LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Replacing igntion with Dynaspark and MSD! Anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Replacing igntion with Dynaspark and MSD! Anything else?

Well I decided on replacing the opti again with the Dynaspark! I picked it over the cheaper MSD opti because it is proven and I don't want to end up with a broken MSD like some people have. I'd rather spend the extra $100 and do it right! I'll also be doing the work myself with the help of a friend with a 3rd gen T/A and LS1 T/A so he kinda has an idea what he is getting into. I on the other hand have never done any of this. So any help is appreciated with doing plugs or opti.

Here is the plan:
-Dynaspark for 94 LT1
-NGK TR55 plugs
-Spark plug wires (Either MSD's in stock location or OTVC kit from Thunder Racing)
-MSD Blaster coil
-Misc. gaskets

Does the Dynaspark need to be spliced into any harnesses or is it truly plug and play? What wires do you think I should do? I know some say the OTVC is easier and better but are they? I think the MSD would work because I'm gonna replace the accessory bracket while I'm in there because my stock one is cracked so it will be outta the way while I route wires. Also will probably make it easier to do the plugs too! I do have Mac mids on the car but the Y pipe is welded on so that may be a problem. I also will be doing the cooling mod for the coil. I saw the write up on shoe boxes site. And lastly will I need any special tools for the spark plugs that will make it easier? I hear its a PIA! I tried looking for the guy on ebay that sold the cut down socket and AC Delco gearwrench but I couldn't find the item. Am I forgetting anything else or other maintenance?
Old 07-02-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The Dynaspark plugs in like a stock opti, No splicing or mods. Has been working great in my Forced Induction 648 RWHP Z..
Old 07-02-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Cool! So it was an easy installation?
Old 07-02-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

advance makes a kit with a whole set of sockets that are less then the single spark plug socket, and does the exact same thing.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my MSD 8.5 wires. Custom fit, go right into the stock wiring looms.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

From what I read everyone has trouble with the MSD's fitting in the stock looms which is why I'm considering the OTVC kit from Thunder.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the Thunder Kit is cut to fit. Does anyone carry an already made OTVC set of wires? In my experience (might not be the case with everybody), those Taylor 90* boots are a bitch to get on the wire. I'd really hate to do it 9 times.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

I have the Dynaspark on my car now and I love it. I had the same one on my '93 and now its on my '94. Yes the Dyna spark is truely plug and play. I personally like the way the OTVC wires look which is why I have them. I have also had MSD wires dry out on me 10 miles after putting them on so they arked off my headers and caused a miss so I refuse to use MSD wires anymore. You shouldn't need any special tools to do the plugs. Summit Racing sells the socket you're talking about. I personally perfer to use a box-end wrench.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

the Taylor OVC wires are nice.
I had the same dilemma between the MSD opti and the dynaspark. I seen too many problems with the MSD rotor hitting the plate and whatnot so i steered away from it. Dynaspark has nothing but a good track record from what i read so i went with the dynaspark aswell. I ordered mine like 3weeks ago from Thunderracing and im still waiting on mine, Its not Thunder racing's fault it's actually Dynotech since they were waiting on the alum for the optis then they had to build them...from what I heard Thunderracing should have them this week and get them shipped out to customers who ordered them like me!

I personally think it was worth the wait cause i dont wanna deal with this dam GM opti crap again
Old 07-04-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Can I install the opti from the top or do I have to be under the car? Which way is easier? Lastly does anyone have a good writeup on doing the installation?
Old 07-06-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

bump! I need some help
Old 07-06-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bow94z
the Taylor OVC wires are nice.
+1
Old 07-06-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by porksoda
Can I install the opti from the top or do I have to be under the car? Which way is easier? Lastly does anyone have a good writeup on doing the installation?

Little of both. Drain the radiator and remove it. Then go to work. It's not that bad once you get going. Just keep your bolts organized and take your time.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks! So its pretty straight forward then?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by porksoda
Thanks! So its pretty straight forward then?
Oh yeah. Just put it back on the way it came off, don't be turning the motor or anything like that. If you still have a/c, should be able to leave the condenser in place, but you almost for certain have to get the radiator and fans out.