LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD Opti vs. GM opti

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Opti vs. GM opti

Hey guys will a msd pro billet be just as good as a new opti from the gm dealer. I've heard that the MSD is a 2 piece unit while the stock unit is a 3 piece. Any of you guys pleased with the MSD?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

you should try a search here and on camaroz28.com on this subject, few have tried the cap/rotors succesfully, very few have the full billet units, I read somewhere on here the guy thought it was getting too hot (billet alum) and was causing problems, not sure he worked it out or not.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

i would take the MSD opti over the GM opti anyday. it is better constructed. It offers things that the gm opti doesnt. a little bit of timing adjustment, billet case, better sealing. better materials used in construction.
tip- i dont know if they have fixed this yet....but you may want to check if you buy the MSD. Take the cap off, and make sure the rotor screws are lock-tighted so they dont come out. i had that problemand it took me 2 months to figure it out. i also bought my opti when they first came out, so i didnt know about the screws. but just take that into consideration.

My opinion, buy the MSD...its better built. and it can stand higher RPMs better. and if it breaks within the 1st year they give you a new one or fix the old one.

clarification....yes i do have an MSD opti. i have went through many GM optis, and i am very happy with this one
Old 05-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gm is the best..ive had problems with a bunch of others spinning them too high and the rotors comming apart...
Old 05-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

+1 for the MSD.

GM opti doesn't compare. The wire harness is already built into the opti also so you don't have to worry about getting debris or any water corrosion on the plug.
Plus the extra screws to keep water out helps a lot and the optical pickup is superior.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

GM is not the best... get a Dynaspark and don't worry about it.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

what in the world is a dynaspark for lt1?
Old 05-30-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redchevcam
what in the world is a dynaspark for lt1?
Dynaspark is a company that makes an aftermarket optispark, they are a bit expensive but easily worth the money. Search dynaspark on the web, you will find the site. I've had no problems with mine and have almost had it for two years.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went through 3 GM opti in 4 months, I bought the MSB pro billet opti and have yet to have a problem with it yet. That was about 8 moths ago
Old 05-30-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

here read my sticky over at ls1lt1

http://www.???????????/forum/showthread.php?t=9367

go to the lt1 section

stupid link isnt working

just go over there and its on top
Old 05-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Here is a link to the dynaspark
http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...vid=4&pcid=263
Old 05-30-2007, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Most of the responses here have been made by people who don't know what is MARKETING and what is reality.

The whole MSD opti is a quality piece as is the stocker. The whole MSD opti has a few extra "features" that are useful only to the most advanced users and frankly open most novices up to self induced problems.

IMO an MSD cap and rotor on a stock base is an excellent choice for almost everyone here. What do I know though I just THINK and PLAN and UNDERSTAND things rather than reading magazines and marketing BS and throwing money at the car.
When someone says something is great demand DETAILS of how and why.
For example redchevycam says
"My opinion, buy the MSD...its better built. and it can stand higher RPMs better. and if it breaks within the 1st year they give you a new one or fix the old one."

REALITY is the only part of the stock opti that is rpm challenged is the rotor. MSD offers the cap and rotor as a kit you can put on your stock opti base, so there the supposed rpm benifit of the $500 billet opti can be had for $150 for the cap and rotor on your base. He says it seals better, well it does have an extra screw to help the cap seal better but again this benifit is gotten with the $150 cap and rotor kit.

Everybody loves to hate the opti but there are a lot of them that go beyond 100K miles without any service and then when the WEAR items like the cap and rotor wear out and act up ignorant fools get on the internet and blame a good part that was just worn out when the real problem was they left it go till it completely wore out.

Also pay attention to who you get info from, going to be further ahead listening to the guys with fast cars who are willing to share their sucesses AND MISTAKES than you will listening to the kid who makes excuses for why he doesn't have track times yet but "it will run 10s" . There are more of the latter here.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Well today i ordered the the MSD opti...it was like 50 bucks cheaper than a GM one. I havent checked but has anyone showed how to take out and put in an opti cause ill gladly take some pics and post 'em if anyone wants to know step by step because everyone was saying how it was a PITA to put in and take out buy it only took me about an hour taking my time to take it out...i dont think it was too bad for my first time.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

cheaper? are you sure you didnt buy the cap and rotor? the new MSD is a little more expensive than the GM. the cap and rotor is cheaper. you might wanna double check, unless you bought it used or something.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Most of the responses here have been made by people who don't know what is MARKETING and what is reality.

