LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 intakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 intakes

i got a 96 z and was wondering if the lt4 intake was the way to go or if there are any others out there?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Edelbrock finally makes one, and it's much better than a stock LT4, or ported for that matter.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't consider doing an intake swap unless it was for a single plane conversion. Edelbrock makes a Victor EFI intake that has the injector bungs cast into it, (still have to drill for the LT1 bolt pattern), or www.intakeelbows.com does the welding/fabrication service on any SBC intake for $200:

http://www.intakeelbows.com/eficonversion.htm
Old 06-07-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

So that above intake, minus the intake cost, is only $200? So basically $445? (24502592 part# for that intake $245, which is already the LT1 carb intake)
Old 06-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Edelbrock is not much better if any.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Imnotfast
Edelbrock is not much better if any.
We don't know that yet. Lloyd Elliot got one from one of the guys here, and he said that stock, the Edel is the same porting as what his high end LT4 is, but the Edel still has metal to grind off to make it larger. That, and he said the runners are a tad longer, and meet the plenum much better. So yea, the Edel LT1 is quite a bit better. Unless you don't consider a heavily worked on LT4 intake good. Or you're comparing it to custom sheet metal intakes.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula350
So that above intake, minus the intake cost, is only $200? So basically $445? (24502592 part# for that intake $245, which is already the LT1 carb intake)
You still need a fuel rail kit, which is like $80 from Edelbrock.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...?part=edl-3631

Or you could skip the intakeelbows idea and buy the Edelbrock Victor EFI intake for $299 and just drill for the LT1 bolt pattern yourself:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...part=edl-29135
Old 06-07-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think the edelbrock intake is a good choice,after seeing one it's much better than a stock intake.It has to be at least 10hp better than stock,so if ls1 guy's can spend $1000 on a intake that gives them 20hp the edelbrock is worth $400.I think there is more to be had from porting the edelbrock.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Teching In

so your saying this will fit on my 96 lt1? just making sure
Old 06-07-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Haunted
so your saying this will fit on my 96 lt1? just making sure
Was that question for me? If you're referring to the intake in the picture above with the bowtie on the front, then yes, that's a direct bolt on. But that's also a dual plane intake. I honestly couldn't tell you how it performs in an efi setup because I haven't seen anyone run one that way yet. What most of the Big Dawgs run are converted single planes like the Edelbrock intake I linked. They're a proven power adder.

If you decide to buy an Edelbrock Airgap LT4 intake, bear in mind that you're pretty much going to be a guinea pig, because they're a brand new intake that not many have run yet and there doesn't seem to be too much info about whether or not they're an improvement over the stock intake. So if you feel like rolling the dice, go for it.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Teching In

so that linked intake; I could send that to be converted to fit my application?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Haunted
so that linked intake; I could send that to be converted to fit my application?
Yep.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Teching In

niceeeeeeeee. Thanks alot, I'll prolly try that setup out
Old 06-07-2007, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The stock LT4 intake was internally the same as the LT1 intake.
GIZMO was good enough to post this pic some time ago. http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...1/DCP_1456.jpg
The extra material above the ports would stop it from bolting to LT1 heads anyway, and besides like I said internally they are the same so there is no performance benifit.

The Edelbrock stuff is pretty well UNTESTED I know of one guy who posted dyno numbers and was on a modified motor. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....6&postcount=32

Tell you what that small gain on a motor that modified is nothing to be impressed with for $400. Now this guy is smarter than most here and says this was a different dyno on a different day which can make a HUGE difference either way.

The LT1 in NOT like gen 1 or gen 3 motors which respond quite well to intake swaps even when stock. The bone stock LT1 intake suits the motor very well and despite what you will read here keeps working well even on modified motors. I am guessing your car is pretty stock, if so put this idea WAY at the bottom of your wish list.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Formula350
We don't know that yet. Lloyd Elliot got one from one of the guys here, and he said that stock, the Edel is the same porting as what his high end LT4 is, but the Edel still has metal to grind off to make it larger. That, and he said the runners are a tad longer, and meet the plenum much better. So yea, the Edel LT1 is quite a bit better. Unless you don't consider a heavily worked on LT4 intake good. Or you're comparing it to custom sheet metal intakes.
Compairing out of the box. First the Edel does not have the same porting as Mr Elliots Ported LT4 (great uint). Saying that if you put the same money in to the LT1 intake as buying a Edel and having it ported the stocker will still be better.

Any good dyno will be with in 3% of any other dyno. People running around saying from one good dyno to the next good dyno can be way off is just wrong. Yes I have MANY years working on building and running just about every kind ever made. Can take any engine out of one cell and install it in any ove of the other 54 cells and will see an avg of 1.5% change.

Last edited by Imnotfast; 06-07-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

You might have joined before me, but I've been around the LT1 section quite a lot more. I know about Blacks dyno run, and if you re-read his post, you'll see that they botched it pretty well. Being a different brand dyno, we could be looking at a difference of -15 to +15HP and TQ. Even you said that. 3% on a fully stock motor is 8hp, but I'm willing to bet you'll see more like a 5% change between dynos. I don't consider 5%, or 15hp to be way off. 40hp, that's being ridiculous. (Not that anyones said that). So with that said,you can't look at those and say "The Edel sucks because look at these dyno numbers." Even Black said to take those results with a grain of salt. I sure do.

Lloyd said those things HIMSELF about the Edel vs HIS LT4 porting jobs. So don't yell at me for what he said. If you look at the pics (which I saw long ago when they were first posted), you'll see the gap where the top of the runner is, where the injector inserts, is much smoother. It isn't such an extreme angle, even if you take into account the angle of the picture.

I don't know if you have a thorn in your side from Edelbrock, but I can't bash them that much to say their intake is worthless. I sure wouldn't spend the time and money on research and materials to make something just to have it suck. They know we're not idiots, we're going to research our parts and make sure they're worth it. Making it have more metal isn't enough to deem something a worthwhile upgrade, which is why they put the time into making some of the internals a bit better to flow more and have a bit bigger plenum volume.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think the edel is better.If you look at the pic's,the ports angle to the front.The stock intake is like a 90* at some point the air wont make the turn.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Sorry if you took what i said as yelling.
As for being around LTx's not sure of to many people been around them longer then me. Still remember seeing the first on back in 1988.
As for dyno to dyno brands in the 54 cells we have Froude's, AVL, Stuska, and GE. Just looked up a run from a Froude cell to a GE cell and see 1.783 Lbft torque avg differant. The runs are 3 weeks apart.

The Edel does look nice and believe they filled a gap needed but could be better. The .25 longer runner helps but really could have been a little longer to get more of the 4 order helping scavage.

Thats just just my 2cents
Old 06-08-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

I assume the 4 you listed are the people who make the internals? Or are they the brand names? If so, Black ran on a different one than those. The first one was Dynojet and the second I think was Mustang (? god that doesn't sound right, he mentioned it in a diff thread.)

As for being around LT1s, I meant here in this forum, not in real life. I just have seen whats gone on in multiple threads that link to other threads where some of the info is scattered, but related. There's about 3 or 4 different Edel related threads.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Mustang and Dynojets are good tuner dynos. The ones I am talking about are more of the higher end setup. I believe but you guys would know better the cost of a mustang roller dyne is around 100K for the set up. The AVL one at work was 11million that included a windtunnel.

Like you I want to see sone real numbers that can be backed up. Was thinking about getting one and set it up on my personal engine dyno but to be honest its really no reason to spend 450+ on it right now.

Quick Reply: LT1 intakes