LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD opti is in and car is running!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD opti is in and car is running!!

I finally got to get some seat time in the car since the MSD opti was installed. First off...the MSD unit is awesome...what a nice piece...its was to cool looking to be buried behind the water pump. A for the car driving...it revs and drives and idles a whole lot smoother than it ever did with the stock one (78,000 miles). I hope to get to the track soon to see what it will run now. I have also taken the front sway bar off too, and switched to Royal Purple oil. Anyone know how much off my 60' I will lose without the swaybar? Hopefully skinnys will be next as well.

Boz
Old 10-05-2007, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just wait till you have problems with the awesome piece that you never had with the 78K mile stocker.
In all likelyhood you would have been BETTWER off with the MSD cap and rotor on that old stock base. The improvement you noticed is fromn a fresh cap and rotor not from "better" parts.

Royal Purple does not do so well on the street, fine for race applications but lacks endurance.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Every bit helps [ie FSB] but as far as your MSD opti its good to hear positive feedback about them for once! Mine has given me no probs.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problems here either, I really think we need a MSD opti happiness poll, and photo proof that you are actually running one and not just restating someone else's horror story.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Just wait till you have problems with the awesome piece that you never had with the 78K mile stocker.
In all likelyhood you would have been BETTWER off with the MSD cap and rotor on that old stock base. The improvement you noticed is fromn a fresh cap and rotor not from "better" parts.

Royal Purple does not do so well on the street, fine for race applications but lacks endurance.
I totally agree on both.

Wait untill you super msd begin to miss.The oem one is a better choice imo.

Also the royal purple is nothing else than a fair oil thats it.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

good job man

I actually have an MSD on my LT1 so I my opinion actually means something, you are gonna like it way better, my favorite thing about it is how it doesnt leak like a screen door on a sub like the oem unit does.

As long as you installed it correctly you should be 100%
Old 10-05-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i prefer a stocker also, but i have heard both on the MSD... (no personal experience on an opti from them, but i do run a pro-billet on my truck and love it) who cares as long as it runs right?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

I'm running an MSD opti... and my car is missing and throwing DTC 16. The distributor has been on for about a year, and it's got about 10k miles.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ecniv
I'm running an MSD opti... and my car is missing and throwing DTC 16. The distributor has been on for about a year, and it's got about 10k miles.
Oh goody, that's lo res failure. Not much way outta this one but buy another one.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Yep. I'm waiting to buy one until my new motor is closer to being finished. I'll be going with an OEM unit this time.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Yikes...I thought buying the MSD was a good move...now I'm not so sure...I guess time will tell. Anyone else having good experiences with the MSD opti?
Old 10-05-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

I've had mine in for about 5k miles and have had no problems whatsoever. I can say that I used the new square gasket from MSD though. I read about people having trouble with the round o-ring rolling off the lip of the distributor or just people installing it wrong. I have revved it to 6500rpm multiple times without as much as a hiccup. I absolutely love mine and wouldn't trade it for a GM.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

I've put well over 10k on mine since installing it last year, haven't had a issue yet, every time I drive the car it sees 5400 often. I know thats not high but I have a stock cam.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camar0corey
No problems here either, I really think we need a MSD opti happiness poll, and photo proof that you are actually running one and not just restating someone else's horror story.
Yeah no kidding! It seems as though as soon as anyone mentions MSD opti, the first response is always something negative about it. I have an MSD opti and it works fine...
Old 10-06-2007, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you pay attention the failure rate at LOW milage is higher than stock units.

People praise them because of improved running when they replace high milage units without taking into consideration ANY new cap and rotor would have done the same.

The more time I spend on these boards the more I learn you CAN NOT trust customer reviews because guys are going to want to see good in $500 parts wether there is good or not. Egos get in the way of information.

When a stocker works atall at 80K miles with an original cap and rotor that is proof of a good design, cap and rotor are wear items with any distributor, the spark jump there causes wear just like it does at the plugs.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by always faster
I totally agree on both.

Wait untill you super msd begin to miss.The oem one is a better choice imo.

Also the royal purple is nothing else than a fair oil thats it.
Originally Posted by ecniv
I am just curious how its missing and under what conditions. I only have mybe 3k on mine but my car has a bunch of other minor issues. First like a retard I instaled my new plug wires around the power steering pump wrong and some of them started getting cut through by the pulley. I have noticed now on at least 2 occasions when I stand on it getting on the expressway it seemed to stumble/hesitate at 3800 or 4200 rpm.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If you pay attention the failure rate at LOW milage is higher than stock units.

People praise them because of improved running when they replace high milage units without taking into consideration ANY new cap and rotor would have done the same.

The more time I spend on these boards the more I learn you CAN NOT trust customer reviews because guys are going to want to see good in $500 parts wether there is good or not. Egos get in the way of information.

When a stocker works atall at 80K miles with an original cap and rotor that is proof of a good design, cap and rotor are wear items with any distributor, the spark jump there causes wear just like it does at the plugs.
That is true... I guess when you pay $500 for a well respected brand name part you EXPECT it to far better than the part you replaced. But there is the chance unfortunetly with these units to pay $500 dollars and get nothing more than a hole in the pocket and a headache... Knock on wood I hope it is not the case with my unit. I chose the MSD unit since it gave me provisions to vent it whereas my stock unit wasn't and had moisture problems more than I care to count. Im not accusing stock untis of being bad since it did run the car to 100k before problems (BlueB4C bought it it had 94k on it).
Old 10-06-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Right, I replaced my cap and rotor when I did my head gaskets. Well fast forward 6 months later and a thousand miles(I was in Japan for 5 months) and the stock bottom half of the opti failed. Why? Rust. Hell there was a little in there when I did the cap and rotor, I should have returned those items and got a new unit then. Now with the msd unit, it is supposedly sealed better and also is vented, I didn't have to go out and get a 95+ timing chain or any of that other garbage to get a vented opti. I've thought about it now, I have probably about 20k or so on it.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that MSD opti approval thread is a good idea

Anyways, Oem opti isnt bad, but it does have its major flaws, three piece design, two of which are a polymer, gaskets on those are not replaceable. the open port on top for the optical sensor

all of these has been improved on the MSD, and to go further the MSD has a thicker disc and thicker housing, which both resist flexing and failure

plus its cool and red and has a name brand emblazoned across the front so it has to be the best
Old 10-07-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
I think that MSD opti approval thread is a good idea

Anyways, Oem opti isnt bad, but it does have its major flaws, three piece design, two of which are a polymer, gaskets on those are not replaceable. the open port on top for the optical sensor

all of these has been improved on the MSD, and to go further the MSD has a thicker disc and thicker housing, which both resist flexing and failure

plus its cool and red and has a name brand emblazoned across the front so it has to be the best
Haha yeah its definitly awesome looking and fit and finish I feel shows for something too! A stock opti might not be bad but the MSD appears to have the better design quaility in mind. Now if they could make them all be as reliable as intended then we wouldn't have to keep hearing horror stories and making us worry over nothing most likely.

I think the issues I am expieriencing now are from my fuel pump on its way out! I was driving down the road and it just died out for no reason to speak of (didn't want to start back up right away either), gets 200 mi to a tank of gas after a tune up (but may need a computer tune after the OR LTs and Y), and the performance is not where it should be for whats been done to the car! If the fuel pump was going out, then it would get poor performance, mileage due to low fuel pressure and possibly cause hesitation under full throttle in higher rpms, and die out unexpectedly when crusing down the road at 50, right? I am going to start a thread for this, sorry for the hyjack!

Quick Reply: MSD opti is in and car is running!!