LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

when is a head too big?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default when is a head too big?

I was planning on making a cylinder head upgrade to the AFR LT4 195cc competition package head. I have heard from a few people this head is to big for my motor as it is. I plan on one day stroking it but im in college and can either rebuild the motor with cheap/ not as good parts, or get good parts with the money i have. Ive got 1.6RR,headers, no cats, cai, N2O, and some other little things...With the heads I was planning on getting a 58mm throttle body, taking the intake in to get port matched, and a PCM4less tune.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are too much for the stock engine, because you will not be able to rev high enough to take advantage of the flow numbers they produce. You should either spend the money on something else or buy the heads and start building up a long block that will move enough air to need them.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CRAZZ28
Those are too much for the stock engine, because you will not be able to rev high enough to take advantage of the flow numbers they produce. You should either spend the money on something else or buy the heads and start building up a long block that will move enough air to need them.
They flow better at lower RPM's then stock heads, and this way i dont have to buy another set of heads later on...I can keep her at stock redline
Old 10-29-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Or just port your stock stuff and build a 355 w/n20!
Old 10-29-2007, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Or just port your stock stuff and build a 355 w/n20!
+1 for that
My buddy has Stage 3 heads with Stage 2 cams and the stock short block etc. on his '01 GT and even with the stock shift points the car runs like *** and the bottom end sucks so I personally wouldnt go overkill on the heads yet.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't say they are too big but I would say they are a poor choice.

The right choice is to have stock heads ported.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Which is great as long as you never hope to have a great chance at saving them, if you have a bad blow up... such as dropping a valve. The stock castings are not as strong as most aftermarket castings and can fairly easily turn into a pile of very expensive scrap metal. Other than that downfall stock castings being ported are not a bad option, they can flow really well.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:51 PM

I have done alot of research on afr cylinder heads and on cylinder heads period. The 195's are a real good head but they are not for just i mild built small block. AFRs flow number are some of the best flow numbers i have seen and this is from .200 lift and all the way to .600 lift. You may want to choose the 180cc for a better streetable motor. The flow numbers are a little less but they have more velocity and would be more streetable. You need to look into cam specs and match a cam to what the cylinder head can flow and also remember 195's while they have a bigger intake track doesnt mean bigger is always better. With a bigger intake track you lose velocity which is very important to how it flows. If your lookin for a fun streetable car on a budget you cannot beat edelbrocks performer rpms. They are significanty cheaper than other companies and there flow numbers are very respectable. I have gone 11.0 with a 79 camaro big block chevy 402 .030 over 407 ci with a set of performer rpms 315cc with a 871 littlefield blower and very mild cam i drove the hell out of it. I got those heads for a smokin deal 1145 bucks which for a big block chevy head is real cheap.

Last edited by BMC_Punisher; 11-04-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BMC_Punisher
I have done alot of research on afr cylinder heads and on cylinder heads period. The 195's are a good head but they are not for just i mild built small block. They can be ran on the street with a healthy motor. You need to look into cam specs and match a cam to what the cylinder head can flow and also remember 195's while they have a bigger intake track doesnt mean bigger is always better. With a bigger intake track you lose velocity which is very important to how it flows. If your lookin for a fun streetable car on a budget you cannot beat edelbrocks performer rpms. They are significanty cheaper than other companies and there flow numbers are very respectable. I have gone 11.0 with a 79 camaro big block chevy 402 .030 over 407 ci with a set of performer rpms 315cc intake track with a 871 littlefield blower and very mild cam i drove the hell out of it. I got those heads for a smokin deal 1145 bucks which for a big block chevy head is real cheap.

Don't try and apply what you learned on other applications to this one.
you are wrong, the Edelbrock and AFR stuff for the LT1 sucks.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fergymoto
if you have a bad blow up... such as dropping a valve. The stock castings are not as strong as most aftermarket castings and can fairly easily turn into a pile of very expensive scrap metal.
Sorry Bud, but it's all aluminum and it will all look pretty bad if you drop a valve.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:12 PM

Anything is going to look bad if you drop a valve. I have a friend who built a 407 small block and dropped a valve it demolished combustion chamber. We sent the head out and had new seats put in and they machined and reformed the combustion chamber. They work awesome i would like to see that done to an iron cylinder there is nothing wrong with aluminum cylinder heads
Old 11-05-2007, 02:02 AM
11 Second Club

Bad information is strong in this thread.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lock This Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry Bud, but it's all aluminum and it will all look pretty bad if you drop a valve
Sorry BUD, but you missed my point. What I am saying is when something like that does happen, it is a lot easier to save a heavier casting because more than likely it will take on less damage deeper in. Surface damage isn't nearly as difficult or expensive to fix as something being busted deep down through.

I have worked in a machine shop, I have seen a decent amount of damaged castings, and thirdly I am going through it right now with my Lingenfelter CNCd stock castings. So BUDDY, I do believe what I am saying is credible and realistic.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

O Snap!
What are the final intentions for the car? Street or track only? Just how much money are you wanting to spend? Stock ported heads will work well, but if you are going to do more in the long run, then go with aftermarket heads. I'm with Fergy on this one, but I will be having my stock ones redone b/c it's cheaper
Old 11-05-2007, 05:54 PM

Sorry BUD, but you missed my point. What I am saying is when something like that does happen, it is a lot easier to save a heavier casting because more than likely it will take on less damage deeper in. Surface damage isn't nearly as difficult or expensive to fix as something being busted deep down through.

I have worked in a machine shop, I have seen a decent amount of damaged castings, and thirdly I am going through it right now with my Lingenfelter CNCd stock castings. So BUDDY, I do believe what I am saying is credible and realistic.
I do see your point and i dont argue aluminum is softer and yes if you drop a valve an aluminum head is going to take more damage. Both can be fixed though i dont want to argue or say im right take my way i just wanted to give him some input he doesnt have to stick to just stock casting or a cast steel head. We have ran lots of aluminum cylinder heads and had no problems. But yes thats my personal experiences. I wouldnt be that worried about dropping a valve on such a mild street motor though.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

I wasn't talking to you man, I was talking to Gizmo lol
Old 11-05-2007, 06:09 PM

I wasn't talking to you man, I was talking to Gizmo lol
damn it fergy i thought you were talking to me lol
Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Bad information is strong in this thread.
Best post in this thread! ^^^^^
Old 11-05-2007, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, **** I'm throwing my 13 year old junk LPE/E.B. Porting stock castings in the trash...thank god for this thread.....I was starting to go too fast anyway...

--Alan