LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Msd pro billet option with Delteq

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Msd pro billet option with Delteq

After seeing a lot of problem with the pro billet i ve been thinking of what to do with it since i already got one that die on me with less than 60mile on it.Also i will only using it has a cam sensor for the Delteq.

I wanna solve the rubbing problem between the rotor and the black back plate so here is what i thought:

Just clic ont the pics to see them in bigger size.

Pro billet fully assembled:

Without the distributor cap:

Without the cap/rotor and the black back plate:

Everyting off including the metal back plate:

Naked closeup:

Here is my question:Can i run the pro billet without all these parts(cap/rotor/black plastic back plate and the metal back plate)???

The disc is held in place by the big center clip on the pro billet but i would also cut the rotor screw to hold the disc(since they are too tall) and put my Delteq billet opti cover with either the "o" ring or a some rtv on it and call it a day.This way nothing would ever rub in it...

Look like this:
Old 06-11-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did something similar to mine only I left the black and aluminum shielding in because without the rotor, there was no issue with anything rubbing anymore.

The optical disk is rather thin and flimsy. I was concerned that at low rpm's, without that broader clamping force that the rotor provides being there, there would be a potential problem with the disk "fluttering" and rubbing the optical sensor. So I just cut the rotor down to the base and reinstalled it to keep the optical wheel fully stabilized.

I suppose that whether you took the rest of the inner shielding out or just left it in really wouldn't make much of a difference either way.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool my buddy is a machinist that can do me a center plate instead of cutting the rotor.

But you did the same thing that i want to do.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2007, 01:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

what are you guys using instead of the cap and rotor
i have the delteq and the msd pro billet but have yet to modify my msd
i still have a slight issue but only at low rpms slight hesitation from stop and feels like an occasional miss at idle in drive only when stopped,
mid range and top end are great... the rest of the ingniton is in my sig
and are your setups working good?
Old 06-13-2007, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by i420tom
what are you guys using instead of the cap and rotor
i have the delteq and the msd pro billet but have yet to modify my msd
i still have a slight issue but only at low rpms slight hesitation from stop and feels like an occasional miss at idle in drive only when stopped,
mid range and top end are great... the rest of the ingniton is in my sig
and are your setups working good?

Im using a machined billet aluminium spacer/shim to cancel the rotor.For the cap i use the billet distributor cover from DELTEQ but you could still use the msd cap itself.

By the way i got the same little problem that you got here: still have a slight issue but only at low rpms slight hesitation from stop and feels like an occasional miss at idle in drive only when stopped,
Old 06-13-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

From the pics in the original post I can see clearly that the o-ring on the pro-billet was not installed correctly thats the reason for the rotor clearance issue, but looks like you have a good solution, but install the o-ring correctly and you will have a functioning opti, that is if you didnt fry it
Old 06-13-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by always faster
Cool my buddy is a machinist that can do me a center plate instead of cutting the rotor.
Any chance you could talk your buddy into making two of those? Any time I can replace a plastic part with a metal one, I'm on it. Probably wouldn't make a huge difference, but it'd at least let me sleep better at night.

If it can be done, could you please PM me a price?
Old 06-13-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
From the pics in the original post I can see clearly that the o-ring on the pro-billet was not installed correctly thats the reason for the rotor clearance issue, but looks like you have a good solution, but install the o-ring correctly and you will have a functioning opti, that is if you didnt fry it
I ve talk to a tech guy at MSD and even with the "o"ring correctly placed,like mine,it will still slip under the cap because there is a problem with it.Thats why now msd pro billet now come with a square standard gasket

They gave me a new one
Old 06-13-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Any chance you could talk your buddy into making two of those? Any time I can replace a plastic part with a metal one, I'm on it. Probably wouldn't make a huge difference, but it'd at least let me sleep better at night.

If it can be done, could you please PM me a price?
I ll check this out.The pieces is made from billet aluminium bar
Old 06-13-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
I did something similar to mine only I left the black and aluminum shielding in because without the rotor, there was no issue with anything rubbing anymore.

The optical disk is rather thin and flimsy. I was concerned that at low rpm's, without that broader clamping force that the rotor provides being there, there would be a potential problem with the disk "fluttering" and rubbing the optical sensor. So I just cut the rotor down to the base and reinstalled it to keep the optical wheel fully stabilized.

I suppose that whether you took the rest of the inner shielding out or just left it in really wouldn't make much of a difference either way.
By the way if you dont install this center pieces the disc will float and rub on the optical sensor.

Quick Reply: Msd pro billet option with Delteq