest but things like air foil, good operating ignition (dynaspark distributor, msd wires) a tune from madz28.com minor suspension mods ( lca's)

that time on that day was kind of a fluke it was cool that day DA was right around 0 possibly even a little negative, slight tail wind, etc

at the time i was running BFgoodrich KDW's and i pretty much dead hooked i think my 60 ft was right around 2 flat not bad for an m6 car

my car was always a little bit of a factory freak it dynoed the numbers in the sig dead stock as in stock intake, stock exhaust, etc etc with about 70,000 miles i havn't dynoed it since the mods but i would expect around 310 at the wheels
Old 07-10-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1994Z28Lt1
it is completely normal for you temp guage to rise when you engine is off because the coolant is no longer moving and it is still picking up residual heat from the engine and i do believe the temp guage in the head is the one that operates the temp guage on the dash so it makes sense mine does the same thing

before i had had my computer programmed to turn the fans on sooner i would see my temp guage go just a little shy of the red zone with the car off and the ignition on

as for your lack of heat from you heater problem check out the heater hose that i believe comes from the left side of the water pump (as your looking at the front of the car) that heater hose has a restrictor in it which could easily be plugged up so you could give that a try
I agree that this makes compleet sense, I have seen it happen on other makes of cars with no issues
Old 07-10-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read this out of boredom and it seems I might have fixed my own heater now from doing so lol Mine doesn't work, but my car runs fine as far as temps go. So maybe my restrictor is plugged to. I'll have to take a look-see Thanks.

Yea 270hp is quite freakish for stock!

Quick Reply: Overheats after shutting engine off ??