LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Next mod...not sure what to do but I have an idea.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Next mod...not sure what to do but I have an idea.

I'm stuck on what to do next. I'm a full time student, and I work all the time, but I still never have much money to put into the car. I'll finally have 6 or 7 hundred to do a nice mod, and I want to see what you guys have to say. Car is my daily driver, although that doesn't matter much.

Only mods are a CAI, Hooker cat-back, and small things other than that. Car's an automatic. Doesn't get tracked much...maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

I think this mod should be something to make the car seem quicker in a straight line. Suspension, or a set of wheels/tires would be nice, but the car just feels too slow right now.

1. Gears. I would be going 3.73s, and the SOTP difference would be pretty impressive I'm guessing. I don't really see a downside to swapping, other than spending money that could be saved for a twelve bolt, but a 12 bolt or 9 inch is out of the question right now.

2. LT headers and TDs. I love the sound of a loud exhaust, especially an LT1. I'm guessing SOTP difference would be nice after this as well, but not as much as the gears. Not to mention seeing turndowns under the car would be bad-***

3. Stall. I'm not really considering this too much yet, but I figured I would throw it in here. With the LT1's low-end tq. and stock 2.73s in the car right now, I don't really think this would be worth it yet.

What would you guys start with? Am I missing anything else that I should consider?
Old 05-26-2007, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

longtubes, took 4 tenths off my quater mile.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Banned

I put a small 2500 stall in my car when I first got it. At that time it was the wifes daily driver and I enjoyed the way it felt. That stall was in the car for about 4-5 years and the car ran 12.30 with it after other changes. When I put the long tubes on the car gained about 6-7mph in the quarter. The car also receaved 4.10's about the same time the stall went in.
I don't know if that helps any. I would say stall first.

the car cut 1.70 60' times with the 2500 stall, 4.10's, and drag radials.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just really don't want to stall with the 2.73s in there. I would imagine it would feel like a slug.

I guess I'm really leaning towards the exhaust right now. I know all of my restriction is in my manifolds...When I put the cat-back on I didn't gain ****.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

The torque converter is a good choice but don't get it if you don't want to. It costs quite a bit, especially if someone else installs it. And based on experience, 2.73s with a 3200 stall didn't want to go into overdrive very much. The RPMs were too low for the converter when going into overdrive an it made a deep growl until the rpms went up.

So it's pretty much between gears or LT's. Gears will still make you seem sorta stock and could surprise a few people. It changes a lot how to car drives, therefore, it will feel like a new car again. It will cost you around $300 for a used carrier, gears, and installed. Of course LT's will give you the sound and power. It's good to get it out of the way because they will be useful with other mods. However, I wouldn't go true duals, or any other catback for that matter. Keep what you have and don't spend money on things you already have. That's something I regret. Plus, it gets pretty expensive that $700 might not cover. These are suggestions, the rest is up to you.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any work that I don't feel comfortable with (setting up gears, welding, etc.) can be done over a weekend with the help of my father since my school is only an hour from home. That saves quite a bit of money in installation of anything I buy.

If I do the gears, I'm going to get everything brand new from Thunder and keep my 2 series carrier.

As far as the exhaust, I'm not very happy with the Hooker cat-back. It was fine when I got it, but I want louder, quite a bit louder. I don't see any downside to duals really, and the Hooker can be sold. At this point, mocking up a TD setup and selling the Hooker will be slightly cheaper than buying a y-pipe and cutout to run with the Hooker.

Am I right in thinking that the gears will do more to redefine the car than anything else at this point? I really hate the fact that I can't do a decent burnout without the help of the brake. It just feels so slow from a dig.

Last edited by Rowdy94; 05-26-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well it changes things if you can do the work yourself. If your dad can bend tubing and weld, then all you have to buy is piping and resonators/mufflers for TD's.
And yes, gears change the car a lot. I had the same stuff as you. I seriously could not spin the tires with 2.73s unless I used the brake, even with LT's, catback, and CAI! I also had the hooker catback and it was too mellow for me. That's why I went loudmouth.

It might be close, but if you do all the work yourself, you could get gears and full exhaust with the money you have.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think that might be my best bet. Just try to do the exhaust first as cheap as i can, then maybe look for a 3 series carrier loaded with stock 3.42s like you have.

How do those feel by the way? I'm trying to envision how much of a change they are from what I have now...How far are you able to spin without using any brake?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

You should be able to get them to spin for a little bit..
Old 05-26-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Humm, about the 3.42s. Well it feels better from a dig since your running through the gear quicker. 2.73s would go to about 50mph in 1st and the 3.42s will go to about 40mph. I never had the 3.42s without my 3200 stall, so it's not too great of a comparison. But, even with 2.73s and the 3200, I was spinning from a stop. Not too much though. Currently, I can roast 1st if I keep it hammered and it will grab in 2nd gear (with Nitto 555R's).
Old 05-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Launching!

get headers its worth it just for the sound.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:14 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just do a Longtube/ORY setup and save the money on setting up duals.

