LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cant get rid of ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Default cant get rid of ticking noise

Just put a cam in and valvetrain. I adj. all my rockers to 0 lash and about a 1/10 preload when lifters were hot. Im still getting a ticking noise out of the pass. side. Drivers side is fine. I adj. them 3 times and there all pretty tight and no play. What else can it be?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im Having The Same Problem You Are..makes A Good Excuse To Buy A Cam And Redo The Valvetrain Thats What I Did.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

You could try and run some RISLONE ENGINE CLEANER I had a lifter tick ran it for a few hours and it was gone..... You can buy it at any autostore.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Roller rockers? Then that's why.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Yea your gonna get some ticking from RR's. You could still try some RISLONE, I always run it through my cars like 2 times a year.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:30 PM

stupid question are you running a high enough octain of fuel for your engine
Old 06-11-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

yea, i just put all new stuff on with my cam swap. There beehive springs and comp. pro mags. I know rockers make noise but this is a ticking from something. The drivers side is mint but not the pass. Im gonna keep checkin the rockers, seems like i always find a loose one even though i went throught them real good. My buddy said it could be a loud injector making noise but i feel them and i dont feel anything. With this noise im sure id feel something. But deff. sounds like its from under the valve cover.

And yes, i got Shell 93 in it.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a lazy lifter bleeding down.

Sara Lou
Old 06-12-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Veteran

well i went through them all again and found 2 more loose ones. Got them all tight now and still does it. Ran the car with the covers off and you can kinda hear it. Everything seems to look like its all working fine. My conclusion is its the side to side play in these damn things and with my aluminum covers its acting like a microphone and just making the sound louder.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
yea, i just put all new stuff on with my cam swap. There beehive springs and comp. pro mags. I know rockers make noise but this is a ticking from something. The drivers side is mint but not the pass. Im gonna keep checkin the rockers, seems like i always find a loose one even though i went throught them real good. My buddy said it could be a loud injector making noise but i feel them and i dont feel anything. With this noise im sure id feel something. But deff. sounds like its from under the valve cover.

And yes, i got Shell 93 in it.
Just for heads up, read up on the problems with those springs. I would at least recommend checking them often. I am assuming they are the 918's.

Other than what I have mentioned are you sure it is a valve train tick and not exhaust? I have been fooled before especially when the exhaust is loud on a car.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97LT1
Other than what I have mentioned are you sure it is a valve train tick and not exhaust? I have been fooled before especially when the exhaust is loud on a car.
i was about to say the same thing.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just for heads up, read up on the problems with those springs. I would at least recommend checking them often. I am assuming they are the 918's.
It was just a bad batch. The 918s are very good springs. Wouldn't hurt to check on them now and then to make sure yours weren't a part of that batch though. Chances are you will be fine.

What method are you using to adjust your rockers? There is only one method I really trust anymore due to a bad experience. I used the first method on Shoe Box's site and ended up leaving lash in one. This caused me to bend and break a pushrod and cost me a cam and a couple lifters as well.

This is the method I prefer... When the exhaust starts to open, adjust the intake. When the intake starts to close, adjust the exhaust. I do this with everything cold.

What method are you using?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

im using that same method and do them seperate. I know what your talking about the exhaust ticking, i was feeling everywhere for a leak and felt nothing. Any way i can check? Like a intake leak you can use propane and if the idle goes up then you found it, any thing like that to check for a header leak? I did pull off the pass. side header and reused the copper gasket but i assume that the copper would reseal with how soft it is. Or maby not and thats my problem.

And as for the rockers, seems like when i go back and feel the rockers if i wiggle them hard enough some will loosen up pretty good. So eaither there loose or something is going on the the lifters. But so far the car runs good just have that noise to figure out.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

Propane might be a good way to blow yourself up LOL. I'd use carb cleaner. If the idle drops or the car bogs slightly you sucked a little in. Safer than propane or starting fluid IMO.

You say copper gaskets, are you talking the thin ones I am thinking about, that would be used mainly for manifolds? If so it's probably leaking and that's the ticking you hear. Could be from the bottom side where you can't see or feel.

You're probably already aware of this but the rockers being slightly loose from side to side is nothing to worry about. Up and down is loose though.

What kind of lifters are you running?
Old 06-12-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

yea i seen side to side theres nothing you can do about it and this valvetrain is ususlly noisey. The copper gaskets are the ones that came with the headers.. there copper Fel-pros and they were not even that smashed when i took them out and still looked pretty new, but it could still be i know.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Try getting a heavy rag and putting it over the exhaust ports. Try each one by pushing down and covering gasket area. It will muffle the exhaust tick to isolate it. If not back to the rockers. You can also use a long screwdriver as a stehoscope and put tip on valve cover and handle in your ear. Do not laugh it is very accurate.

Those
Old 06-12-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fergymoto
It was just a bad batch. The 918s are very good springs. Wouldn't hurt to check on them now and then to make sure yours weren't a part of that batch though. Chances are you will be fine.

What method are you using to adjust your rockers? There is only one method I really trust anymore due to a bad experience. I used the first method on Shoe Box's site and ended up leaving lash in one. This caused me to bend and break a pushrod and cost me a cam and a couple lifters as well.

This is the method I prefer... When the exhaust starts to open, adjust the intake. When the intake starts to close, adjust the exhaust. I do this with everything cold.

What method are you using?

Exactly.....he just put them in. All I am saying is anybody within the last few months of dealing with or installing those springs should look into the problem.
Better safe than having a few hundred pound paper weight.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put a screwdriver to the rockers and then to your ear to see which one is making the most noise, or THE noise.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Veteran

ok, i replaced the header gasket. The copper one still looked new and had no black carbon blow-by. Still does it! And no matter how tight i put the rockers it still makes the same noise. Doesnt change a tone or nothing! WTF. Im getting aggervated aat this damn thing. What else can i look at or look for??? Could i have a screwed up lifter? What does a collapsed lifter sound like??

My valvetrain is:

918 springs w/ +.050 10deg locks and Ti retainers
7/16 arp studs
GMPP guideplates
1.6 comp. pro mag NSA rockers
7.2 comp. pushrods
stock lifters

:EDIT: I took the valvecover off and first thing i saw was green oil. I dunno what thats about but i did a oil change and used 4 valvoline 20-50 2 valvoline 10-40 and a 1/2 quart of my buddys pensoil 5-20 desighned for 2001 newer fords and hondas. So im assuming that tinted it green and not a head gasket. And second i found 2 more kinda loose rockers. Why the hell do they keep commin loose?

Last edited by Taubr Unit; 06-13-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

Have you ever used rockers with poly locks before? When adjusting them, are you loosening the center enough to allow it to not tough the stud while making your adjustment THEN tightening the center when you have your preload where you want it? If you are doing otherwise you may actually not be getting them tightened correctly. Follow?