LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

AHH SMOKE START! i need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **UPDATE w/ pics**AHH SMOKE START! i need help

So i have a 96 lt1.. a great day went crusin and such put her in the garage to wax her... at midnight go to start her ... i get nothing.. i try a few times nothing checked the voltage, its fine... I hold the ignition on start a lil longer and i got a hissing sound from somewhere by the passenger side.. and smoke started to rise through the dash.... I need some advice!

Thanks guys

Jaron

NEW***********************************

Well this morning i was off and had sunlight! i pulled of the glove box and smelled around... The circle deal as seen in the pictures smells like it was the thing burning.. i played with it, and guess what the car started right up!!!! can i ask what is this so i can buy a new one!

Well since you guys are the best heres some pics after 3 coats of zanos 2 and 5** im working on at least 2 more coats today!

Last edited by Jaronk56; 07-03-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

sounds like something electrical is jacked. what did the smoke smell like?
Old 07-02-2007, 02:08 AM
On The Tree

I have a feeling the relay switch that actually sends power to the start burned up. it is located dead center of the dash, rigth next to the main ventilation. if you follow the center console up under the dash....keep going past the carpet, up along the actual metal of the fire wall you will see a box.

that would be more than likely what had burned up. if that gets hot, more than likely the wires were shorted as well. if you touch the rubber coating of the wire and it feels oily....you have major problems. more than liely you need a new dash harness. kinda of funny I have one. let me know if you have com to this same conclusion. you could have it for 50.00. it disconnects on the far right side of the dash.

bypass the systme, and see if the starter still works......... hope all goes well. check your connectors for some water as well. may have shorted wires down by the pcm in the engine bay while you were washing ti as well. .....just a possibility.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Thanks GTP alot i will update you in the morning of my findings
Old 07-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Teching In

to get to that box do i have to take the dash apart? anyways i did a lil more poking around and found that the thick yellow wire under the steering column got extremely hot when trying to crank.... any ideas??
Old 07-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Teching In

updated
Old 07-03-2007, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

You have something Grounding out somewhere, and your Ignition Switch is probably taking the hit..
That Circle thing there in your pic is a Vacumm actuated Piston that open the Re-Circ for the AC System. I know that about it cause I removed mine.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Teching In

ORLY well the smell is coming somewhere over in that area..... and after wiggling wires its fine..... another ideas to check in this vicinity??? none of the wires are greasy either thank god!