The catback you have now (hooker) is going to sound much much better once the stock manifolds are gone. And if you want loud loud, just get yourself a $30 Manual cutout and be done with that.

Good Luck

Tony.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you can get help installing gears then do 3.73s just by the ones for the 2-series carrier they are like 10$ more. and also do LTs with 600-700 you can do both especially if you install yourself. pacesetter headers are about 280. hookers are 450. gears run about 180 plus another 100 for install kit.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95greenZ
get headers its worth it just for the sound.
That's the exact reason I want to go TDs. Not to mention, I'll pick up quite a bit of power all through the RPM range.

And yes, I can spin from a dig now from anywhere I choose, but it's damn near embarrassing when all I can muster is a second and a half of screeching. The really sad part is that I can only conjure up some tire smoke by letting off the break when the revs hit 3K or so.

Ehh, if only money grew on trees, or I wasn't a full-time student, or I had a better job, or....
Old 05-27-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Speed Density
I would just do a Longtube/ORY setup and save the money on setting up duals.

The catback you have now (hooker) is going to sound much much better once the stock manifolds are gone. And if you want loud loud, just get yourself a $30 Manual cutout and be done with that.

Good Luck

Tony.

Is there any other reason you suggest staying with an ORY/catback setup Tony? The cost for me is slightly in favor of doing the duals and selling the catback. I DO want loud, but I want as refined of a loud as possible. I've heard both kinds of setups on LT1 cars, and I just fell in love with the Moroso TD setup.

Ground clearance is the only issue I can think of, and maybe cop presence. But, TD setups can be tucked as well or better than an ORY setup, and I shouldn't have a problem with the police here.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually an ORY setup can be tucked better than TD believe it or not, and with a TD setup you may not get all the power outta it that you want, and ORY would be more than enough for your current setup.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Banned

With the limited space for duals I wish I would have just done the offroad y pipe with a cut out. I went with bullet mufflers to save space and they are just to loud. I lost groud clearence and since I've been trailoring the car to the track that is a problem.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I wouldn't ever run duals on a 4th gen. They are WAY too loud to realistically drive anywhere because you cant use anything but bullets. And if you use anything else in the way of mufflers, you will have terrible ground clearance. After being in cars with true duals, I will never believe another person that says they are daily drivable.

Don't spend that money on gears either. It's just not worth it to mess around with a 10 bolt. A good friend of mine has right at a grand in his 10 bolt just trying to get 3.73s work (its a very long story).

I would honestly either use that money on a set of long tubes and ory (I got my coated pacesetters and ory from byunspeed for 500 shipped), or just continue saving for some sort of aftermarket rear if you REALLY want gears that bad.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

^^ im with him. granted my car isn't a 4th gen but it is an lt1. i have hooker lts into dual cutouts and dual 40 series. i keep the cutouts open when i drive and it is NOT practical. i can only imagine that a true dual system or a bullet system would be similarily loud.

my opinion if it matters: go the header route maybe get a shift kit or a tune on top of that. the headers, no matter what, will always be practical (unless you go turbo later on...but with the $$$ invovled in that whats an extra 400-500?). it'll sound better through the cat-back and it will help you spin a little more lol.

i've noticed the following...when your building a fast car that you want to last, bulletproof the car starting from the back forward.

sorry if i jump all over the place!
Old 05-27-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
I wouldn't ever run duals on a 4th gen. They are WAY too loud to realistically drive anywhere because you cant use anything but bullets. And if you use anything else in the way of mufflers, you will have terrible ground clearance. After being in cars with true duals, I will never believe another person that says they are daily drivable.

Don't spend that money on gears either. It's just not worth it to mess around with a 10 bolt. A good friend of mine has right at a grand in his 10 bolt just trying to get 3.73s work (its a very long story).

I would honestly either use that money on a set of long tubes and ory (I got my coated pacesetters and ory from byunspeed for 500 shipped), or just continue saving for some sort of aftermarket rear if you REALLY want gears that bad.
It's true you shouldn't dump money into the 10 bolt, but that doesn't mean you can't still mess with it. Just don't buy a brand new carrier and top of the line gears because it's most likely going to grenade a month down the road if your hard on it. I would recommend getting a stock carrier and used gears. I believe I spent $50 shipped for a stock 3 series carrier and stock 3.42s.

True duals are not that crazy loud. It's all a personal opinion. Some people will say hooker is loud, others will say they can't hear it. My buddy has LT's, no cats, and loudmouth, but it's tolerable for me. The only downside to TD's is ground clearance.

Quick Reply: Next mod...not sure what to do but I have an idea.