LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Throttle Body Breather instead of Tube to VC

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Throttle Body Breather instead of Tube to VC

Does anyone have a breather that fits on the side of the throttle body, passenger side, to replace the tube that goes to the Valve Cover.
I know the PCV system will be affected, and I am not here to get 3rd degree on it.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the breather in the valve cover and cap off the port on the throttle body.

The only thing having a breather on the side of the throttle body will accomplish is allowing twice as much unmetered air into the engine. That's just begging for detonation.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Put the breather in the valve cover and cap off the port on the throttle body.

The only thing having a breather on the side of the throttle body will accomplish is allowing twice as much unmetered air into the engine. That's just begging for detonation.

What about for a SpeedDensity rig?
Old 06-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
I definitely agree with thesoundandthefury on this one... First hand experience: The formed-rubber hose going from the throttle body to the pass side valve cover on my car was split at the TB end allowing more air to enter the engine. Had a high RPM ping (too lean?) that went away immediately after I replaced the hose with a new one.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

this is a topic that gets different answers everytime but here goes. for the guys that say using a valve cover breather is the work of the devil, explain this to me. how can unmetered air getting into the motor hurt the air fuel ratio? SINCE the air coming in though the valve cover breather isn't going into the intake or combustion chamber.
that air should have nothing to do with air fuel ratio, unmetered or not. now with jb442 his hose having a crack in it. the throttle body side of the hose could have been pulling in unmetered air straight into the intake. thats a given but with it blocked off, it should have been fine. now if someone wants to tell me, and the people that agree with this view , why it is wrong please do so. you will need to explain how the air is getting into the chamber and intake and how much in quantity of air we are talking about.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jasonisdn
this is a topic that gets different answers everytime but here goes. for the guys that say using a valve cover breather is the work of the devil, explain this to me. how can unmetered air getting into the motor hurt the air fuel ratio? SINCE the air coming in though the valve cover breather isn't going into the intake or combustion chamber.
that air should have nothing to do with air fuel ratio, unmetered or not. now with jb442 his hose having a crack in it. the throttle body side of the hose could have been pulling in unmetered air straight into the intake. thats a given but with it blocked off, it should have been fine. now if someone wants to tell me, and the people that agree with this view , why it is wrong please do so. you will need to explain how the air is getting into the chamber and intake and how much in quantity of air we are talking about.

I agree with part of what you say, the rest I unno lol

Having the PCV system properly working or not, is still using the vacuum of the motor from the intake. That air is already metered. Blocking it off I can only imagine helping things since it's not drawing in vapor from the crank case. Just a little, sure, but I'm sure everything big or small effects the combustion. So installing a breather just removes the vacuum of the crank case.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

thats my view on it. i have a breather on both valve covers (proform covers for more room). i'll see if it causes any tuning issues by the start of next month.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

I have speed density. I can unplug the hose from the throttle body and no change in idle. I can remove the filler cap, and no change in idle. I can monitor the engine during driving, idle etc with a valve cover breather vice a oil filler cap, no changes. I just asked a simple question, can we please stop the third degree like I said in the original post please.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

i gave you a answer, kind of. proform makes different sizes, just go to advance auto parts or auto zone and pick though them. they make a few different caps and breathers for the different size holes.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put a cap on it.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Steve40th
I have speed density. I can unplug the hose from the throttle body and no change in idle. I can remove the filler cap, and no change in idle. I can monitor the engine during driving, idle etc with a valve cover breather vice a oil filler cap, no changes. I just asked a simple question, can we please stop the third degree like I said in the original post please.
You can ask for a simple answer to your simple question, but you'll never get it. For things that don't have a definitive answer, you're going to get a varying answers. If you don't like peoples answers, then do trial and error. Drive a tank with it off and plugged, see how it effects things. MPG, performance, idle, whatever.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Formula350
You can ask for a simple answer to your simple question, but you'll never get it. For things that don't have a definitive answer, you're going to get a varying answers. If you don't like peoples answers, then do trial and error. Drive a tank with it off and plugged, see how it effects things. MPG, performance, idle, whatever.
I have noticed the various answers within the board here, but then I get different ideas with it. I will try the filter at a parts store, then go from there. Many ideas, many results.
I drive 25 miles a week though, so results will take sometime.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did mine as well, if it makes you feel any better. Yes, I'm SD as well.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

I have run with a breather filter, and with a PCV tube.....didn't notice any difference between the two. Currently running the PCV, however. Not sure why, lol.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

Do you have a picture of yours? And what filter/breather did you use?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

Do you have a picture of yours? And what filter/breather did you use?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

I could go take a pic yea. It's a breather one of the previous owners used in my AIR pump. I just removed all that crap a week or two ago and remembered I had it after this thread. So I figured since my PCV valve doesn't stay in the grommet all that well, due to the stiff hose I have, I'd go remove it all. It's just a standard valve cover breather.

EDIT: OK Went and took pics (totally forgot). And yes, my camera's IQ sucks for stuff not a couple thousand feet away lol (Takes great outdoor pics!!)

Last edited by Formula350; 06-12-2007 at 03:34 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks. My breather is a little larger, and I guess I will go find a plug for the T Body or a air breather that is that small. The valve cover where the tube goes is a little different on the Vette as it is underneath the fuel rail covers, and will need something a little smaller to fit.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Steve, I made an error and must apologize. There is a port on the back side of the throttle body on the passenger's side, and I was mistakenly under the impression that it fed through to the upper port that connects to the fresh air hose. Turns out that the backside port actually feeds through to the lower EVAP hose connection. So here I was thinking that by putting a filter on the upper port, you'd be introducing a vacuum leak.

For the sake of simplicity, I still say to just cap it off, since a filter in that port wouldn't provide any useful function above and beyond what the one connected to the intake armature already does.

Once again, my apologies.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cap off the throttle body.

After driving mine again, it really makes a huge vacuum leak sound, but I know the TBody is corked up nice and tight. That's starter bolt and 1/4 of it is not threaded and seals up the hose very very well. It seriously sounds like my whole air cleaner assembly is not connected, and I know it all is. It's quite odd. Could it be from the crank case?

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Breather instead of Tube to VC