LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

frustrated!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frustrated!!

so tonight, i went out with a few friends to the bar... had a few drinks, played around a bit in the rain in the trans am and went to a friends house for a bit... so i get back into my car and click the ignition switch to start, and to my suprise, NOTHING! wtf, so then i proceed to play with it for a while, and when i got frustrated i just tried to take my key out, well... didnt work. so basically my key is broken off into the ignition and my car is stuck in front of a friends house. i guess go ahead and get a switch tomorrow, and grab the old trusty tech II and check it out. i will keep all of you posted, and if i dont get this straightened out tomorrow, i swear i will torch this bastard. i guess i am with the rest of the crowd when i say i fell in love with the wrong DAMN car!!! money pit maybe? son-of-a bitch this car is more expensive than the female sitting at the house!!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

btw, the car is a 96... and i believe i am having a VATS problem, i guess i have to waste my whole friday night playing with a VATS interrogator and a scan tool!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lol. that sucks. when u tried to turn it, did your lights all shut off or anything?

if its vats, try cleaning your key really good
Old 10-04-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a problem with the switch also they are fun to change.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i tried two keys, i dont think its sending the code to start the vehicle... and yea, it's pretty aggravating to change the switch. i believe it is a vats issue, i have a good feeling it broke the wires on the top of the ignition switch from binding up.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

then again, now that i think about it... i believe it is just a faulty switch, i felt alot of binding in it, and if it was a vats issue it would have turned over, just not started from disabling the pump. man, i guess i drank more than i thought! haha
Old 10-04-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLawson86
then again, now that i think about it... i believe it is just a faulty switch, i felt alot of binding in it, and if it was a vats issue it would have turned over, just not started from disabling the pump. man, i guess i drank more than i thought! haha
Ha Ha been there with the drinking part. My switch went bad it was sticky and rough to get to the start position for like two weeks then went out when I was at the car wash.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good damn thing i got paid last night. i am trying to log onto dealerworld and get into GM parts but my computer isnt wanting to load the page... aggravating ****, i guess i will just deal with it in the morning
Old 10-04-2007, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLawson86
Not true, I had a VATS issue and my starter didnt get any juice. To me it sounds like a VATS issue, just because I had the same thing happen. I cleaned my key and sprayed out the key hole with canned air.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i just read a bit on that, and i ordered a cylinder and switch... i do believe it is an issue with vats also. i was looking more into the oldsmobile and buick ordeal where it kills the pump... it's not the key though, i tried the spare also... like i said above, i think the wires were broken from the top to the cylinder... thanks for everyone's input. i also ordered the rack in the column because i think that is what is binding...
Old 10-05-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well to my suprise i came out alot cheaper than i thought. i bought the new lock cylinder, key, switch, and rack for $95.88. ya know, some days i honestly make myself believe working for GM has its perks
Old 10-05-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and now that i read all of my posts again, holy **** i said the same thing about the vats problem in every post... wow, another pointless post. good night folks, i will mess with the car in the morning and let you know the outcome
Old 10-06-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i installed the parts and nada... nothing! the security light is not illuminated, but i am getting nothing to the starter. i figured i may have had the switch slightly out of position, so i took it loose pulled it by hand, still nothing. i guess i have to start following the schematics and find the prob. any suggestions or former problems from others?

Quick Reply: frustrated!!