The whole MSD opti is a quality piece as is the stocker. The whole MSD opti has a few extra "features" that are useful only to the most advanced users and frankly open most novices up to self induced problems.

IMO an MSD cap and rotor on a stock base is an excellent choice for almost everyone here. What do I know though I just THINK and PLAN and UNDERSTAND things rather than reading magazines and marketing BS and throwing money at the car.
When someone says something is great demand DETAILS of how and why.
For example redchevycam says
"My opinion, buy the MSD...its better built. and it can stand higher RPMs better. and if it breaks within the 1st year they give you a new one or fix the old one."

REALITY is the only part of the stock opti that is rpm challenged is the rotor. MSD offers the cap and rotor as a kit you can put on your stock opti base, so there the supposed rpm benifit of the $500 billet opti can be had for $150 for the cap and rotor on your base. He says it seals better, well it does have an extra screw to help the cap seal better but again this benifit is gotten with the $150 cap and rotor kit.

Everybody loves to hate the opti but there are a lot of them that go beyond 100K miles without any service and then when the WEAR items like the cap and rotor wear out and act up ignorant fools get on the internet and blame a good part that was just worn out when the real problem was they left it go till it completely wore out.

Also pay attention to who you get info from, going to be further ahead listening to the guys with fast cars who are willing to share their sucesses AND MISTAKES than you will listening to the kid who makes excuses for why he doesn't have track times yet but "it will run 10s" . There are more of the latter here.
ok, i have a HUGE problem here. for one, im not a novice. i resent that.
two, i havent gone off of ANY magazine articles or publishings. everything i know is what i have learned on my own. Ill change my current statement. The MSD optispark IS better than the GM optispark. It seals better, PROVEN. No, the cap and rotor DO NOT offer the equivilant sealing that the MSD optispark unit offers. One....The harness is built in and SEALED with the optispark, something that is not an upgrade you can get with the cap and rotor. Two...extra screw in the right place. yes it makes a differance...not a hugh one, but it isnt pointless. Yes, some stock optisparks have gone 100000 miles without a problem....mine went 120000 without a problem. Heres the deal....the replacement opti is what starts the snowball. Along with waterpump replacement and various other things that can happen with an opti swap. Now i think you and me both know, it is a Horrible and yet awesome and genious design at the same time, but who makes the better product of the two? MSD for sure. I havent ever tried a Dynaspark, so i cant speak for that. So while you are THINKING, PLANNING, and UNDERSTANDING, i will be DOING, SUCCEEDING, and posting what i KNOW

another thing is, the cap and rotor are not the only thing that goes bad. the optical lense goes bad, then you will have to buy a new one anyways. or maybe you install a cam and the pin is too long. then it presses against the opti....yes a very bonehead move, but it does happen and cause problems

also, the kid who makes mistakes, is the one who learns. im sorry, i just cant get enough here. but making mistakes is the only way you learn. im sorry, i am a do-er. i am not scared to try something new. the only thing i ever read about the MSD optispark is the release date when it came out. i tried the cap and rotor....didnt make a differance. so i bought the Opti, and i love it. and dude. dont get me wrong, im not trying to make an enemy here. in fact, i like that our point of views differ, because it makes me rethink what i know. so dont get mad and repost something in your defense. im not trying to "beat you" alright?

Last edited by redchevcam; 05-30-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Well i bought the whole assembly for $559 and i ordered it through autozone.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

cool. how is that cheaper than the GM opti tho? the ones i always got from gm were like....under 300 bucks, but again....i was using my dealer discount
Old 05-30-2007, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by F8L LT1 Z28
i just took a look at the dynaspark opti. i like what i see. looks like alot of the stuff MSD has done too. i havent read the tech about it, but looks like another great alternative.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Well i quoted the opti from a dealer near me and for the whole assembly it was like 570 bucks plus tax. I got the whole MSD assembly through Autozone (but it took the dumbasses about 15 mins to find which one i was talkin about. They kept bring up the 95-97 one ) for 559 with tax. If anyone also needs some pic's for the install shoot me a message ill be glad to help any way possible.

Last edited by LT1Drew; 05-30-2007 at 11:34 PM. Reason: whoops
Old 05-30-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought my MSD opti off of Ebay for 400 dollars, brand spanking new, if you would have looked you might have gotten a better deal than AZ gave you.

for example Summit: $515.95 ($9.95 s/h)
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Anyways you will be happy with it. no matter what anybody says its a more thought out product than the replacement GM piece.

Even though it only might have additional "features" those make a huge difference.

Quick Reply: MSD Opti vs. GM opti