LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

help please starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help please starter problems

Ok lets start, the car ran fine I have a 1995 lt1 trans am. It would run and drive, then it sat up for a few months at a friends house, he said his mom wanted him to move it so he tried to start it and the starter acted like it wasn't engauging.

I bring it to my house, remove the starter and find out that it was busted, put a new one on it and it still does the same thing. I checked the wiring, it is fine. I can turn the motor over by hand, when the key is inserted everything comes on, I can listen to radio etc.

So what could this be? I am not an idiot so please dont ask me questions like is my starter loose. No its not it is securly bolted in there, the wires are ran correctly. This is a new starter.

When I look under there (when I assembled the motor I left out the plate between the tranny and engine) it almost looks like the gear is not big enough to fully mesh up with the starter.

I replaced it again , and still the same thing. I know someone out there has to have then answer thanks.

*z28rocks*
Old 11-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Launching!

What does it do when you turn the key, does the starter click, make no sound, etc.....????????
Old 11-09-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried new battery? When mine died all of my accessories came on but engine wouldn't crank,it just clicked.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Yes I have tried different battries I get a constant 13 volts also.

When trying to turn over you can hear the starter act like it is engaging and turning, its like like it can't latch onto the flywheel teeth so it does more than just a clicking it is actually trying to engage while at the same time spinning but not touching the flywheel.

I checked out the flywheel teeth and all of them are fine .
Old 11-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

If the starter is in deed working,the gear is engaging the flywheel then, the starter needs to be shimmed so the gear may go under it to spin the flywheel. If the gear is not engaging, the bendix is burned up.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Just curious , you say I need to shim the starter, I was thinking that but shouldn't from the factory they should come install ready? Did any of you guys have to shim your starters and if you did what was your method of doing it?

I went outside again and removed the starter just to check it out and it looks fine, I think o'reillys is getting mad that I keep taking starters back.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Does the starter you have now looks like the one you took off, can you take the gear and push it forward to see if it will fit under or touch the flywheel. There should be at least 1/8th of a inch clearence between the flywheel, and the bendix rod. Some factory rides come off the floor with starter shims. Also, check the flywheel for cracks, flywheels rings do brake loose at the welds or around bolt holes. I am thinking if the starter busted so may be the flywheel.

Last edited by 98pontiacfirehawk; 11-09-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this might make me look like an idiot, but since you say you've rebuilt this motor did you change flywheels by any chance? because there is 2 different flywheels that could be ran. that could cause an issue.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Alright I just tried shimming the starter and no good, still made that semi grind sound like it was trying to engage but it couldn't. The exact same sound the busted starter made.

I stuck a bit I found that measured about 1/8th and it would barely go in between, I had to give them the busted starter but yes they do look similar as far as specific details I wouldn't be able to lay any out.

I took off the starter again, looked at the flywheel thoroughly compared the teeth to other teeth and look around the flywheel and see no visible cracking or wear on the teeth.

It feels like it is probably a simply problem but it is taking so long
Old 11-09-2007, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 355z28
this might make me look like an idiot, but since you say you've rebuilt this motor did you change flywheels by any chance? because there is 2 different flywheels that could be ran. that could cause an issue.
Nope , I am so dumbfounded. Here is a new update, my oil pan has a hole in it that looks like something from the outside blew out , it is along the rim but the motor still turns over by hand so I don't know. I heard there are different tooth numbers on automatics and manuals so I am probably going to take the starter back tomorrow to make sure it is for a manual.

I really have no idea what this could be, problems are just popping up with this car, I have no idea how this hole got there, the car never leaked oil the last time I drove it.

I leave it at a friends house for a few months, all of a sudden , busted starter and hole in oil pan. All this for a car I put together to be reliable.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:28 AM
On The Tree

Alright I reran my hotwire for my starter, I went to turn the car over. And it made no sound at all, then smoke started coming from the starter region. I looked under, and saw the cracked housing on the starter. Sigh , any ideas?

Really going to hate replacing the starter again just for it to bust, I am not sure if this is a step forward or back, but atleast the starter did something other than grinding.

It made one click sound, then no sounds at all, nothing. I didn't hold it for more than a second, I tried bumping it a bit and thats when it appeard to have busted along with the smoke.