LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 trans-am info......

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 94 trans-am info......

HI guys,

I have a 94 ta automatic. Here recently i was at the race track and come upon this guy that sayz he will rebuild my motor and give me a 12 second car on motor and an 11 second car on spray.

I am wondering how hard it is going to be to do that? he says bring him my car for a month and give him half down. He says no torque converter just something about a valve body i have no idea what that does but it is up to him.

I asked my dad about the guy and he says that he knows the guy and has some bad azz cars in his shop and is very trustworthy. Is there anything i should ask him to do specifically or install?

he said something about a very noticeable cam som im assuming he is going to use the stock heads for the amount of money he is asking. he custom grinds his own cams. DO i need somekind of chip? he didnt mention anything about tuning either.

Also can anyone give me examples of their horsepower and track times especially with an automatic. sorry for sounding so dumb but i used 2 be a mustang man still like em but it just aint no replacement for displacement. plus i love da t-tops .
Old 06-14-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, no offense, but you appear to not know very much about cars. If I'm wrong, my apologies!

It's quite easy to get 12s on all motor, and 11 on spray. It all depends what he's going to do/install and what he's going to charge. That on no stall is really good, and everyone here is going to scream "GET A STALL!", but I personally like how my car drives lol It seems like he's saying he would make it a manual valve body, so you shift it yourself, like a manual. Only difference is no clutch to deal with when shifting.

Yes, you'd need your car programed (Chips died as of 93 and cars get tuned from 94 on) as well as bigger injectors. You'd also want a few other things like a MSD Window Box if you plan to spray, which will let you reduce timing. To name a few...

Coming from a Mustang, you'll crap yer pants having an LT1
Old 06-14-2007, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can do "12s on motor and 11s on spray" with a bolt on car, no internal engine work necessary lol
Old 06-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Launching!

its not that i dont know much about cars. i actually know a lil bit, but being that every mustang i had has been a 5 spd it is kinda wierd going from a ford mustang 5spd to an pontiac ta automatic. I did it for alot of reasons but the main one was being tired of having to spray my mustang just 2 keep up with a stock or lightly modded ls1. I actually could beat a stock or lightly modded lt1 with no problems alot of the time tho i beat the driver not the car. I all in all wanted to swithch tho.

I love the t-tops and right now i really cant afford an ls1 powered car so i got a super good deal on a lt1 and am going to make the best of it. hey formula why did you say no stall? i thought that was one of the main things that gets you out of the whole multiplies torque???

I have seen 95% of the lt1's at the track her in temple texas run high 13's all day may have seen 1 or 2 bust a 13.2 or so. I dont want to be that one. 2 of my friends have mustang fox body's sprayin and running 12.6 and 12.4 all day long i want to be able to do that naturally aspirated. cuz they all rag on me for buying a pontiac.

Like i said earlier i still love mustangs but its just time for a change. plus there are just so many things you can do to that 5.7 and see your numbers drop in the 1/4 mile. The mustang to me is a lil more expensive performance wise and you really dont get that much of an decrease in times at the track. Sorry if i sounded a lil dumb but it is a big change and so far i love it. The car is all stock right now and pulls harder than my previous 2 mustangs. I am going to take the man my car in the next week or so. so my friends want be trynna race me while im stock and talk **** to me cuz they beat me....
Old 06-15-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, you'll have the last laugh. You can make 12's easily as said above. Some lucky people have hight 13 cars that are totally stock. If you want to spend some money, you can be in the 9s and 10s and REALLY have a laugh at your silly Mustang friends You seem to already know why he have little respect for them, since they talk trash when they don't know what they have (or, don't have in most cases). Tell them to race you w/o spray, what they have vs what you have. See how well they do.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Launching!

lol haha i would ask em to race me without spray but i used to kick they azz all the time when i had it and they didnt and next thing u know they come up with spray lol. but i am sure if i dont beat em without it it is going to be a close race lol. I got to say that i still respect em cuz u never know what the next man is packing under the hood but i would say 80% of em already know the deal when they run up on a lt1 or ls1 powered car. thanks for da help and one more ?. what is the biggest shot you think i could run with my bottom end stock like it is??
Old 06-15-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could actually get real close to 11s with just heads and cam with some suspension its just what you chose. a fully built motor should be in the 11s n/A without need for spray. just with my set-up and the heads/cam i plan to run i am looking at mid 11s with stall. a manual V-body is not what i would want in a street car its gets to be a pain really usually the only people that run those anymore are drag racers and guy will carb'd solid roller set-ups. going with a stall in an A4 isnt really that bad they are locking stalls so you really wont notice to much difference except on the track and at WOT walking your friends. I bet 3.73s in the back some nice LTs a C.A.I and a nice stall 3200 or so with a good tune and you would run 12s all day. Also a shift-kit like trans-go will let you shift the tranny the same way as a manual Valve body.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:47 AM
Launching!

ima ask the dude when i take him my car what he exactly plans on doing? I believe he is going to use stock heads. but the way he was talking he said just bring it to him and when i get it back it will not be the same car. im kinda of curious and it aint know way ima be driving the car not knowing whats dont to it. The car is my daily and still has to get halfway descent gas. I plan on putting a set of 373's in the azz end later. I have never paid any attention to lt1 cars until i got interested about a month in a half ago. I was thinking maybe a head cam package, cold air intake a good tune and i should be close to the 11's with a 150 shot. oh and some good sticky tires.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:52 AM
9 Second Club

I'd say build a motor...... do a 355 LT1 with a stock crank, 6" h-beam rods, SRP pistons (flattop) with compression around 11.75:1..... Get some ported and polished heads from damn near anyone on here with 2.0/1.56 valves (ie nothing special just good solid performance heads) and a manifold that's port matched to the heads.... This is of course assuming you get the right bolt ons like long tubes, good exhaust, throttle body AND A CONVERTER! Start with the bolt ons and work your way in. You live in texas right???

Put a nasty hydraulic roller cam in it.... something like the 230/236 or even better would be the 236/242 cam from Comp cams... This setup is good for 420+ RWHP and high 11's on some good tires all day long.... ON MOTOR. no nitrous required...... i know cuz this was my old engine setup.... 11.62@119 on motor and 10.40@131 on a 150 shot....

Or you can skip the entire motor part, put all the bolt ons on your car and get it running high to mid 12's.... then put a 150 shot plate system on it and run mid to low 11's..... and destroy every mustang you see....
Old 06-15-2007, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think the safe stock bottom end is 150shot. I THINK, from what I've seen around here, you can do 150 on even a stock motor with out much problem.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:28 AM
9 Second Club

I had a 150 shot on my stock motor for 3 years without so much as a hiccup....

NOS 5176 kit..... shorty headers, flowmaster catback with offroad pipe, gears, ET streets, good clutch, CAI, coil, MSD 6A.....

11.40@122 was the best and the valve covers had never been off the car. stock TB too.... they are amazingly durable motors if your system is well thought out and you're obsessive compulsive and check EVERYTHING before you run it...
Old 06-15-2007, 04:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Well I'm gonna have to disagree with some in this thread and say that a stall is the BEST mod you can do for an auto.